velvet green
14 years ago
Hi guys, Has anyone any information on lpg or gas setups on the early air cooled
vw motor?....anyone? cheers zsolt in australia.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Hi guys, Has anyone any information on lpg or gas setups on the early air cooled
vw motor?....anyone? cheers zsolt in australia.

velvet green wrote:

1. Hi and welcome.
2. This is a restoration forum, so not really our thing.
3. I can scarcely imagine how little fun driving a 30hp Beetle with even less power than stock would be!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
velvet green
14 years ago
Hi JD,
Discussion is restoration, thanks for your input.
I have a setup off of an early split window
bus which had run gas...it apparently had ran well,
but I am looking for postive feedback, ideas or info of any kits
that were available etc...that would be great...cheers zsolt.

lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Hi Zsolt,

I think James would be surprised to know that LPG has been used as fuel for the internal combustion engine for well over 50 years. Most of us associate it as a cheaper form of fuel that's appeared over the last 20 years but obviously that's not the case.

What make is the kit you have, or is it a "home brewed" kit made up from various parts made by several manufacturers?

https://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=64182&seq=0 
John.
velvet green
14 years ago
Hi John,
I will check the kit I have for any markings. Have to dig it out...
cheers zsolt.
velvet green
14 years ago
Hi John,

It is a century kit....and can be used on a pair of carbs..
zsolt.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Hi John,

It is a century kit....and can be used on a pair of carbs..
zsolt.

velvet green wrote:

"Century LPG Kit" doesn't return anything of use in "Google" but typing in "LPG" on The Samba returns quite a few hits.

It seems LPG has one major asset when used with a turbo...you don't need an intercooler as the mixture temperature is much lower than the normal air/fuel mixture. Should have a beneficial effect too if used it with a Supercharger so this is not such an inappropriate place for LPG question.

Apart from that...I'm afraid I can't help.
John.
velvet green
14 years ago
Hi John,thanks for the post....been busy with work up to christmas...also great setup on the ghia...hats off for the work in that one...zsolt in australia.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Hi John,thanks for the post....been busy with work up to christmas...also great setup on the ghia...hats off for the work in that one...zsolt in australia.

velvet green wrote:

Good luck with the LPG quest Zsolt...no hard work on the Ghia...just like Judsons, a bolt on and drive kit.:wink:

Happy Christmas and don't get too burnt on the beach.8)
John.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Hi, Zsolt :d You will find that although in Aus and NZ you have cars that have been running LPG/dual systems for decades, it is not popular at all in Europe and never has been and is not becoming any more popular in current years either. In Europe we know very little about it so you will find far more information about what you are trying to do at home on NZ/Aus forums. Try posting question on NZ forum  there are a few people on there who will know.
I used to have an old late 70s Toyota pickup truck(ute :lol: ) as a daily when I lived in NZ that was dual LPG/petrol but I never used the LPG as I hated the smell filling up and also it was a gutless drive! but then it was an old system ( only jap car I have ever owned!)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann