vwhelmot
14 years ago
Hi
My 56 judson oval is a joy to drive as it is, but should i refit the stock suspension. I have been thinking about it for a while. What do you think?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum, if you're serious about raising it back up then you've come to the right place 😎 :lol:

Lowered Beetles are a pain to live with, they scrape when you hit pot holes sometimes giving you and your passengers a real jolt. Then there are mult-story car parks, speed bumps etc. This is from experience 😳 Your VW will be so much easier to live with if you raise it back to stock.

Do it, do it now :beer:

Very cool car by the way :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Hawker
14 years ago
VW built the Beetle in Europe for the best part of 40 years. If they were better lowered, then VW would have done it. Lowered Beetles are horrendous to drive. Put it back to standard and enjoy a real Beetle.
55Kab
14 years ago

should i refit the stock suspension. I have been thinking about it for a while. What do you think?

vwhelmot wrote:

Joining this forum and asking that is a silly question... :wink:

As Rob says, cool car, and if you've been thinking about it for a while then I think you know you want to! To the garage then... :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

VW built the Beetle in Europe for the best part of 40 years. If they were better lowered, then VW would have done it

Hawker wrote:

While that is true, like it or not, the State of California has also been refining them for the best part of 40 years...!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Lowered beetles
This is from experience

pre67vw wrote:

Yes i'd noticed.
Still not beyond a little modification these days either:wink:
pre67vw
14 years ago

Yes i'd noticed.
Still not beyond a little modification these days either:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I still find it odd when people make comments like this about me, I'm still a hot-rodder at heart. 😎 I guess the forum has grown into something much stricter than I am...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
Pulling 'yer leg Rob.

WELDED ON roof rack:wink: Still makes me laugh months later.

pre67vw
14 years ago
I thought you were referring to my cabrio.. 12V, dual circuit brakes, wrong wheel colours, incorrect licence light - the list goes on and on 😛
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

I thought you were referring to my cabrio.. 12V, dual circuit brakes, wrong wheel colours, incorrect licence light - the list goes on and on 😛

pre67vw wrote:

NO.:roll:
I ignore that, it was built after 1953:lol: :lol: :lol:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

dual circuit brakes

pre67vw wrote:

That is one mod that does make sense! Unless your underneath looking at the master cylinder it will look stock! 😎

The brake fluid reservoir will be mainly for show but hey ho'! :lol:
William
55Kab
14 years ago

I'm still a hot-rodder at heart. 😎

pre67vw wrote:

And good to hear it! :wink: :beer:

Everyone's got a modified bone in their body, even George :lol: and dare I say it...Anna too...Shhhhhhhhhh :lol: :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

The brake fluid reservoir will be mainly for show

54 Gertie wrote:

Now that idea sounds familiar :lol:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

and dare I say it...Anna too...Shhhhhhhhhh :lol: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

Runs for cover..........[-x :lol:
William
pre67vw
14 years ago

That is one mod that does make sense! Unless your underneath looking at the master cylinder it will look stock! 😎

The brake fluid reservoir will be mainly for show but hey ho'! :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

I actually got a '67 only reservoir that sits in the front where the old one was 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

Everyone's got a modified bone in their body, even George.

55Kab wrote:

Yeah!but when i vent it, Rob bans me.
You just can't win.

WATCH THIS and see:lol:  566861.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Yeah!but when i vent it, Rob bans me.
You just can't win.

WATCH THIS and see:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Can we have a sort of "confessional" section where we can post cars that we like but really shouldnt? :wink:
William
55Kab
14 years ago

Can we have a sort of "confessional" section where we can post cars that we like but really shouldnt? :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

I think that's a cool idea Will. Whadya think Rob?

Although many don't like the lowered, negative cambered and narrowed beam cars, one thing you have to commend is the fastigious approach the real pros take to getting period details correct. 20 years ago you still got the lowered and negative camber etc but all the period stuff was ripped off and thrown over the nearest hedge! :lol: That said I still love that b289 period as it played a huge, huge part in how the quality of ALL cars are turned out today.

64rotbox
14 years ago
Get it up, L... That front beam would be much more useful on my '64, anyway.
You can call me Al.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Hmm. Doesn't look like you have that much negative chamber on the rear. I think it looks like the engine and transmission is raised too in that case?
The HebsterWerks.