phil leadley
14 years ago
The last time I saw the Weibel roadster, was at the Pebble Beach Concours (early ninties). I remember being insanely jealous at the time, that car being
there and not mine. Of course our car never scored higher than 90 pts. and was'nt restored by the famous Hill & Vaughn. But at least a coachbuilt VW
got to "Pebble Beach".

The car was well known in the LA Porsche scene, as someone claimed it had a Porsche heritage. I shared the opinion with others at the time that the car was an interesting "Special", with unique features. Not the least being its looks, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

An update would be appreciated,
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
overrestored
14 years ago
It is here... complete with very "creative" description.

https://autocollections.com/index.cfm?key=1516&action=details&tab=inventory&cartable= 

It has been for sale for some time. It pops up on 356talk every now and then... with some newby thinking it is an unknown secret he has "discovered"... only to have all the old boys rip him a new one!

It is just another VW special... no Porsche history I know of...

They are asking 250,000 us$ according to somebody... a while back... that inquired. It has been for sale for several years at this price.

https://autocollections.com/index.cfm?key=1516&action=details&tab=inventory&cartable= 
protect me from what I want
phil leadley
14 years ago
Thanks again Eric, I went to the site/link----ROFLMAO--"dang it" i wet my knickers, laughing so hard.
When I first saw that car it was scary!. Some one had tried to alter the roll center by raising the transaxle in the chassis so high, that the shift tube was on top of the tunnel! They had to saw 25 mm off the top of the fan housing and the decklid still would'nt close.

The stories I heard, described the car as a motor eater, I wonder why??

My mum always said "if you can't say anything nice about some one, don't say anything at all" Ok fine! I hope they get their asking price.
It certainly looks better without the dune buggy motor they showed up at Pebble Beach with!. But Specials are still Specials- they all look like potato's
beaten out of old Stuka panels. Even Porsche #1 is kinda homely (forgive me Father for I have sinned) as well as most post-war race cars, based on over-
stressed Topolino's or sacrificial Norton's.

Anyone else care to opine?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
"Homely" looking creation to be sure. Those cut away rear skirts do it no favours in terms of style either.
Looks like the offspring of a Low light Morris Minor and a Speedster.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

250,000 us$

overrestored wrote:

:shock: And i wonder why it hasn't sold in seven years.That price is un-realistic.:roll:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

:shock: And i wonder why it hasn't sold in seven years.That price is un-realistic.:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Possibly even more so than the description.:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago
I remember the car in some of Bob Shaills old publications, it stood around for years waiting to be restored.
It was back in the days when cars like this cost a lot less than 5% of todays asking price.
Prices have certainly risen and it makes you wonder where they will stop(if they do).
overrestored
14 years ago

I remember the car in some of Bob Shaills old publications, it stood around for years waiting to be restored.
It was back in the days when cars like this cost a lot less than 5% of todays asking price.
Prices have certainly risen and it makes you wonder where they will stop(if they do).

'50 Karmann wrote:

I don't think that price is anywhere near realistic for that car. It should be less than half... maybe 1/3 of that price... in my subjective opinion.

When you look at asking prices it appears that the prices have risen... but when you review the actual selling prices of coachbuilts over the past 20 years... do you think that they have climbed any faster than other antique VW's? I think all old VW's are getting rather expensive.
phil leadley
14 years ago
Great post Eric, I hate to talk $$ involving a hobby. But the fact remains if a vehicle has a low perceived value, than only someone who loves the car will
spend time and money on it. He or she would be speculating as to ever recouping their investment. On the other hand the opposite should apply.
Personally i'm thrilled that coachbuilt VW's have become expensive, 30 yrs. ago these cars were backyard derelict's, worth a fraction of what it cost to restore them. If they are now out of reach of the average VW nut, I'm sorry, you don't get champagne on a beer budget. For decades these cars sat rotting in the hands of the under/capitalized, thank God a few have survived.

In case anyone is unaware, it cost just as much to restore a car like Rometsch as it doe's to restore a more exotic Maserati. Powertrain not withstanding.
If older VW's have become more expensive, its a good thing- their perceived value has gone up like everything else. If they were cheap, I still be hacking
one up to suit my pleasure. I bought a 55 oval for $50, and made it into a baja bug,( "guilty as charged"). We used to dispose of 36hp motors in a local
landfill, when you could still do that, ( I'll burn in Hell for that").

I think the true value of a vintage VW, is the pleasure it bring you. Something money alone can't buy, stores don't sell what you can get, when you share
your car with others.

I used to tell people, if my Rometsch burned to the ground. I would have already gotten far more out it than it cost to build. When we did finally exchange
the car for $$, the price really didn't matter that much. We had sold not a vehicle for transportation, we sold a vehicle to satisfaction.

GKL 7
14 years ago
I can't understand this Eric. Why advertise a car for 3 times more than you would settle for?
OK you may hit lucky.
But how many genuine buyers may you put off because they just can not be bothered with the hassle of negotiation.
I have seen cars advertised for such sums and have thought "I'm not even going there". Later to be disappointed, finding out the car sold for a price i would have been happy to pay.
overrestored
14 years ago

I can't understand this Eric. Why advertise a car for 3 times more than you would settle for?
OK you may hit lucky.
But how many genuine buyers may you put off because they just can not be bothered with the hassle of negotiation.
I have seen cars advertised for such sums and have thought "I'm not even going there". Later to be disappointed, finding out the car sold for a price i would have been happy to pay.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I don't understand it either. Except in this case... the seller is a HUGE private museum. I think that the car was shipped to China for a while... and was in an exhibit in the Chinese national museum... so maybe the owners thought that somebody would buy the car that doesn't really know the history... I don't know?

I agree it is really strange. Maybe they really don't want to sell it.. maybe it is just a high price in case some rich person "just has to have it"