mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me what duty if any will have to be paid on a '49 Standard imported into the UK from Belgium? I've seen conflicting advice from various forums and the UK Customs And Excise site isn't too clear either. Some say 5% tax and some say no duty will have to be paid. Any more advice that anyone can offer to make it easier will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
Think you'll find it's duty free from any EU state.(private sale)
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Andy,

As George says- no charge for moving cars aroud within the EU.

Have you purcahsed the car? Is it a post or pre June car?

Rich.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi Richard,
It's an early November '49. I've already applied for the Birth Certificate to find the exact date.
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
69project
14 years ago
sounds nice,my 51 just came from belgium and it was all free!
Car less.....
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Chassis number is 1-0166934 which puts it around first third of December 1949.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
14 years ago

sounds nice,my 51 just came from belgium and it was all free!

69project wrote:

I've just read on the other side that you are going to do bad things to that '51! :shock:

:lol:
William
mrmagyar
14 years ago
You call putting a Golf GTi engine in the back and lowering the roof by 2 inches bad? It's all the rage you know!
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Phil@Oval54
14 years ago
You didn't mention any of this to me!! I'm having second thoughts now!! 😳
Still I know a nice Ultra Maroon Oval that can be slammed instead :d
UK 1954 RHD Stock Black Oval
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Can somebody explain the difference between the frame number and the chassis number please? I would have thought the chassis and frame were one and the same thing.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
14 years ago

You call putting a Golf GTi engine in the back and lowering the roof by 2 inches bad? It's all the rage you know!

mrmagyar wrote:

Oh no, I only heard about the whale tail!
William
JARV
14 years ago
Andy, let's see some pics then.....

Frame and chassis number are different this one puzzled me when I got my '52 back, one is in the usual place (under rear seat on tunnel) and the other is also underneath rear seat but to the RH side from memory.

No import duty but you just have to pay the £ 80.00 registration fee to DVLA - they'll need proof of car age , don't give them origonal of birth cert, as they decided to stamp one of mine once:evil:

Will it be at Stanford Hall??
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi Phil,

I just wondered what the frame number represented. On the '49 it's stamped above the chassis number (under the back seat) but perpendicular to it. The car won't be at Stanford Hall as it has to be registered and MOT'd etc plus the interior is to put right, plus headlining... It should be ready for next years though!
Anyway, we're looking forwards to doing it all even if it will lighten our wallets!

Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe