mrsherbie
14 years ago
I simply cannot believe these cars entered in the show'n'shine at Bogjam. I am amazed :shock: ( No of course I didnt go, dont be silly! just saw the pic elsewhere :lol: )

UserPostedImage

I mean, I know Skanka Pod is a dive and attracts the entire vw chavalier population, but in the late 80's the show'n'shine at Bugjam was something to inspire and admire, not just for everyone to enter their daily drivers in. Back then we all respected thats how it was, you had to work for your right to a show'n'shine position. Seeing Andy Parrots blue car there back then started me off down this long road.

I know its part of changing times in general, not just the vw scene but it seems like these days kids want everything NOW, be it fame, notoriety, admiration, etc.

I am utterly amazed that people who go are thick enough to wonder why all the nice cars stay away with Skanka's track record of damage to cars and thefts at every show held there :shock:

But its just a very funny, in fact just plain ridiculous pic :lol: Could almost be seen as a very clever & ironic, but somehow I dont think that was the intention.

Anyway, good for a laugh :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Ooh ooh I have just realised we have a show winner right here! Right I am off to book the front door podium at Volksworld 2010! I feel one of those big skittle things coming my way! :lol:

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago
Those mile high roof racks crack me up,add a narrowed beam to this and it's just an almighty piss take.
They seem content on making a Volkswagen look as rediculous as possible.  soapbox2.gif You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
You know I went to Hessisch not with a little trepidation. The 2005 Show was just a little too good and word got around that it was THE Show to go to.

That wasn't bad, a lot of owners of vintage stuff had missed it and the 2009 show was going to be the one where they caught up. The trouble was after the Camberg debacle (ok maybe not debacle) the great unwashed who frequent other forums also caught on that it would be a great show to crash.

Well as we know they talked about it a lot but the invasion didn't happen and despite the occasional lowered VW, the overall vintage flavour was left intact. The reason for this is that a lot of VW fans aren't committed enough to make the 1000+ mile round trip just to look at a bunch of boring vintage stuff, with hardly a slammed or narrowed beam in sight.

So looking at a line-up of skanky, overloaded, slammed, narrowed, enhanced patina'd 70s rust buckets fills my heart with joy. As long as people who drive these cars have an outlet in this country to show off these cars, I'm happy.

I'm not being elitist, I think people who can't afford to drive a nicer aircooled VW at the moment might well one day have more money to put into their hobby. When that day comes maybe they'll be old enough to see the merits of the vintage scene and they might like to, just for a change, go stock.

The vintage side of the hobby will survive and in all likelihood the serious enthusiast will come from amongst these kids who, at the moment only have a 70s heap to show.:wink: Every perceived negative in this hobby has a positive side.

UserPostedImage

Thanks for the loan of your box George.

John.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I agree entirely. With the high insurance costs of driving a old 70's beetle as your first car these days its great to see the vw scene in general is alive and healthy and I admire kids doing it ( even though I think anything older than an 02 is dangerous for young uns on our roads nowadays)
I am also very glad there are shows where they can cut loose and enjoy as we did in exactly the same way 20yrs ago, and others for us to enjoy where getting drunk is NOT the main theme.

But all I do know is back then I certainly didnt expect to be able to enter a show'n'shine with my first car! we all appreciated that the cars we saw at shows and in magazines took time and dedication, and that or discovering a low mile stocker by chance or luck or paying a lot £ was the only way to get there. It was a process that all took time, like finding parts.
With the internet has come a new generation of impatient, naive, paypal brain washed, people who want it all now yesterday.

For all the undeniable benefits of the net ( example. we havent even traded at a show this year) I wish we could stop it and get off and go back to how it used to be when our kids brains were'nt being fried by our own government foisting free wifi on our schools backed by big industry £ but zero health implication research. It took 50yrs for them to finally admit smoking is dangerous and take the kids fags away, only to hand out new ones, free laptop shaped :evil:

H.O. 05 was the best show I have ever been to anywhere in the world in 20yrs of going to shows pretty consistantly during that time, and I didnt want that great memory ruined in any way either. I think its title could always stand as that for me :d

Anyway, I think my soapbox is now blacker than yours :lol:

Wait for it 55kab will be here soon wearing his peach suede desert boots and neon surfshorts :lol: :beer:

mrsherbie
14 years ago
Anyway, I think the blue car should have scored the extra points as his pile is clearly taller and also more varied, fishing net is the clincher :wink: :beer:

vintagevw
14 years ago
I've visited Drugjam too in the ninetees and they looked very weird when i came in with my stock oval.
I'm not cool enough I guess..... :lol:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
GKL 7
14 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How sad are we.
Aload of old farts having a whinge.
They should make a tv show about it....they could call it "Grumpy old men/women"
54 Gertie
14 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How sad are we.
Aload of old farts having a whinge.
They should make a tv show about it....they could call it "Grumpy old men/women"

'50 Karmann wrote:

Im the same and im not old! :twisted: But far from cool! :lol:

I do however totally agree, at all UK shows the "ratlook bus brigade" always turn up in force. 😶 Was the same at H.O. all Belgium / German registered buses were either immaculate or tatty but original and nice, all UK ones were on duff wheels and their suspension had some sort of malfunction? :shock:

I really dont get "rat look", mine could so easily be rat look but I am taking the time to do the work on it properly and I am going to repaint all areas and make it look presentable!

However, maybe I should leave my repairs in bare metal and lacquer it so it rusts?! :idea: :shock: :roll:

William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Ratlook, init! 😎

Maybe I need a roofrack filled with tat before I enter it into any concourse however? :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
VW Stan
14 years ago
Damn, have I missed Bug Jam?
Just finished slamming the oval...

:shock:

1586615.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1586614.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
GKL 7
14 years ago
If that's not photoshop,you're in for some stick on here Judas.
55Kab
14 years ago

Wait for it 55kab will be here soon wearing his peach suede desert boots and neon surfshorts :lol: :beer:

mrsherbie wrote:

I'm here and lets not forget you once owned and wore a pair of neon surfshorts! :lol: :beer:

Mainly directed at Bog Jam (I laughed at that Anna :lol: ) I'm just going to cut and paste an extract from a thread on RW. Think you'll understand my feelings on the subject! :wink:

"Nah, keep ranting Rich it does us oldies good! are you reading my mind? I'm sure we're getting a slating right now for our views. No problem we can represent the old farts-look club!!!

The money element doesn't really bother me too much. To be honest if I take the car to a show in the UK it will be Stonor or such where the so called "chav" or "pikey" element of the UK VW scene are low in numbers. Call me mr straight, mr boring even mr snob but for me the shows where the chav and pikey elements are high I think to an extent reflect society in general and the lack of respect people have for themselves. I wonder why this seems connected with air cooled VW's in particular?

I was reading some UK Porsche forums last night and it was refreshing how people were writing their posts in well known and understood English language and without the use of trendy slang words. I guess you would have to say it reflects the type of people posting.

Here's another top quote from Vzi which capture shows of the Bug Jam ilk nicely:

"I miss the whole evening around the BBQ and the whole idea that the shows are about the cars and not getting pissed up and mashed out your head in fancy dress"

I even had a shock last year when I went to VW Action and that's supposedly better than Bug Jam for the "chav" and "pikey" element. Whoever thought that needs their eyes testing!

I felt out of place. Mainly because I wasn't walking around with dyed hair, 20 piecings up my ear, a beer can in hand, wearing clothes that looked like they'd been stolen from a rancid squat. There I was thinking Paul Harris/Stoneleigh but at Santa Pod, boy how wrong I was!!!"

Chris
14 years ago

I simply cannot believe these cars entered in the show'n'shine at Bogjam. I am amazed :shock: ( No of course I didnt go, dont be silly! just saw the pic elsewhere :lol: )

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

That picture reminds me of CrackerJack where the winner of the competition was the person who could hold the most toys (and a cabbage) without dropping them. :wink:

Now don't pretend you don't remember CrackerJack 😳
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
64rotbox
14 years ago
That blue one didn't look too bad when the current owner bought it, unfortunately he's spent the last few weeks subjecting it to every ratlook cliché in the book. I remember when 'customising' meant using your own imagination, not someone else's lack of.

However, I say give them their own class within shows so they can all park up together and admire each other's 'handiwork'. It makes them easier to avoid when looking for the nice stuff.

I keep praying for a VOSA checkpoint to be set up outside Santa Pod come Bug Jam - it'd be like Christmas for them. There actually was one in the mid 1990s, and a member of our entourage got pulled. His car was a road scraping disaster, and they threw the book at him (rightly so), impounding the car. More of this sort of thing, please.
You can call me Al.
kdf38
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

Can I enter my truck :evil:

That picture reminds me of CrackerJack where the winner of the competition was the person who could hold the most toys (and a cabbage) without dropping them. :wink:

Now don't pretend you don't remember CrackerJack 😳

Chris wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
mrsherbie
14 years ago

Call me mr straight, mr boring even mr snob but for me the shows where the chav and pikey elements are high I think to an extent reflect society in general and the lack of respect people have for themselves. I wonder why this seems connected with air cooled VW's in particular?

I was reading some UK Porsche forums last night and it was refreshing how people were writing their posts in well known and understood English language and without the use of trendy slang words. I guess you would have to say it reflects the type of people posting.

I felt out of place. Mainly because I wasn't walking around with dyed hair, 20 piecings up my ear, a beer can in hand, wearing clothes that looked like they'd been stolen from a rancid squat. There I was thinking Paul Harris/Stoneleigh but at Santa Pod, boy how wrong I was!!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

You are right kabbybloke! That whole reply is superb and 100% spot on! I agree especially the 3 parts above. Its the fact the vw's seems to be attracting the low end of the classic car scene that I find worrying, eventually this will drag the uk vw scene down, and we will get a generalised bad reputation which has already happened in the eyes of many European VW people.

Its not just Porsche forums but the Samba is MASSIVE and subject to a much wider population input, but yet I dont see it happening there to a comparable degree? It seems to be a 'UK thing' Our society overall is sliding downhill and its just sad.

KDF38, you see you have a valid ratlooker(winner) there, so that does'nt count :lol:

But Malcolm's oval is just a good original paint car, like mine. Then there are varying levels of original paint deterioration which is where is starts to get difficult to describe. We have an oval identical colour as Malcs, but 'worse' but its like eye candy, I cant stop looking at it and how the paint is worn is more Art less car. Trouble is these cars need weather protection or they deteriorate fast into another rusty old beetle! When I eventually take mine out I will be picking the weather to keep it as bone dry (and its heavily waxed, waxoyled, dealer undersealed stilll and I am not removing it just for 'show sake' , I just want it protected to the max)

[quote=Chris]
😳

Chris wrote:

Yes you're right! I had forgotten about that! :lol: :lol:

lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Oh Missy, Missy, Missy, every generation has plucked habits of a younger generation as a signpost to the moral degradation of society. Every generation thinks we are especially blessed or cursed with the liberal views of a new generation.

The British don’t execute offenders, stone adulterers, mutilate thieves, burn witches. I still see that as a positive sign that we have got a few things right and I don't see the younger generation making moves to change that.

Some people may get pissed every night, go out with the express purpose of getting laid…but if I remember rightly so did I when I was 19. Only difference then was it was called having a good time in “The Summer of Love” and also if I remember rightly, my parent’s generation thought it a signpost to the end of civilised society, as they knew it.

As for the type of person who likes to drive VWs in the U.K. today, aren’t they the very people who the car was originally intended? They certainly didn’t intend it for the middle classes with a healthy disposable income.

Anna I still love you but just let me help you down off your high horse, you make too obvious a target up there.:wink:

John.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
You know that I dont mind or care about being a target Fire away :lol:

I agree with all you say in general above.

But I will point out that I am almost certain that you have never been to a Bug Jam or similar event, either now or in the 80's 90's, in fact have you ever even been to Skanky Pod? :wink: 😳 :lol:
Vanfest is close but does'nt count 😳 :lol:
As such I think after 20yrs of shows I am fully entitled to have a view about the degradation of some uk shows I have been to many times in the past myself.
64rotbox
14 years ago
NB. When I went to shows like Bug Jam (many years ago), there were always scruffy lowered Beetles around. I had a couple. Then someone started the 'rust and prime' thing around 1991. We saw it as a bit of a laugh. I won a prize at a show once with a mega-scruffy car, but I didn't 'enter' the car in question into anything, it just happened. I certainly didn't go out of my way to make the car look like crap, it just did.
You can call me Al.