Boris1966
13 years ago
Hi everyone,
I've just bought a 67 bug with 1493cc engine and factory 12volt. I would like to swap the speedo for an MPH version. Is it a straight swap? Or not so straight forward?
Cheers
Leane
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Just make sure you find the correct year for your car - they are usually (or even always?) date stamped on the back, so it´s easy to tell if you´ve found the right one. But, yes, it´s an easy swap. You only need a screwdriver to do it.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Boris1966
13 years ago
Thank you.
The numbers on the reverse are as follows: 111957023E 1.66
Written in blue ink is: 36 1.66
My beetle is a "D" registered (registered on 7th Nov 1966) so a 1967 model.
I have asked a few questions about the speedo to the seller but don't think he knows much about beetles. He us advertising the speedo as a 1966 year. Do you think the serial numbers match to my car?
Cheers
Leane :0)
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
The blue ink will be it. Jan 66. The stamp confirms it too. I´m sorry, but I don´t know if they changed between 66 and 67, but I suspect they may have. Mr Oakley?
UserPostedImage
Boris1966
13 years ago
Thanks for the info so far. The item is for sale on eBay - 1966 spedometer beetle -
Yes...... Mr. Oakley can you advise!! :0)
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
A bit of googling tells me its the same 90mph unit as in 1966, but I´d check if I were you.
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
66 and 67 speedos are the same.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Boris1966
13 years ago
Thanks for the responses :0)