54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hi

Can anyone tell me if these headlamps are correct for a Febuary 55 RHD bug?

UserPostedImage
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagevw
15 years ago
I guess they are a bit later.
Do they have the BOSCH logo on the chrome ring?
My april 55 haves Hella units.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
That type was used on August '55 and later cars in the UK.

Yours would have most likely been Hella ones with 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock adjusters.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Thanks Rich for the remark about 5 and 7-o'clock adjusters. Following the OP's questions and picture, we were committed to buying these but it was a good price so we're not worried :d I think they are definitely later than we'd like but they are closer than the ones currently on the car!

Are these possibly Dutch headlights (see the NL logo)?
UserPostedImage

Yes, they have a Bosch logo on the rim:
UserPostedImage

Is that a date code at the end of the 1st line? Is that 1/57?
UserPostedImage
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Those lights are 58 and later !

Guido
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I have a lovely pair of the same Bosch lights that I was going to fit to my Feb55 as I have always liked the Bosch glass, and have never been certain about which lights were correct during oval period, I know as many ovals wearing Bosch as Hella's. But my car's og ones were definitely Hella as they are dated correct, so I have to stick with them. Even though I dont think they look as nice.
Bosch does seem to be more common during later 50's though, certainly pretty much all og 58+ beetles we get have Bosch fitted, and all 40's beetles and splits seem to wear Hella's.
(Also all our Barndoor og lights are only Hella's with logo'd chromes)

BUT, I am certain pre55 Porsche wear Bosch(maybe Hella also but I really dont know enough yet) as we have some Bosch logo'd, (both large and small (as above) Bosch logo's) And Dr Johnson told me that our large logo lights are 50 & 51 Porsche! :d

So I am still confused myself for definite about the logo'd chrome's? Pre55 Hella chrome was logo'd, so you would think Bosch would follow?

I can never remember how to date the Bosch ( But Etzhold does! :d ) as they are harder than Hella, which are easy to date.

Regardless, they are nice lights you have, the Bosch glass with the rope design is SO nice, I would use them anyway if you have them :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
15 years ago

BUT, I am certain pre55 Porsche wear Bosch(maybe Hella also but I really dont know enough yet)

mrsherbie wrote:

I'm as confused as you are now.
Judson53
15 years ago
Ive got hella on my 53 oval and on my 55 splitscreen
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Those lights are 58 and later !

Guido

Etzhold1 wrote:

Thanks Guido (and everyone else). I've definitely learned something here.

So, a set of these beauty's should do it for an early '55?
 IMG_0780-Edit.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0781-Edit.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago
A Feb Bosch headlight is marked with "2 L"
2 = feb
L = 1955
A Hella headlight is marked with "N 5"
N = 1955
5 = 5th week
What is the code from your headlights?

Guido
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I'm as confused as you are now.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Its good to be confused, keeps the mind active :lol:

My Feb 55's Hellas are 'M's which would be 54.
I dont have a pic on me at the mo.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
2 or 3 months earlyer then the car was delivered is correct !
Yours are maybe 48-52 M lights

About the bosch rings , they had 2 different Bosch inscriptions, large and small !
I have here several early porsche lenses, are you interested or do you know people who could be interested because I would like to sell them !

Guido
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I only remember the M but cant remember the week numbers now they are back in the car but I think they are double numbers.

I have a pair of Bosch lights here on my desk right now to fit on the 356 with small logo chromes and the reflectors have 5L. Close enough replacements I think considering it was wearing 60's lights when we bought it :lol: (and no, they are not the one in my pic with vw logo glass!)

I have here several early porsche lenses, are you interested or do you know people who could be interested because I would like to sell them !
Guido

Etzhold1 wrote:

We have some too but in no rush to sell ours although a few people have expressed an interest on the samba so you should sell yours no problem. I wanted to fit large logo to our 55 356 but Dr Johnson emailed me to say they would be too early :shock: So I am fitting smaller logo.
If beetles were never fitted with Bosch pre56, yet Porsche were never fitted with Hella pre56? This is where my confusion lies :?

UserPostedImage
Etzhold1
15 years ago
:?  scan.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Thanks Guido (and everyone else). I've definitely learned something here.

So, a set of these beauty's should do it for an early '55?

tman wrote:

Yes to the lights themselves, but that split glass lens is too early for oval ?
mrsherbie
15 years ago

:?

Etzhold1 wrote:

:shock: Hooray! :beer:
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Early 356 Bosch and hella lens !
Somebody told me the hella lens is PrĂ© A ???  IMG_5013.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5015.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
15 years ago
But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life.  comic-book-guy-photo_148x250.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Etzhold1
15 years ago
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
pre67vw
15 years ago
Just kidding Guido, it's all very interesting... :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW