JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I´ll keep this fairly short and very factual, but I wanted to warn other people about my experience with the WW Okrasa kit.

My friend and engine builder Eric recieved the kit some days ago and it was obvious that there was some kind of defect with the heads. The shoulder that the top of the cylinder was supposed to seat on inside the head was, at one point, only 1.5mm wide.

UserPostedImage

This is certainly not enough material to provide a decent seal or to prevent it blowing by in very short order.

I emailed WW in the hope of getting some help, but unfortunately the "tech" guy only seemed to want to tell me - over and over again - what he thought must be wrong with my parts. When finally persuaded to discuss the heads at all, I was simply told that there is no problem with the heads and that they are "within tolerance". Well it must be a rather epically large tolerance then. I was eventually offered a refund, which isn´t really an option either due to the cost to ship back from Europe/import duties already paid etc.

I don´t doubt that some of you have bought this kit and it´s been fine, but this is not my experience.

If you are planning to use these heads with 77mm cylinders, then you may be in for some expensive machine work and welding before you can even fit them. And don´t count on any help from WW if you do have a problem, because you won´t get any.

UserPostedImage
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RockStock
14 years ago
well, looks like WW need to step up to me
StockRocks
55Kab
14 years ago
Ooooh, that's not good news James. Given the popularity of this kit do you know yet if this is a quality drop-off with just your kit? I assume quite a few have been sold now...perhaps place a post on the Samba?

JD
  • JD
14 years ago

Ooooh, that's not good news James. Given the popularity of this kit do you know yet if this is a quality drop-off with just your kit? I assume quite a few have been sold now...perhaps place a post on the Samba?

55Kab wrote:

Already posted there. It´s unfortunate that the photo with the ruler is at a bad angle - makes the measurement look bigger than it is and makes me look like a moaning git! I am promised some better pics over the weekend.

No idea if its a quality drop off, or just a duff one that nobody bothered to check. Some people have been happy with them and others less so, but mine is IMHO unusable as is. This measurement on an original Okrasa head is supposed to be 2.3mm, which is also a little close for comfort. If WW really spent so much time and effort on re-creating this kit as they´d have me believe, then why on Earth did they fail to notice and correct this?
UserPostedImage
356boy
14 years ago
maybe Jules at KK could measure a few and get back to us to let us know if they are all the same, i was contemplating buying a set

JULES..... JULES...
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
A clearer photo of the "within tolerance, defect free" head.:x

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
dinsdale
14 years ago
1.5mm wide? - That makes them a VERY accurate copy of many the original heads. I had my NOS heads welded up to add some material for the same reason.

From the pictures, there's plenty of metal on the other side. It might be they have rather slack tolerances when machining for the cylinders.

Pete
'54 Beetle with Okrasa
356boy
14 years ago
that ruler looks a bit worn to me, you can see by the rounded edges, any proper engineer would have bined that by now, you should invest in a new one
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Worn ruler or not ,its plain to see 1.5mm .You have every reason not to be happy .That kit is not cheap and another example of problematic repro parts.Worst thing is ,it not only dents your wallet but your enthusiasm for the hobby.After recent experiences I rarely buy any parts now without seeing/measuring them first .
velvet green
14 years ago
bite the bullet and rebuild old stuff....repro just does not cut it....metals, finish etc etc........not good to hear ww did not want to know much about it....at least you got money back......
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

bite the bullet and rebuild old stuff....repro just does not cut it....metals, finish etc etc........not good to hear ww did not want to know much about it....at least you got money back......

velvet green wrote:

They offered me my money back, and have also offered to pay the return shipping costs, which is nice, but I´m going to keep the heads and make them work. They may not be right, but they are the only game in town. Eric tells me that a couple of the valves leaked a little too. Makes me wince to think of people bolting these straight onto their engine, right out of the box. I know that´s what you should never do with engine parts, is to use anything without checking it carefully first, lapping valves and so on, but some of the replies on thesamba really make me wonder. Seems like there are few time bombs under construction!

Original Okrasa heads would be great if you can find some that aren´t cracked and can afford them.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

that ruler looks a bit worn to me, you can see by the rounded edges, any proper engineer would have bined that by now, you should invest in a new one

356boy wrote:

They won´t let me have things with sharp corners in here.:cry:
UserPostedImage