pbaptist
13 years ago
OK, the coupe was not a Dannenhauer & Stauss.

But this one is, It is build by Dannenhauer & Stauss, but it is not the car as we know it.

DSCF0012.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCF0002.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
SplitPersonality
13 years ago

OK, the coupe was not a Dannenhauer & Stauss.

But this one is, It is build by Dannenhauer & Stauss, but it is not the car as we know it.

pbaptist wrote:

Wow! So it is a D&S-body on a non-VW chassis? What base is it?

Very nice.... I am receptive to say "convert it to fit a VW-pan"....but I guess that is wrong...
SplitPersonality
13 years ago
Here is another Dannenhauer & Stauss car... one of the most beautiful, most overlooked cars in the Porsche-VW-Audi family: The DKW Monza Coupe.

UserPostedImage
pbaptist
13 years ago

Here is another Dannenhauer & Stauss car... one of the most beautiful, most overlooked cars in the Porsche-VW-Audi family: The DKW Monza Coupe.

UserPostedImage

SplitPersonality wrote:

This car is not abuild by Dannenhauer. It was build by Schenk.

The KDW Monza was build by 4 different companies and there are some small difference between the cars:

https://www.dkwmonza.de/  and you can read all about it

This one is a Dannenhauer build DKW Monza:
UserPostedImage
pbaptist
13 years ago
Here are the pictures of the D&S from the US. This car was reported as the black car in the US.

Enjoy looking at the pictures.

UserPostedImage
SplitPersonality
13 years ago
WOW....what a wonderful car!

Is it in this condition in 2010 as well? If so - it must be the most desireable D&S out there... Fantastic - thanks for sharing.
overrestored
13 years ago

let's not forget to include the forerunner of the Dannenhauer and Stauss... otherwise known as the Auto Technic

UserPostedImage

overrestored wrote:

quoting oneself... very odd... but due to a CORRECTION!

I found some more Auto Technic shots today on my old Apple IIci!. Prior to today I thought this car was an Auto Technic... but the shots of that car... show that it is very different from this car.

-The windscreen is significantly shorter than this car.
-The doors open the other way
-the rear end is a lot different.

So I don't know what this car is. perhaps it is somewhere between an Auto Technic and a Dannenhauer and Stauss.... I really don't know.

I will post the other shots of the actual Auto Technic when I can figure out how to get them off my 25 year OLD computer! I need to find some old discs... and then find a disc drive with a firewire or USB cable to plug into my iMac... or figure a way to get that antique computer hooked directly to my new mac.

I totally forgot I even had these shots until today!
protect me from what I want
pbaptist
13 years ago

WOW....what a wonderful car!

Is it in this condition in 2010 as well? If so - it must be the most desireable D&S out there... Fantastic - thanks for sharing.

SplitPersonality wrote:

No, this was the condition of the car when it was bought in 1985. The restoration on this car is started, but stopped at some time. The current owner will continue with the restoration ans eventually finish it, but for now it is unknown when that will be.

pbaptist
13 years ago

quoting oneself... very odd... but due to a CORRECTION!

I found some more Auto Technic shots today on my old Apple IIci!. Prior to today I thought this car was an Auto Technic... but the shots of that car... show that it is very different from this car.

-The windscreen is significantly shorter than this car.
-The doors open the other way
-the rear end is a lot different.

So I don't know what this car is. perhaps it is somewhere between an Auto Technic and a Dannenhauer and Stauss.... I really don't know.

I will post the other shots of the actual Auto Technic when I can figure out how to get them off my 25 year OLD computer! I need to find some old discs... and then find a disc drive with a firewire or USB cable to plug into my iMac... or figure a way to get that antique computer hooked directly to my new mac.

I totally forgot I even had these shots until today!

overrestored wrote:

There is a picture on bugland.be of an auto technic: (only one mad?)
UserPostedImage
markh
13 years ago
pbaptist, you have a Private Message.

Lets make a overview of all the existing Dannenhauer & Strauss.

From some D&S owners I heart that they have a list of known cars. Currently 18 examples are known of with 13 of them are drivable/restored.

2 * 1951
2 * 1952
11 * 1953
3 * 1954

The wish of a lot of owner is to remain anonymous, what is logical. I respect this wish, so will provide no names, but only the country were the car is located.

Who can add pictures of other cars to this list. (there are still 3 cars missing!!)

Split window cars:

1) 1951 Second D&S build, Silver, located in Suisse with its second owner
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

2) 1951 VW museum car (licence: AB CW 505 or WOB 051H)
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

3) 1952 White car from Austria (licence W BABY 50)

4) 1952 Black car located in the Netherlands:

5) 1953 Brown located in Germany (licence Fu DS53H)

Normal window

6) 1953 Sweden (licence UNIK53)
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

7) 1953 Was on show in HO 2005. (car located in Belgium)

8 ) 1953 Swiss car, licence SG 29809

9) 1953 Located in Germany (licence HD DS53H)

10) 1953 Famous car form the US.

11) 1953 restored by Lenny Copp, now collection of Flat4, Japan,

12) 1953 Located in germany (Licence SE 04438 and SE BJ53H)

13) 1953 Black car, located in teh US
UserPostedImage

14) 1953 Green one with Suisse licence SG 115187, now in Australia

15) 1953 Was for sale in Germnay, will now go to the US.

16) 1954 Was for sale in Australia and stayed there.

17 ) 1954 Located in germany (licence HM 04583 and HM TG54))

18) 1954 owned by a coachbuild collector in the US

pbaptist wrote:

pbaptist
13 years ago
SplitPersonality
13 years ago
I am looking through this intersting thread again.

Mr Luzzi comented he has pictures of 43 different D&S VW-cars. Does that mean that only 43 were made...or were there more? Does anybody know for ceratin what the production was?
pbaptist
13 years ago
He oystein

There are two different productionnumbers mentioned in books. 135 and around 80.
The last is the most logical, but if you conseder the looks of the car it would be hard to beleive that only 22% have survived.

Maybe the 80 cars is all the cars D&S made, so inclusive the ca 15 DKW Monza's build.

Patrick
matara
13 years ago
Looks like 2 are off to West Coast US from BBT in Belgium:-

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Lots more pics here

https://blog.bbt4vw.com/2011/02/09/dannenhauer-stauss/ 
SplitPersonality
13 years ago
Two in the same container?

I guess the risk-asessment for transatlantic ocean freight did not take the rarity and survival rate into account...
YanRami
13 years ago
The unrestored terracota red car with grey patches of primer was the car of Randy in the USA, an avid VW enthusiasts who owned numerous cars in the 80ies, and was great fun to know.
The cream is the Heb, and you know it.
pbaptist
12 years ago
Here is a picture of the D&S Hardtop coupe that was hidden in a barn in Oregon for the last 38 years.

UserPostedImage
zelensis61
12 years ago
Thanks for sharing Patrick. I think the new owner will be happy. Does it stay in the US?

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
pbaptist
12 years ago
After the find of the D&S coupe, it was time to update the overview of existing D&S cars.

I now also added the repro from Belgium and the hack-up body in germnay

UserPostedImage
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Intresting you have AB CW 505 as a museum car. here it is in black in the U/K in the 90s  Resize Wizard-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.