sisiundlin
14 years ago
Dear all,
new in this forum I would like to post some informations and question. Some time ago I bought a one of coachbuild presumably build by a single person factory called Baruth around 1940-1950. It is a KDF 82e (sorry, I just learned, it is an Type 51) body originally sitting on a Type 82 floor panel, however the original floor is lost and only the body is left. Only the front of the car is from a Type 51, the Rest (from the A pillar on) is from a prewar Adler Trumpf. The interior frame is from a Kuebel type 82. Interesting, the front opening hood is definitely a VW hood, but has some peculiar design and construction resembling more the NSU-prototype than the VW. Front wings are original KDFs, bur are widened to make the body harmonic in design. Since the Adler was a frontdrive car, the body was changed to a rear drive-type by a special hood. Additional side ventilation was constructed to keep the engine cool. Everything was noted as a special coachbuild in the official registration document.
I have now more than one question, but i start with some. Has anybody ever read something about this car. The owner mentioned it was shown in abook and also featured on TV. It is a rare example of a special coachbuild after war, whencars were mounted to make them just drive. However, this is professionally done, and more than just a backyard welded driving machine. I have now the decision about giving it away, because it is too much work for me, or to restore it. The main question with this is, if I can replace the Kuebel floor by a normal beetle floor from an split window or Ovali. Nobody yet could answer the question if the Kuebel floor is somehow longer or wider or smaller than the normal beetle floor. I can not afford an original Kuebel floor, but could buy a split-window floor or something like that. Would that fit? I would like to have a go on this marvellous example, but time is limited, so if there is anybody interested in an exchange against a restorable split window or Ovali, I would also like to give it to somebody who would restore it and not just cut the original kuebel and KDF parts out and throw everything away.

I attach some pictures
Thanks for all comments,

Sisiundlin  Coachbuild_2.pdf You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Don´t know anything about it, but its an interesting car alright. AFAIK, the shape of the Kübel floorpan is the same as an Oval - in the sense that it will fit under the body.

Good luck with it.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
sisiundlin
14 years ago
Dear JD,

thanks a lot,

as far as I learned today it is not at VW 82E but a VW type 51, build between 1945 and 1946, the KDF on the Kuebel Typ 82 floor. We will see and once it is ready, I could offer a joint trip in your town as a reward for the first answer...(if I have not given up...)

Sisiundlin
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Where are you in Germany actually?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
sisiundlin
14 years ago
Dear JD

I´m at Giessen (between Marburg and Frankfurt)
Yours Sisiundlin
kdf38
14 years ago

That's really unusual. It seems to be mostly Adler remaining now. What happened to the 82e chassis
engine and transaxle? I have heard of lots of VW82 on regular beetle chassis, so I *think* oval should work.

The front hood looks longer than normal to me?

Mike

Don´t know anything about it, but its an interesting car alright. AFAIK, the shape of the Kübel floorpan is the same as an Oval - in the sense that it will fit under the body.

Good luck with it.

JD wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
sisiundlin
14 years ago

That's really unusual. It seems to be mostly Adler remaining now. What happened to the 82e chassis
engine and transaxle? I have heard of lots of VW82 on regular beetle chassis, so I *think* oval should work.

The front hood looks longer than normal to me?

Mike

kdf38 wrote:

Dear Mike,

thank you very much. Yes, at first glance it gives the impression of the Adler. However, when you see it, and see the parts, especially when you see the front (which is not longer), you have this impression of seeing a beetle with something added to it. What happened to the chassis is unknwon, I bought it the way it is, everything else was sold ages before, I still can´t believe, that the owner did it. Even in its present condition the kuebel fraction wanted to buy it to cut out the inner frame, but luckily the owner refused and I offered the highest amount, not because I´m particular keen on restoring it , but it is maybe one of the last examples of how coachbuilders survived after the war and I mainly wanted to safe it. I would really love to see it on the street again or in a collection, eventually in the condition it is now.
Thanks for the hint with ovali, unfortunately Texas is to far away for a joint trip in the restored Baruth.
Yours,
Sisiundlin