overrestored
15 years ago
the project...

Take a seriously hammered series II 88" Land Rover pick up...

Build a custom frame to lower it 14 inches and give it a:

-356 Porsche super 90 engine
-narrowed swing axle trans
-narrowed type III rear end
-narrowed type I front end

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Heh heh! 😎
I´ve been wondering what had happened to this.
I applaud you sir!:beer:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Seems like a waste of a good 356 engine to me :lol: But I think thats because you guys over the pond have far more 356's and far less land rovers than we do.
There is a Landy in every lane here! One of the first cars I ever drove around for practice before I got my licence was a series 1, I remember having a very sore bum, it was a rough old ride! and that was at standard height! Owen had one too.

I am sure whatever you build will be very clever, but personally I think a lot of truck type cars just look really silly lowered, ie. the matador for one.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
overrestored
15 years ago
ah yes... It does look silly... and that is the point. With this one vehicle... I can upset (or make happy) the Porsche guys.. the vw guys... the rat rod guys... the english car guys... the offroad guys... the list is just endless.

Much fun to be had.

With regards to the engine... the super 90 is temporary... It is the spare engine from my 356... and I just rebuilt the original engine... so the super 90 is laying around bored in the corner next to a monster 1500 deep sumped okrasa I don't need either.... Both of these are waiting for cars.

Eventually I want to put a 350hp subaru in the Rover... so that I can also go to the Japanese car events. Alternatively... I could toss a rack of batteries in it and go electric... But I am not that eco minded just yet... and the Environmental car movement has yet to hold any hot rod type events.

mrsherbie
15 years ago

Much fun to be had.

overrestored wrote:

OOH you are naughty! :lol: I knew you must have some sort of crazy plan :lol:

I have never said this about any other car ever! BUT I just know you will far improve its boneshaker suspension/ride from the original!

( Disclaimer - But this in no way alters my view and others who frequent this site or the fact that beetles and 356 work far better at stock height than with broken up wheels and junky mods) :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
overrestored
14 years ago
the rover project is slowly moving along. Brake lines are done... utilizing the rover pedal cluster... a new rover master... and the disc brakes.

same with the clutch... we went hydraulic with it... since the rover has an hydraulic clutch master already... and it is easier than trying to cut and shorten the cable.

Slow and steady

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Dereck-J
14 years ago
I'd love to see more on this, please. With my love of VW/Porsches and my dad's love of Land Rovers, this could be the perfect father/son project 🙂
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I'd love to see more on this, please. With my love of VW/Porsches and my dad's love of Land Rovers, this could be the perfect father/son project :)

Dereck-J wrote:

You could build a diesel Land Rover engined Porsche together!8)

:lol: :lol:
(Sorry, couldn´t resist!)
UserPostedImage
phil leadley
14 years ago
This is what I get for prowling this forum. I love it! Eric you're far more twisted than I imagined- BRAVO. I wish I'd thought of it first. Can't wait to see it
at a Bug-In with a stinger poking out the back. If not a Subie, how about a huge type 4? torquey,reliable,compact package. FAT perf. made tons of them,
easy bolt in, probably push a LR faster than it should go.
overrestored
14 years ago

You could build a diesel Land Rover engined Porsche together!8)

:lol: :lol:
(Sorry, couldn´t resist!)

JD wrote:

I always wanted to borrow a Porsche turbo... and then stick in a stock 36 horse with "peashooters" and cruise the VW classic with it... Maybe put a single velocity stack on the single carb... for that "performance" look. With this combo... you could easily win the stupidest car contest.
phil leadley
14 years ago
Eric, I still hold the stupidest car at a Bug-In record. When the bug-in was open to all air cooled cars, I ran a 58 2 CV in the bracket 6 drag race class.
I used a 3rd. gear start (centrifugal clutch), we finally broke out when the wind picked up on my 35 sec. dial in. Anything for a laugh :lol:
sambyanis
14 years ago
Hi! You are doing nice work. Post when you will complete it.
Volkswagen Jetta 2008 Volkswagen Headlights 
overrestored
14 years ago
it steers
it brakes
it has a throttle assembly
it has suspension
it has a clutch and trans and shifter
it has a fuel system

all utilizing the stock Rover dash, steering column and pedals

it needs the engine and surrounding tin and wiring

super 90 356 engine is sitting next to it... dreams in my head now of a nice oldschool 48 ida weber vw motor though...

I am thinking of calling it.."the creature" as in... "igor... it's alive"

Got any other name ideas for it?

UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
zelensis61
14 years ago
Nice work...For me it is a Volksrover:lol:
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
overrestored
14 years ago
it looks so tiny.

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Love it! How does it go?
UserPostedImage