vintagevw
15 years ago
I think I was at the VW Action in 1991, one of my first oversees meetings!
It was big those days.:beer:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Dubster
15 years ago
I'd completely forgot about Rattletrap, I now remember reading about the car in VW Motoring during the eighties. The DVLA have the car down as a 1950, the museum doesn't have it SORNed either :d

The vehicle details for 10 BXK are:

Date of Liability 21 12 1994
Date of First Registration 02 03 1961
Year of Manufacture 1950
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1192CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLACK

December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
paulbugman
15 years ago
you think after doing all that work on it ,you could get some decent number plates done
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I have a feeling that this was at Stonor in 88! Im sure ive seen some pictures of it at the show with a big banner over it saying something about highest mileage beetle in existence! :?:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

I have a feeling that this was at Stonor in 88! Im sure ive seen some pictures of it at the show with a big banner over it saying something about highest mileage beetle in existence! :?:

54 Gertie wrote:

You got a good memory Will! I've deffo got pics of it like that somewhere. I'll scan 'em and post 'em up.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

You got a good memory Will! I've deffo got pics of it like that somewhere. I'll scan 'em and post 'em up.

55Kab wrote:

I want there, I want even born then!:lol:

I just remember seeing a photo of a black split in 88 with a banner over it! Cant think where......:twisted:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

I want there, I want even born then!:lol: Cant think where......:twisted:

54 Gertie wrote:

WOW!:shock: Now I am feeling old:lol: :lol:

Found the pics, it was indeed Stonor Park
54 Gertie
15 years ago

WOW!:shock: Now I am feeling old:lol: :lol:

Founds the pics, it was indeed Stonor Park

55Kab wrote:

Hurry up and post them!:d :wink:
William
Robin Allen
15 years ago
I just want to agree with those who say the current Rattletrap is a fake. If there's nothing left of the original car (not even the nut that used to hold the steering wheel!) it's time it was re-registered. The original 1950 car died years ago. I saw it before its accident too although I didn't get to see the chassis number, but I agree that the story Mr Levy used to tell about the "experimental" thing was a load of rubbish, or at least, didn't apply to this particular car. It was a Zwitter even before the accident. Isn't there a story about Abraham Lincoln's original yard broom that has only had 5 new heads and 3 new handles? If you change the chassis and body, it isn't the original anymore. (Sorry, this is a topic which winds me up)
GKL 7
15 years ago

I just want to agree with those who say the current Rattletrap is a fake. If there's nothing left of the original car (not even the nut that used to hold the steering wheel!) it's time it was re-registered. The original 1950 car died years ago. I saw it before its accident too although I didn't get to see the chassis number, but I agree that the story Mr Levy used to tell about the "experimental" thing was a load of rubbish, or at least, didn't apply to this particular car. It was a Zwitter even before the accident. Isn't there a story about Abraham Lincoln's original yard broom that has only had 5 new heads and 3 new handles? If you change the chassis and body, it isn't the original anymore. (Sorry, this is a topic which winds me up)

Robin Allen wrote:

X2
Rattletraps history was always dubious.
55Kab
15 years ago

Hurry up and post them!:d :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Here you go...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Brilliant pics! Yeah that is deffo Stonor!:d

Is that pre or post accident?:wink:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

Is that pre or post accident?:wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Pre accident. Pretty sure it was Stonor 87 as 88 was dull and I was there in 89 with my Cal-Look:wink:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
UserPostedImage

Ooh, ooh, ooh!8)

I have a feeling that the brownish ragtop in the top right of that photo may be our 55! She was at Stonor 87 and although she now has a beige ragtop, that is just painted over a black/purple cover.

Ill have a better look!:d
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

Ooh, ooh, ooh!8)

I have a feeling that the brownish ragtop in the top right of that photo may be our 55! She was at Stonor 87 and although she now has a beige ragtop, that is just painted over a black/purple cover.

Ill have a better look!:d

54 Gertie wrote:

Yeah, im sure it is!:lol:

do you have to original scan or photo, just for better quality?:wink:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
:wink: Excited!:wink:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

Yeah, im sure it is!:lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Can certainly send you a higher res of the photo Will but I'm afraid to say I think that car was the famous Ragtop Oval PWP 8 that did the rounds at the time.

Need to see in the photo I took of PWP 8 that day whether the other cars you can see are in the background.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Can certainly send you a higher res of the photo Will but I'm afraid to say I think that car was the famous Ragtop Oval PWP 8 that did the rounds at the time.

Need to see in the photo I took of PWP 8 that day whether the other cars you can see are in the background.

55Kab wrote:

That would be great! Your probably right but its worth a try!:wink:

Cheers!

Will

William
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Martin- great pics as usual.

Whatever happened to PWP8 and its magical hubcaps?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
kdf38
15 years ago
I'm frightened! You recognize a car from 1987 by its reg. nr? :shock:

well,, it is a little like the story of when I found my 1947 for the 2nd time; so maybe not
toooo scary...

Mike

55Kab wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell