53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi thought i'd introduce myself and my 53 :d

Picked this up last week, been stored in a barn for the last 9 years before being imported from Germany, before that it had stood since the early 90's in an underground garage. Came with original log book and was delivered on 28th September 1953.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Just a few of the old stickers
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Some sort of commemorative badge (crappy pic sorry)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ragtop is ratty yet seemingly watertight
UserPostedImage
Painted door handles
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
When i first viewed it i thought it might be a 'Standard', so after a bit of research it would seem my hunch was right.

Had a little go at the hand painted silver paintwork just to see if my suspiscions would prove right, sure enough grey paint started to appear

UserPostedImage

So after trying all sorts of thinners, graffiti remover etc oven cleaner and wire wool seemed to be a winner, with a little cutting with G3 and polish

UserPostedImage

Just hope theres more original paint to be found :d
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Seeing as im introducing myself this is my daily driver

A 71 SA import, one previous owner Clipper Deluxe
UserPostedImage

And my 61 Bug ive had for about 18 years, use to be my daily
UserPostedImage

:d
54 Gertie
14 years ago
The stock police will tar and feather you for the lowered one's. :lol: :wink:

Nice find, seen it "on t'other side"
William
VW Stan
14 years ago
Hi, welcome to pre67.
I saw your thread on restowagen too.
There are plenty of standard owners and fans on here if you need any info or help with this project.

What are you plans for your standard, keeping it stock?

Malc ('58 RHD UK std) :d
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
CNE789
14 years ago

When i first viewed it i thought it might be a 'Standard', so after a bit of research it would seem my hunch was right.

Had a little go at the hand painted silver paintwork just to see if my suspiscions would prove right, sure enough grey paint started to appear

53 stu wrote:

Hi 53 stu,

Thanks for the introduction. What is your first name, please?

That ´53 is a great find, but as far as I can tell it is not a Standard model. ´53 Standards had painted bumpers, hubcaps and door handles, no chrome trim, three spoke steering wheel, etc. Or could yours be a Standard with posh features added later?

The chassis number should tell us more about how it left the factory.

Regards,
Hanno

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

Hebster52
14 years ago
The door window winder knobs looks like they are black. Also hard to tell but looks like the ventwindow pillars on the doors are painted and no chrome surrounding the doorwindows and the steeringcolumn is black.
Also the outer doorhandles are painted.

I would dare to say it is a genuine standard with deluxe parts added later. The steeringwheel is a late oval not an early oval batwing either so it is an add-on too..
The HebsterWerks.
48REME
14 years ago

That ´53 is a great find, but as far as I can tell it is not a Standard model. ´53 Standards had painted bumpers, hubcaps and door handles, no chrome trim, three spoke steering wheel, etc. Or could yours be a Standard with posh features added later?

CNE789 wrote:

I think you will find, as has often been the case, that this car was updated to a deluxe model. The fact that the headlining is limited to the standard rectangular format and the painted door handles are a good sign of it being an original standard. Also, it looks like Jupiter grey lies dormant under all the silver:wink:
Standard split
14 years ago
Hi 53 Stu.

You have a very interesting car there, as you of course realise :beer:

Like many Standards, previous owner(s) have added DeLuxe parts. Does your car still have cable brakes all-round and a non-synchromesh gear box :?:

Classic Standard model colour too, Jupiter Grey. Well worth restoring:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
CNE789
14 years ago

I think you will find, as has often been the case, that this car was updated to a deluxe model. The fact that the headlining is limited to the standard rectangular format and the painted door handles are a good sign of it being an original standard. Also, it looks like Jupiter grey lies dormant under all the silver:wink:

48REME wrote:

Indeed, like I said, "it could be a Standard with posh features added later". It indeed seems this is the case as the grey colour is a Standard-only colour only 1953. Q: is it perlgrau L21 or jupitergrau L225? I think Perlgrau is a lighter shade?

And like Hebster pointed out, the steering column is black, this is another indication, just like the headliner, etc., etc.

It is interesting to study these kinds of pictures as they tend to reveal new details everytime one looks at them. VW archeology!

Hanno

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

48REME
14 years ago

Q: is it perlgrau L21 or jupitergrau L225? I think Perlgrau is a lighter shade?

CNE789 wrote:

L225 Jupitergrau. Perlgrau disappeared with the split window. L225 went onto the Standards until 1963 or 1964.
Hebster52
14 years ago
Some interesting stuff here.

https://members.fortunecity.com/jupitergrey/ 
The HebsterWerks.
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
cheers for the replies, yep as far as i can tell it is defo a Standard with a few deluxe pieces added here and there, for now the interior will get a clean and polish and i'll try to rectify any wrong or mismatched bits, the exterior will be getting Snowflake lights until i can find (afford) some heart shaped ones.

The decklid i'm not so sure what to do with at the mo as it has some original period stickers that are pretty cool :d

Thanks for your interest
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

It is interesting to study these kinds of pictures as they tend to reveal new details everytime one looks at them. VW archeology!

Hanno

CNE789 wrote:

Yep im loving that at the moment although i cant do much work on it until ive moved house as all my tools etc are packed away :roll: :d
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

What is your first name, please?

CNE789 wrote:

Stuart :d
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi Stuart
whats the registration number of you red bug??
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

Hi Stuart
whats the registration number of you red bug??

Dakota wrote:

Why do you want to know that mate?
GKL 7
14 years ago
Probably because he thinks 53Stu is the Stu that used to post here.
53 stu
  • 53 stu
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
nah this is the first time ive been here
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi Stuart
I wanted to know the Reg No of your red bug because years ago I rescued one from a breakers and it ended up registered FSV 393 or 393 FSV , I think, well it was 1985 or so when I rescued it and '88 when I sold it , so no odd nosey stuff going on just wondering if it was maybe my old bug, Bill.