overrestored
17 years ago
Over the last few weeks I have received emails from about 4 Lawrence Rometsch owners. Each of them has wanted information on their cars which I don't keep track of. I only follow the Beeskow cars. There is a big need to form a registry for the Lawrence cars. I am suggesting that this forum could be a great place for these owners to contact each other.

SO...

If you are an owner of a Lawrence bodied Rometsch... please reply to this forum so other lawrence guys can find you.

I am trying to contact Phil Leadley.. he and his wife Mary Beth (now deceased) used to keep the original Rometsch Registry. When I get this info I will have Oystein Asphell add this Lawrence info into our existing Beeskow registry. Until then perhaps it is best to start a new registry here.

Eric Meyer
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
fantakid
17 years ago
Hello Erik,
i do not think you will have sucsess at Phil Leadly. When Guido van Zundert was friend with Gabriel Sancess ( I think this is how he was written ) they ür Gabrial were at Phils house. Gabriel told me that he got the list. He went to some of the adresses from the list ( registy ) and that is were and how he found some cars ( the Lawrence from Guido from Holland and the car Randy can buy )
As i know Gabriel has the list now
Bye Christian
pre67vw
17 years ago

I am suggesting that this forum could be a great place for these owners to contact each other.

SO...

If you are an owner of a Lawrence bodied Rometsch... please reply to this forum so other lawrence guys can find you.

Eric Meyer

"overrestored" wrote:

Sounds like a great idea Eric, post has been made sticky...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
oldbug.com
17 years ago
I can try to contact Gabriel, or at least his wife to see if he has this information anywhere. A local investor bought the car he had remaining and I am overseeing the restoration. It should be completed soon...hopefully by the VW Classic in June.
SplitPersonality
17 years ago

I am suggesting that this forum could be a great place for these owners to contact each other.

When I get this info I will have Oystein Asphell add this Lawrence info into our existing Beeskow registry. Until then perhaps it is best to start a new registry here.

Eric Meyer

"overrestored" wrote:

Certainly a great initiative Eric - it is about time somebody pulls together for the sake of the late models as well.

For the record - the official Rometsch Beeskow Registry now counts a total of 32 confirmed 1951-1957 Rometsch Beeskow cars in the world at this moment. We would love to include "activists" and details regarding the Lawrence models as well. My guess is there are more than 32 of such. And how about the taxis?
oldbug.com
16 years ago
Well then...great idea but no follow through?

OK people...how about posting your Lawrence cars?
Should we post photos or body numbers or both?

I'll start with the ones I have handled...  9694.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oldbug.com
16 years ago
And another (almost done!)  9695.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
16 years ago

Should we post photos or body numbers or both?

"oldbug.com" wrote:

I would suggest as much info as you are willing to part with!

If anyone wants to post numbers/info anonymously then email me directly and I'd be happy to put it up on your behalf. rob 🇦🇹 pre67vw.co.uk
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
SplitPersonality
16 years ago
Something for the LawrenceLovers....

EBay #: 360007711618
simon hall
15 years ago
Mine can be added
Told from many sources it is the only RHD in existence
UserPostedImage
DeanDG
15 years ago
😛 Mark and Ray did an outstanding job on the Rometsch. These cars are one of the most difficult to restore and the decision has to be made at some point to either totally restore or stabilized it in an unrestored condition. The later choice was not an option if I remember correctly what the car looked like before.
Will the Rometsch be at the Kelly Park Show next month?

R. Dean
pbaptist
14 years ago
Did anyone allready started the Lawrence registry.

Last week I search the whole internet and find pictures of different lawrences.

I will give a first start for the registry:
First the one with known bodynumbers

Nr 526 Right hand drive cabrio and currently for sale.
UserPostedImage

Nr 555 rat looker race coupe ex Chris Morley, now kieft en klok:
UserPostedImage

Nr 559: Black coupe restored by Lenny Copp. Is this now owned by flat4??:
UserPostedImage

Nr 563: Convertible, posted by Lenny Copp in thesmaba gallery:
UserPostedImage

Nr 564: Coupe, ex Cris Morley, now Kieft en klok and for sale!
UserPostedImage

Nr 566: Convertible, restored by Oldbug
UserPostedImage

Now the ones without know bodynumber:

Coupe's:

red-white coupe in VW museum:
UserPostedImage

Second red-white coupe in Germany.
UserPostedImage

Black coupe BRT237, located in Germany
UserPostedImage

Beautifull black coupe shown at the Greenwich Concours 2009:
UserPostedImage

Red coupe with sunroof, ex BBT now in the Grundmann museum
UserPostedImage

Cabrio's:

Blue-blue convertible in the Grundmann museum (this car was previously orange)
UserPostedImage

Convertible with 69 on the side, sold by vdubjim in 2005:
See: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94627 
UserPostedImage

Beautifull black cabrio form germany:
UserPostedImage

White and black convertible in the US:
UserPostedImage

Regards
Patrick

brille52
14 years ago
....and the blue Coupé stored in a barn here in a 30 min. drive from my hometown.....

a8)  IMG_0374.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0376.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0380.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0390.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
14 years ago
Hmmm, guess I have to look around this summer in Italia! :wink:

Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
heb623
14 years ago
a8) Is that car for sale?
If it is can you pm me?
In case I win the lottery next weekend I would like to buy and restore it!!:shock:
(and not in the "Sharky" or "Tina" way) :oops: :oops: :oops:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
GKL 7
14 years ago
:lol:

Seems some very nice cars have been hidden away in your area Andreas.
pbaptist
14 years ago
Here are some more pictures of Rometsch Laurences that I found on the internet. Any info on the present condition of location would be nice.

Found some on bugnet.de in the lost and found section
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And one that showed up in the gallery of thesamba:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Another old picture of a black one.
UserPostedImage

And a "need to be restored" one:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Bjoern
14 years ago
The picture on top was made at Peter Frieds shop near Ludwigshafen. The car is the blue-blue one which was restored by the Grundmanns. The red-black body was shot in Hessisch Oldendorf. The car is actually owned by the Volkswagen Museum in Wolfsburg. The pricture of the crashed Rometsch was mad in Guido's shop in Netherlands. The car still exist there, but is actually cuttet in pieces. The orange one was restaured Rampsberger and is the black one who is known by the visitors of Bad Camberg or Hessisch Oldendorf in the past years. It is now a part of a very interesting collection close to Bremen / Germany. The silver one was for sale in Bonn area 15 years ago. It is owned by a Rometsch-collector from Solingen.

A few month ago, an unknown Lawerence with boynumber 534 was found in switzerland. It was stocked in an old factory and hidden unter a few dozends of washingmachines (!).
pbaptist
14 years ago

The picture on top was made at Peter Frieds shop near Ludwigshafen. The car is the blue-blue one which was restored by the Grundmanns. The red-black body was shot in Hessisch Oldendorf. The car is actually owned by the Volkswagen Museum in Wolfsburg. The pricture of the crashed Rometsch was mad in Guido's shop in Netherlands. The car still exist there, but is actually cuttet in pieces. The orange one was restaured Rampsberger and is the black one who is known by the visitors of Bad Camberg or Hessisch Oldendorf in the past years. It is now a part of a very interesting collection close to Bremen / Germany. The silver one was for sale in Bonn area 15 years ago. It is owned by a Rometsch-collector from Solingen.

A few month ago, an unknown Lawerence with boynumber 534 was found in switzerland. It was stocked in an old factory and hidden unter a few dozends of washingmachines (!).

Bjoern wrote:

Bjoern, thank for your comments on the Lawrences cars.
Do you have pictures of the 534 car.

I know Guido car is body 558, it is now in hands of a Dutch collector that own two lawrences. He also has a coupe. I hope to see both his car somewere in the next few weeks.

You write that the orange is now Black and was shown of the big european vintage meetings. Than it must be the black car wih licence plate D EZ58H, is that correct? Do you happened to know the number of this car?

I really like the silver one. You write that is is owned by a Rometsch collector, what other Rometsches does this person has?

You can also PM me, if you don't want certain information on the internet.
My goal however is to add the lawrences to the Rometsch registry (as soon as this is on-line again) therefor I really like to know the bodynumbers of the cars.

Regards
Patrick
phil leadley
14 years ago
The red and black coupe, san's chassis sat in my back yard for 20 yrs. We rescued the car in about 1980, used it as a parts donor till approx. 2002.
I still have the b pillar badges as momento's. The yellow doors and deck lid in the background came from a fellow in Desconso, Ca. who also had a 58
coupe, same color. We bought his spares, but had to pass on the coupe. In the 70's these cars had very low value, and were beyond the skill level of most
VW people. Prior to our cabrio, few people had completed a restoration, much less a sale to establish a benchmark value. The degree of difficulty still
remains high as well as resto costs. At least now the cars have accepted values, in 1978 we spent $10K + on a car few had even seen. Countless times I was asked " whats it worth?" I have no idea. Hell! we didn't know what the car was supposed to look like! We restored it from 1 picture!

Now thanks to the hard work of many people, you can restore a Rometsch correctly and share it with other car lovers. Because in the end thats all that
really matters, dollars or euro's can't buy what you receive when you show (share) your car.

Please forgive my passion, I (we) put heart and soul into promoting Rometsch cars, to the point of burnout. At least a hundred car show and Concour
events, countless magazine shoots, books, TV interviews, and correspondence, took a toll. After 1996 I had to quit, I don't remember what I did with the
records from the Registry (ask the Grundmanns?) Years of depression and a heart attack reek havoc on ones memory, now 13 yrs. later I can talk about it.

The photos of the car with the VW NUT plates, our car at a VWVCC meet at Don Burns VW dealer in Garden Grove Ca. circa 1976. Note the ghia rear bumper,
it took me three years to find a replacement.

We sold our cabrio in 94 to Dr. Mac Jones of Somerville, Tenn. The black cabrio with the porsche grille could be the same car years later?

I miss my friend Willie Lottermann.