Indian Red Interior
American Bumpers

so it started like this

UserPostedImage
And finally with all my own blood sweat and tears im at this stage now

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Got to now colour sand spray on more coats and more colour sand and polish with G3 and the rest.

The paint is Alkyd Urathene modified enamel 40 quid for 5 litres
All i can say is im well chuffed my car was in the volksworld show as its all my own work alongside the best cars 🙂 :)

Plus the paint which is alkyd enamel and sprayed by me in a dusty garage with a converted hover motor held its own and cost 45 pounds topcoat :)

To everyone, if I can do it, so can you!

Thank you Volksworld, you made my year

going into the show
UserPostedImage

car gets moved into position on skate boards cool!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

in position next to its new oval buddy
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
I saw your thread about this on VZi, nice job!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Hello Matt

I also followed your thread on the other side, inspirational stuff. That paint work is a thing of beauty and to think it only cost you £40 for the paint! 😎

Hows the exhaust business going?

Welcome. :d :wink:
William
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Good work! Lovely car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
14 years ago
I had a good look around your car at the Volksworld show.
You must be very proud and very happy with what you've achieved with your '67!

Well done 😎 :d
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Dubster
14 years ago
Top job dude, I also followed your thread on VZi.

I seem to have a '67 addiction 🙂
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
54 Gertie
14 years ago
It seems that your dads old 67' was still on the road in 1996. I suppose it may still be lurking in a garage somewhere awaiting some TLC, next project? :wink:
he vehicle details for OPL 505E are:

Date of Liability 01 07 1996
Date of First Registration 23 05 1967
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1500CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval null

Also, its down as being green? :shock:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
Two interesting points......Rob on vzi[-x and we have had our first use of the expression Dude:roll:
pre67vw
14 years ago

Two interesting points......Rob on vzi[-x and we have had our first use of the expression Dude:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

every now and again I need to remind myself why this forum is here :wink:

Chill dude.. :twisted:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
VW Stan
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Not by a long shot George...

Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 5:24:53 AM

woha seems like this is a problem with you guys. its easy dude just check the major parts Keystart make sure power is going to your coil.... some time your coil wire under your hood to the fuze box can come undone it should be on the farthest left if its a nonright hand drive. if it is that could be your problem. "haha" never even seen a right hand bug. anyway just check to make sure your points are open and closeing. to set your points in a pinch use one side of a matchbook to gap it. and check your condensor. coils dont good bad that often. they can be weak but get the bosch blue coil. don't listen to that crap about other ones these work. make sure power is getting to the coil when the key is on. and make sure its all good with the ground too. its easy let me know and I can walk you throu the wire schematic. only need 3 wires to run a VW good luck.

:wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago
Blimey Malc,can you also remember the greater London phone book backwards.
VW Stan
14 years ago

Blimey Malc,can you also remember the greater London phone book backwards.

'50 Karmann wrote:

No, but I can type 'dude' into the search field with no problems. :wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago
opl505e
13 years ago
My Dads Black 67 outside my grandparents in 1967 and my Black 67 in the same place in 2009 42 years later. The only thing that looks exactly the same is the kerbstones.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Robb
13 years ago
nice car, only 2 things that ruin it for me though- the removable rear valance on dzus fastners (whats this all about?), and the fact you didnt use floorpans with the correct pressings.

the old and new pic is awesome 😎
opl505e
13 years ago
I agree Rob about the valance, what was that about, im not sure but I redid the valance without fasteners, the valance is removes via the rear wings so it all looks stock.

When I got to the floorpans in 2005 I ordered VW Heritages only available pan halfs, I was hoping that they would not be as hideously thin as they actually were, I was doing the whole car on a budget and the only available proper thickness pan halfs were from cip in america.

The reason for building my car were maybe slightly different to most, my father bought a 67 black red interior just like mine, it was the car that I was bought home from the hospital in as a baby. For me I wanted to reproduce a cars essence that is a 67 black with red interior and US spec bumpers that, as per my fathers was used as a daily driver. As it stood in 2005 you could not get quality pan halfs so as I was an engineer I thought I would use the best materials available to me.

I purchased 16gauge Zintec Sheet and 30x30x1.5 Box section

UserPostedImage

The picture shows the underside which followed the profile of the original but instead of a U channel around the edge I used the box section which was drilled for body to pan CAP HEADS not bolts.After the pan halfs were finished I welded in the original seat runners and cable tubes for the rear seat heat. Once done you can jump up and down on it and it felt like a concrete floor, incredibly strong compared to the repro ones of the time

The whole pan was then seam sealed and painted in POR 15 (Though if done again I would go to Epoxy121) Following this the pan was painted in Toughflex a xylene based chassis and body Schultz paint.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I started to love 16 Gauge and so used it to fabricate the following parts from scratch

Inner rear wing 67 only suspension support
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rear Valance 16 gauge
UserPostedImage

Left and right door pillar outers
UserPostedImage

Lower heater channel closing panel.
UserPostedImage

With the closing panel and the floor pan halfs if I get a serious case of origionalititiz I can buy correct gauge pans and hookeys closing plate and bar the rear valance issue its pretty much as VW built it, even when in bare metal it looks pretty stock and unmessed with to the casual browser.

UserPostedImage

then after prep after prep in paint sprayed by myself in the garage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I agreed with the fasteners and so did the valance again, at the same time I had a spare 67 only deck lid, after reading an article by Gene Berg in which he said the best addition to a stock 67 is a cabrio 67 decklid, so I made this grafting in the same vents used. The engine is a 1600 Single port as in terms of available supplies this made more sense than 1500.

The car has come from a roof shell back from the dead to be the essence of my dads car, I have rustproofed and built the car for one purpose, to be driven on a daily basis rain snow sun and go on for many years to come. Hope you like it
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

opl505e
13 years ago
Things Im not happy with on my car.

1. Cheap US Spec bumpers would love some reasonable originals
2. Rear valance not how I want it, would rebuild one with a good top
3. Wipers are a bit useless
4. Would love new windscreen ideally heated
5. Need set of 67 only door buttons
6. Need new passenger side door handle as mine has cracked where it latches into the door.
7. Stainless or powder coated bumper irons and overrider tubes
8. 1600 sp back in and looking like a 1500sp, currently a lovely substitute 1200
9. Vintage indicator housings
10. One bumper mount panel moving 10mm
11. Rear seat heat flaps connected
12. Passenger sunvisor fixed as it has seized
beefykeefy
13 years ago

Great work, and more importantly, another 67 saved.

Mine isn't a 'true' factory stocker either and was also done on a budget, but it's another one almost right. Better that than not 😎 .
kdf38
13 years ago
How did you graft that mirror into the passenger door skin? 😎

My Black 67 project to recreate the car my father bought new in 1967

Black 67 1500
Indian Red Interior
American Bumpers

UserPostedImage

Got to now colour sand spray on more coats and more colour sand and polish with G3 and the rest.

The paint is Alkyd Urathene modified enamel 40 quid for 5 litres
All i can say is im well chuffed my car was in the volksworld show as its all my own work alongside the best cars 🙂 :)

opl505e wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell