Bjoern
  • Bjoern
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
A few weeks ago, a discussion started her about a "unknown" Dannenhauer & Stauss which was uppolstered next Etiennes Hebmüller. Today, the finished car was presented at the Techno Classica Exibition in Essen. It it the old car, which was completely destroyed by an accident four years ago. Now it is back to life and everybody can see it until next sunday at the world famous exibition.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
15 years ago
now that looks super nice and would be a nice addition to my garage! :lol:

Any photos of what it looked like before resto, after the fire?
overrestored
15 years ago
Fantastic!

when I first looked at the photo... the point where the front bumper meets the body looked almost like a chrome overrider bar above the bumper. If you imagine that reflection as an overrider bar that touches the back of the two bumperettes

... it is pretty cool!

Eric
protect me from what I want
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
Very nice! Good to see. The colors on this and the Ghia - unusual... Yet very nice. What's the view on these from a period correct point of view?
VW Stan
15 years ago
After the crash...  d&s.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  217637.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
55Kab
15 years ago

After the crash...

VW Stan wrote:

Oooo, nasty! How long ago was that?
GKL 7
15 years ago
DUH!!!!
Look at the date on the newspaper cutting:wink:
reminou75
15 years ago
just incredible... :shock:
55Kab
15 years ago

DUH!!!!Look at the date on the newspaper cutting:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hahahaha...yeah, I suppose that would help! :lol:
Dereck-J
15 years ago
Fantastic and a great colour choice too. Glad to see it back in one piece.
overrestored
15 years ago
interesting how now... 50+ years later... VW is putting these coachbuilts in the museum...
and the signage says... "Volkswagen Dannenhauer and Stauss"... or "Volkswagen Rometsch Beeskow".
Contrast this to back in the early 1950's... when Volkswagen was doing everything it could to STOP
the production of these cars... by working with the German Govt. to forbid the export of them... not supplying parts,
etc.

protect me from what I want
vintagebug
15 years ago
For those who can't read German (myself included), here's a translation of the newspaper article (thanks to my partner Jean for this! :d ). It looks like these two were very lucky to escape from the accident with their lives:-

Head of Wolfsburg Museum seriously injured at rally

Collision with a valuable VW vintage cabrio

Horst Beilharz (62), head of the Wolfsburg VW museum, has sustained a serious injury at a vintage rally in the Austrian town of Voralberg.

WOLFSBURG. “I must have had a guardian angel watching over me”, said a heavily-bandaged Horst Beilharz, speaking from his hospital bed in the town of Feldkirch. Despite a broken left hip, a shattered kneecap, deep stitches in his face and two missing teeth, Beilharz remains optimistic: “I think I’ll be fit to go back to Wolfsburg in around ten days in a wheelchair”. With a new hip…

Together with his co-driver, Lufthansa boss Uwe Mueller (46), Beilharz was taking part in the Silvretta Classic rally. He was driving a 1951 Dannenhauer & Stauss cabriolet, borrowed for the occasion from the Wolfsburg museum.

The accident occurred in the village of Schnepfau, when the driver of a Ford Transit failed to give way to the rally duo and Beilharz, at the wheel of the rare vintage vehicle, collided head on with the delivery van. The Transit driver escaped unhurt but Beilharz and Mueller were rushed to hospital by helicopter. The co-driver came off even worse. Beilharz explains, "He will suffer from the broken bones he sustained for some time to come".

The D & S was a complete write-off. The museum head stated: “We aim to restore this rare vehicle, one of just twelve examples of its kind”. But not for a rally…

The photo captions read:-

Complete write-off: The Dannenhauer & Stauss after the accident in Voralberg.

and

Before: the cabrio in the museum.

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

For those who can't read German

vintagebug wrote:

Interesting read - would have taken me hours to get it all typed into Google Translate, thanks (and especially Jean too) for taking the time and trouble!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
vintagebug
15 years ago

Interesting read - would have taken me hours to get it all typed into Google Translate

I wonder how Google or any of the online translators would've translated it- sometimes they can be quite amusing to read! :lol:

thanks (and especially Jean too)

Don't thank me, Jean did all the work, I just cut & pasted it! :lol: She's says she's glad to be of assistance. Rob, the invoice is on it's way!! :twisted:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"