Rach66
  • Rach66
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
My wing mirror has come off, and appears to have had it, mounted in the hinge and won't tighten.
UserPostedImage

I was thinking about swan neck mirrors. Are they hard to get hold of and ridiculously expensive? Also, how practical are they to actually see anything behind, all the way down there?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hi Rach!

As far as alberts go originals are ridiculously expensive! I mean RIDICULOUS!:wink:

You can get repros but they are also a lot for repro parts imho!:d Although they do look lovely!8)

I would try to stick with the stock if you are on a budget but if you have some money to play with you could have alberts! (tbh I prefer original VW ones!:roll: )

As far as the ones you have go, I do believe that the brass looking piece is what it tightens against?:?:

I always thought that the way to fix the problem you have was to take off the threaded section (where to arrow points to) and slip on the mirroe, possibly whilst compressing it with pliers! Then once it is on some how splay the brass bit apart so that it has something to tighten against!:?

I believe that to be correct but if I am wrong then please shoot me down!:lol: :beer:

Will

PS with alberts you will be able to see down the side that you are not sitting (lhs when rhd) whereas simply putting a stock threaded hinge pin on the LHS of the car, the mirror will be next to useless as there is a rather large pillar in the way!:wink:

William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
This bloke has put a LHD mirror on a RHD car! That will be next to useless so for visibility, Alberts are going to be the best!

UserPostedImage
William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Thanks for the reply!

I wondered if there was something worn out with regards to my mirror, as the mirror just sits in the hinge and the bolt has nothing to tighten into. I was told that the offside mirror was useless as a mirror because of the pillar, so maybe the alberts are the way to go, as I have very narrow gates onto my drive and seeing both sides would be a bonus...but the price...eekk! What are the proper mirrors for a '66, as mine had round non originals.

I do like to get original stuff put on, but, as you said, alberts are lovely, even if they are repros 🙂
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I would say that it is the pear shaped ones for a 66!

UserPostedImage

From memory and because on The Samba there is this 66 press photo!:wink:

UserPostedImage
William
Etzhold1
15 years ago
I would by Frese mirrors !
Correct shape and not that expencive ! about 60 euro for a NOS mirror !
I'll check if I have one here and post a picture !
I have 2 of them but both are right site no left ! Now I noticed I payed 75 euro :oops:

Guido  IMG_5917.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5916.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5918.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
Oh my word, those nos mirrors are a tad expensive aren't they!:shock:

I have found some repro's for £140, in the UK, so I don't know, though I do have Christmas money left...:d How do they fit on, I know it has something to do with the trim.

I had a feeling those pear shaped ones were the originals, but I think I would like to get them off the hinges, thanks for the tip for the nos ones :)

I don't know...oh the dilema!
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago
And thanks loads for all the help:d
Judson53
15 years ago
You can get them from karmann konnection,i brought a set a while ago,havent got round to fitting them yet,think you have to drill a hole just before were the trim ends,they do look good though :lol:
GKL 7
15 years ago
Not wishing to tout my trade:oops: but.....

I have a brand new pair of repro Albert Swannecks,never been near a car......£75 plus postage,a little shade over half price,i think.
crazydaze
15 years ago

I have a brand new pair of repro Albert Swannecks,never been near a car......£75 plus postage,a little shade over half price,i think.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Rach, thats a great deal right there ^ !

On a daily don't expect the chrome to last too well on the repro's, It's my understanding that Karmann Konnection DO warn customers about this. Mine are'nt too bad for a couple of years old but then it's a Sunday driver really :lol:

In use, Swan necks are ok, but I can never get them in a great position to see much out of. The drivers side is'nt too bad, passengers side is a looooooooong way away and low on the bonnet line, it's difficult too get a good useable view from.

The stock arm and pear mirror worked better for me as far as 'daily driver' vision is concerned. I run my Albert repro's more for what they look like rather than they being 'better' than the OG pear shaped one.

Alex.

Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Oooh, thanks:d

If I decide to have Alberts I defo have them, can I let you know on Sat? They'll be on my daily so I have to make sure I'll be ok with them, which being a woman takes a couple of days changing my mind before I go with the original thought I had at the begining:roll:
GKL 7
15 years ago

can I let you know on Sat?

Rach66 wrote:

Held for the Lady.
No panic.
LMK either way.
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

Held for the Lady.
No panic.
LMK either way.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Cheers me dears, much appreciated. Will do asap:d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Cheers me dears, much appreciated. Will do asap:d

Rach66 wrote:

Women making decisions, this could be a long one.......:wink:

Would be interested to see what they look like on a stock bug! Have only really seen them on some of the Restowagen crews cars and I have to say that they do look the Bogs Dollocks!:wink: :lol:

(ps theres nothing to say that you cant have both types! It has been done....:wink: )
William
dubrockers
15 years ago
you can get new NOS Albert swan Neck Mirrors £149 pair
but if it was me i would do away with mirrors altogther never use them  Ln32.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
15 years ago

dubrockers wrote:

NOS Most definately not.
Repro yes you can.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

but if it was me i would do away with mirrors altogther never use them

dubrockers wrote:

Where from? Because that is about the going rate for a repro set!:wink:
William
Rach66
  • Rach66
15 years ago

but if it was me i would do away with mirrors altogther never use them

dubrockers wrote:

It is quite liberating, in an odd way, not having mirrors, but getting out of the drive, and being on the motorway etc, I do need them.