48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I would like to thank Tim Joosten of Munich for sending me these two pictures of my car which he took around 1992.
I was never quite sure how it might have looked originally so I was a bit worried when I had it restored, being only able to go by what the VW museum suggested.
I'm glad that these two old pics feel familiar compared to how it is now.
It's clear that on the photos, the car was still in its original Reseda Green. It was photographed opposite Autohaus Karl Moser in Puchheim, near Munich. It had been standing there for a very long time, with no papers or number plate and a mechanic from the Autohaus got hold of it. Once his, he still left it there until it was starting to sink in the pile of gravel it was parked against. Around 1993 or 1994, the mechanic realised he wouldn't do anything with it so he sold it to Hubert Westmaier who has a VW workshop in nearby Egenburg. After that it went to the man who restored it in grey and so on...
I detect a small badge on the front left quarter panel. The green car next to mine has the same so it might have been a dealership badge from Autohaus Karl Moser. I don't have that unfortunately. Now, I'm off to try and locate the mechanic from the Autohaus to try and find out who and where he got the car from...!:wink:  vw1 copy.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  vw2 copy.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  WOLFSBURG.01.copy.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Nice research!
And comforting to see what great condition it was in then.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Just put some fuel on the "too shiny" fire why don't you! :lol:

The car looks great in the old photos, remarkable seeing as it seems to have been stood so long.8)

Authaus Karl Moser 

May this be the badge?

UserPostedImage
William
VW Stan
14 years ago
Hi Nicolas,
Are those hubcaps silver? Hard to tell! :?

When is the magazine feature, or have I missed it already?

Malc
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
oval56
14 years ago
so i see, tim was a good tip :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago

Hi Nicolas,
Are those hubcaps silver? Hard to tell! :?

When is the magazine feature, or have I missed it already?

Malc

VW Stan wrote:

Hi Malc,
The hubcaps are green as seen in this photo taken by the man who turned it grey in 1995, just before he started the restoration.
Up to now, I only had this set of photos, showing the car with no wings or bumpers on.
I think the feature is coming in January or maybe later.  Kaefer 1959 Restauration-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago

Just put some fuel on the "too shiny" fire why don't you! :lol:

The car looks great in the old photos, remarkable seeing as it seems to have been stood so long.8)

Authaus Karl Moser 

May this be the badge?

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

Great detective work, mister! I think you might be right although the badge looks less colourful on the old pics.
Maybe it was the same design but more simple?:wink:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Great stuff Nicolas! It's always nice to be able to piece together a car's history like a jigsaw puzzle. I hope you can find out more.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.