monstermoo
14 years ago
Our 60 is giving us a bit of trouble.

He doesn't like to start and can take quite a bit of cranking to get the motor going. Its easier since we fitted a choke cable that actually works, but the main problem is (I think) the starter motor.

More often than not, when the key is turned the engine cranks a couple of times and then there is a loud whirring noise - as if the starter motor has disengaged. This can happen time an again, and after some persistence the engine will catch and actually fire up.

Is this a common, recognised problem and what is the actual cause/remedy?

The other problem is sometimes it just cranks and cranks but won't fire (I've fitted new plugs and I think its had a new distributor cap in recent years) to the point where the engine gives a mild clunking/popping sound (still without starting). The engine has done about 53k. Any ideas?

When it's running the engine seems fine.

TIA
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Start with the starter motor problems first.
First step, change the starter motor bush. If that doesn't solve the problem, clean up the earth check strap connections on the gearbox and battery body earth. If that doesn't solve it, it's almost certainly the starter motor.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.