CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi all,

My name is Hanno and I live in Holland. I have owned a couple of Beetles, mostly 1970s vintage, all sold now. Last remaining one I own is a 1965 VW 1200 Export (type 113), which originally came from Sweden:

UserPostedImage 

After being in deep storage for a number of years I now have it in my garage at home and am contemplating what I should do with it. Suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Hanno

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
59 Ragtop
14 years ago

Looks a nice original car, and theyre getting harder to find as we all now... In my view keep it original. By the way are they Porsche 5 Stud Wheels?
tofufi
14 years ago

Looks a nice original car, and theyre getting harder to find as we all now... In my view keep it original. By the way are they Porsche 5 Stud Wheels?

59 Ragtop wrote:

Looks like standard Beetle steels to me. 1966 and '67 1200/1300 (5 stud) models only.
CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Here are a couple more pictures. Engine is a 1300cc (but I do have a 1200cc engine correct for the model year).

UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage 

Body has usual rust in heater channels, and there is surface rust on the exterior of the body because at one time it was tarped over while in storage. But I had a close look the other day and was surprised this Beetle has no rot in the spare wheel well and rear valance. The profiles which hold the rubber for the front and rear lids are not rotted away. The rain gutter has one bad spot on the right hand side, rest is good. Underside of doors are rusty as well. Chassis is solid, even under the battery. All in all not too bad for a 44 year old car.

But is has been used well, dings and small dents on bonnet and roof, small leather sport steering wheel, at one time it even had a fur lining on the dashboard! "Sporty" slotted wheels fitted, I think they are '66 model year wheels. A pair of yellow fog lights (now gone). I guess those are essential add ons for driving in Sweden?

I have always like the Standard Beetles, maybe I will restore it as such?

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

I own is a 1965 VW 1200 Export (type 113), which originally came from Sweden

CNE789 wrote:

By the way, its Swedish registration was "CNE 789", which explains my forum nick name :wink:

It was brought to Holland by a Swede, who moved into the neighbourhood where I used to live. Seeing that Beetle everyday made me want to have it. He had no special relation with the car, even though it was a wedding gift from his uncle when he married a Dutch girl and moved to Holland. It still needed to be imported, and needed new link pins for it to pass its APK (MOT) test.

- Hanno

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Took some more pictures recently.

First some of the spare wheel well and front trunk:

UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage 

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Under rear seat area:

UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage 

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Front footwells:

UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage 

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Interior:

UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage  UserPostedImage 

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Recently read 1960s Swedish Beetles were delivered with the following specific features (see some of the pictures above):

- steering wheel lock
- larger reflectors in the brake/indicator light
- gravel guards on rear wings (these were fitted by the importer: Scania!)

Reportedly, the M334 factory fitted option included:
- mud flaps
- laminated windscreen

Who can tell more about spefic Swedish additions / features?

Thanks in advance!
Hanno

59 Ragtop
13 years ago
Interesting info.I also have a Swedish Beetle,mine has Orkano Stone Guards on the rear wings.Sorry but i dont have any more info, but though it may be of interest.
CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago

Interesting info.I also have a Swedish Beetle,mine has Orkano Stone Guards on the rear wings.Sorry but i dont have any more info, but though it may be of interest.

59 Ragtop wrote:

Thanks, it is by "comparing notes" that collectors and restorers are able to piece together things like country specific features.

If and when I find more info I will post it here.

H.

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Attached are pictures of a Swedish manual dating from May 1963 (source: www.keversite.nl). They show the accessories available for the VW 1200.

It seems not all the accessories mentioned earlier were fitted as standard to comply with Swedish road regulations as suggested, but were optional.

H.  93181.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  93183.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago

Recently read 1960s Swedish Beetles were delivered with the following specific features:
- gravel guards on rear wings (these were fitted by the importer - Scania)

CNE789 wrote:

A snapshot of the Swedish "gravel guard, rear" or "skärmskydd, bak" - note it is fitted to the mudguard with screws:

UserPostedImage 

CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Been off-line for a long time. So it's time for an update. Last november I sold my VW 1200. Here is a picture of it being picked up:
UserPostedImage 

It is now for sale on a Dutch dealer's website. I am afraid it will get the lowering treatment etc. . . sad, but you can't save them all in their orginal configuration.