55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
When I was getting into VW's, word got out about an Oval in a local scrapyard. After a little searching, I came across this poor little Oval about to meet its maker.

UserPostedImage

My records are pretty good and I can tell you the photos were taken at the scrapyard in Belgrave Road, Swathling (on the outskirts of Southampton) on 2nd November 1985, I was 17 then!!! I think the car had been sitting in a garden of a house in Southampton for many years and was well known by some of the older members of the HVWOC.

Perhaps if one of them is reading this, they can comment on its identity, i.e. reggy and year.

Sad, but they were not all destined for the VW concours.....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

RIP
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
15 years ago
Shame, but just one of countless others. I remember one being sat outside a garage halfway between here and Wrexham (now an place that sells AGAs and whatnot I think) for a number of weeks, I was very young so I'm guessing it was the early 1980s. I'd been on at my parents to stop and ask if it was for sale for weeks, as I wanted a Beetle even back then. One week they relented, and we stopped at the garage only to see the thing lying around the forecourt, cut up into several pieces...
You can call me Al.
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

My records are pretty good and I can tell you the photos were taken at the scrapyard in Belgrave Road, Swathling (on the outskirts of Southampton) on 2nd November 1985, I was 17 then!!! I think the car had been sitting in a garden of a house in Southampton for many years and was well known by some of the older members of the HVWOC.

Perhaps if one of them is reading this, they can comment on its identity, i.e. reggy and year.

Sad, but they were not all destined for the VW concours.....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

RIP

55Kab wrote:

The only Hants members who read these pages are myself, Dave Cantle (who lurks), Anna and Robin Allen.

The best bets are Dave and Robin. Dave views from work but they have recently blocked all pictures so he won't be much help in this case so it just leaves Robin who visits one in a blue moon. I'll rattle Robin's cage.:lol:
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

The only Hants members who read these pages are myself, Dave Cantle (who lurks), Anna and Robin Allen.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

And me! Formerly anyway.

What ever happened to Dave Farmers (?) yard down towards Fawley? Used to go down there quite often.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Robin Allen
15 years ago
Sorry guys - I didn't know anything about this Oval. To answer the other question about Dave Farmer's yard - I did know him. Since the mid 1960s when my older brother had Beetles. We lived in Andover at the time and used to go to Dave's place in Kingsclere (between Newbury & Basingstoke). He lived next to the Fire Station and broke VWs for spares as well as selling new parts. I believe he was a pilot then, or at least something in aviation and used to fly in lots of bits from Germany - I remember him selling kits to chop out split or oval windows to fit the post-1957 square ones! How times change. Later he moved to Arters Lawn, near Ashurst, again turning the garden of a nice house into a scrapyard. That was too much for Mrs F and I think they broke up. He took on the yard within the scrapyard in Lime Kiln Lane - he never seemed to change! He died about 8 to 10 years ago and his little patch has gone now.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Robin, ask Dave C, I'm sure he'll remember it. Failing then even Al may know.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
bloody hell!! whens the last time you saw an early oval in an english scrapyard!! what a waste, people are restoring worse ovals than that car now...