jonf
  • jonf
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
Has anyone ever done this or know of anywhere that will restore a batwing 1954 steering wheel?

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
PM me i know a guy in Birmingham that does an excellent job.
He is very busy,you will not have to be in a hurry.
But he does an excellent job.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I'm doing one right now. Theres a kit from Frosts or one of these mail order companies, but its expensive. Possibly more than a better wheel would cost you.

What I'm doing however is using some chemical metal type stuff, such as JB weld to fill any cracks (there are lots...). File out the cracks nice and wide to give the filler something to stick to, and file it to shape. Then re fill the low spots and file to shape. Repaet ad nauseum. Next I have been told you can use 2pack primer, brushed on very thick and sanded back to shape, to fill any impefections. I didn't fancy this though (that paint is bad news - very poisonous!) so I'm trying plastic primer (meant for spoiler and bumpers on new cars) and then primer filler and see how that goes. If it doesn't react horribly, or crack, then I'll get it painted with a nice thick top coat. Rattle can paint won't cut it on something that you touch all the time.

Hope this helps.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mmayson
16 years ago

Has anyone ever done this or know of anywhere that will restore a batwing 1954 steering wheel?

"jonf" wrote:

Check this site out, it was really helpful when I did mine.

https://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqstrg.htm 
Michael Mayson
nr 11
16 years ago
Indeed, this is a good start. Count the many hours for rubbing the wheel.
But in the end, it gives you a perfect result.

stef  12813.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.