55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Right then.....a couple of questions for all you early Cabrio experts.

I believe the under bonnet area of my car (May 1955) was pretty original before it was stripped and as you can see from the photo below, the glove box, fuel tank and bulkhead access panels are all body colour (Iris Blue).

UserPostedImage

I'm pretty sure it is correct for an Oval era Cabrio to have a colour matched glovebox and fuel tank. My questions are should the neck of the fuel tank be black or body colour and should the bulkhead access panels be black or again as in the photo, body colour :?:

Can anyone show me a photo of this area from an unrestored car :?:

Yr help much appreciated. :beer:

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago

the glove box, fuel tank and bulkhead access panels are all body colour (Iris Blue).

55Kab wrote:

Correct i think.
My old vert was in factory paint,when i got it.
Back of glove boxes, petrol tank and even the petrol tank cap was body colour.

Inside, the steering column,hand brake lever and gear shift lever were also body colour,but i think this would be wrong on a slightly later car.
The seat adjustment levers were chrome plated unlike those on a saloon.
Bengt H
14 years ago
I think your trunk looks correct in every point, also the paper should bee painted body colour.
Bengt H
14 years ago

Inside, the steering column,hand brake lever and gear shift lever were also body colour,but i think this would be wrong on a slightly later car.
The seat adjustment levers were chrome plated unlike those on a saloon.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I think the above is for early splitcabrios, not oval :wink:

Seat adjustment levers are chromed on many -50 saloons, but not on later splits, dont know when it was changed.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Tks guys, I thought so. Any idea why Karmann's had all this body colour?

Bengt, can I assume the tank is correct, Iris with a black filler?

Bengt H
14 years ago

Bengt, can I assume the tank is correct, Iris with a black filler?

55Kab wrote:

Dont know why they painted all that in bodycolour, maybee just to set them appartfrom the usual ones... :roll:

Have not thought about the black filler neck before, if its not iris under the black then it must be original :shock: ...maybe they puted a cover over the neck when painting so that is why its black??
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

55Kab wrote:

Because they were slack bastards at Karmann? Probably it was just much easier to just spray bomb the entire luggage compartment than it is to remove bits and paint them a different colour for no good reason.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

Because they were slack bastards at Karmann? Probably it was just much easier to just spray bomb the entire luggage compartment than it is to remove bits and paint them a different colour for no good reason.

JD wrote:

Well never liked to put it into words but think you've hit the nail on the head there.
vintagevw
14 years ago
All correct!
I had also a 55 Irisblue vert some years ago...
Also the front trunk cardboard should be painted and even the bumpermountings inside and the parts who hold the feultank in place.
I bought a perfect repro cardboard from Wolfgang gips, he will be at HO but it is best you order one before....:wink:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!