johudso
16 years ago
is it possible to add a right hand mirror to my 1966 bug?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1958 Harry
16 years ago
Yes but you need to make sure your car has the right hinge pin to mount the mirror it'll have a threaded top if its the right one, if not you'll need to change the hinge pin, VW Heritage sell em, they are a right pain to get out tho!
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
johudso
16 years ago

"johudso" wrote:

if so what is the best way to get the door pin out?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
A door hinge pin extraction tool.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Jules
16 years ago

"johudso" wrote:

You are LHD, right?

Before you go to the trouble of removing and swapping your hinge pin work out what mirror you are going to use. If you use the regular 'Pear' shaped mirror chances are you won't see a thing out of it. We offer both Pear shape and round mirrors on an extended arm to get around this problem. Call me if you want?

Alberts?

mrsherbie
16 years ago

Alberts?

"Jules" wrote:

Nooo!!!! :shock: :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
djkeev
16 years ago

Hi,
I hope this information helps you decide what to do. I'd really weigh how badly you want a right side mirror. While the cost in money isn't high, the cost in aggravation and possible finish damage is.

I suspect that you are not in the USA but here is some information on parts, both the mirror and the pin ....

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/mirrors/beetle_mirror.cfm 

As far as hinge pin removal, realize some paint damage is going to occur no matter how careful you are, it just seems to be the nature of the project.

Here is a forum on hinge removal with photos of the proper tool as well as suggestions by others about how to do it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257772&highlight=hinge+pin+tool 

Good luck, let us know what you did and how it turned out.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

"JD" wrote:

I've just ordered and paid for one from the states,first time in years i've seen them advertised  13815.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Chris
16 years ago

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

I've just ordered and paid for one from the states,first time in years i've seen them advertised

"JD" wrote:

Great stuff Matey, I'm sure that will come in handy :wink:  13820.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Arrived today.
Bloody heavy,think it will probably pull the doors off, not the pins out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: