GKL 7
13 years ago

When I spoke to him about what he was going to do with the car, he was pretty keen on keeping it stock. But I've not seen the car for quite a few years, so who knows...

pre67vw wrote:

Isn't it now with a certain banker?
pre67vw
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Actually, now you come to mention it I think it might be yeah...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Are we practicing Cockney rhyming slang here:?:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
vintagebug
13 years ago

Are we practicing Cockney rhyming slang here:?:

Rattletrap wrote:

No, the person 50 Karmann mentioned is actually a banker. If he owns it now then I guess we'll never see it again... shame :cry: It'll be stored away with his other nice cars...

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rattletrap
13 years ago

No, the person 50 Karmann mentioned is actually a banker. If he owns it now then I guess we'll never see it again... shame :cry: It'll be stored away with his other nice cars...

vintagebug wrote:

Yes a shame, another car we won't see on the show circuit.:(

A reminder of how precious these early VWs have become.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
13 years ago

Yes a shame, another car we won't see on the show circuit.:(

Rattletrap wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I fear that John is much the same as our banker friend, treating these ever-appreciating cars as 'investments' and not as 'cars' which were built to be driven. Come on John, prove me wrong and bring some of your nice cars out to the shows. Don't use the excuse of being scared to drive them, getting them abused by the MoT man etc, just get them on the road and use them. If you need help on getting them roadworthy, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to pop up and help out.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I fear that John is much the same as our banker friend, treating these ever-appreciating cars as 'investments' and not as 'cars' which were built to be driven. Come on John, prove me wrong and bring some of your nice cars out to the shows. Don't use the excuse of being scared to drive them, getting them abused by the MoT man etc, just get them on the road and use them. If you need help on getting them roadworthy, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to pop up and help out.

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

The true spirit of the VW crowd IS still alive... :oops:

Ovaltine
13 years ago

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

That'll be Rattletrap then:wink:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

Something for Lavenham for sure.

I'm planning on Rattletrap, but I'm tempted with taking my unseen '49. Looks like a double car transporter is needed..:d

Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

I wasn't refering to the 55/53 hybrid, I was refering to the '47, '49, Tatra etc.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I wasn't refering to the 55/53 hybrid, I was refering to the '47, '49, Tatra etc.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Please Rich - he's a '50. A few bits (okay a lot really) replaced, but '50 is year of birth.8)

ianmac
13 years ago
Floorpan and suspension components are off to be sandblasted this week.

My attentions have turned to the engine. When I purchased the car it was fitted with a 30hp motor although it did come with the original 25hp motor which unfortunately had been stripped down and many of the parts were missing.

So being a speed freak I decided to build a 'hot' period looking motor. I managed to aquire a good used 30HP case, first treatment was a good steam clean:

UserPostedImage

I managed to find a very nice 30HP 72mm stroker crank from DPR in the US. I also tracked down a rather nice genuine early pre-A 356 'OT' pulley to complete the look. Today I cleaned the flywheel and assembled the crank ready for dynamic balancing.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I started collecting my parts some time ago prior to the availability of the WW Okrasa copy kits, so I had Jeff Denham in the US refurb my heads, the stainless valves and seats are a one off custom made by Manley, Jeffs head work is legendary!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I found a nice set of tin ware which I had sandblasted and sent down to Ben for some gentle treatment and a satin black powdercoat. Note the correct 25hp seamed fan shroud (thanks George:smile: )

UserPostedImage

I am on the lookout for some NOS or good condition used 30HP barrels and pistons if anyone has a set lurking ??
Rob Mac UK
13 years ago
Check here for repro ones and straight cuts..
https://www.aircooledresearch.com/docs/parts.html# 
or Wolfsburg west.
ianmac
10 years ago
Took the 51 out the other night and half way home started coughing and spluttering and died. By process of elimination the new rotor arm and distributor cap seemed to be at fault :twisted: replacement with an old brown cap and rotor arm and good as new, why are replacement parts so shite :?

Anyway nice morning for a spin, and warm enough to open the crotch coolers
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Well you've been busy since yourelast post here 3 years ago.

A very nice car:beer:
vintagebug
10 years ago
It's looking superb, Ian. Fill us in on what you've done to it since your last post.

No chance of me getting my Oval out today, not even to change the oil & get it ready for the "summer" (that was the plan for this weekend)- it's typical West of Scotland weather today ie. p*ssing down 😞

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
ianmac
10 years ago

It's looking superb, Ian. Fill us in on what you've done to it since your last post.

No chance of me getting my Oval out today, not even to change the oil & get it ready for the "summer" (that was the plan for this weekend)- it's typical West of Scotland weather today ie. p*ssing down 😞

Originally Posted by: vintagebug 

I spoke to one of my colleagues in Liverpool and it seems a vast contrast to the south west today, has been glorious weather here fortunately.

I did have another thread on KET but I am not sure where it went, I haven't done a lot since Ben and Co did the underside resto 2+ years ago. I took the 30hp engine out and painted all of the tinware so that looks better, but I am really trying to find all of the few missing incorrect parts. The original matching number 25hp engine is currently being rebuilt and slowly I have managed to source things like post march 51 heater boxes and head tin which was missing from the car and like hens teeth to find, hopefully after the summer I will have the original 25hp motor back in and detailed. I am still trying to locate a K manifold though !

I have also fitted correct repro running boards from Mika in Finland, I rewired the car with one of John Henry's wiring looms so now the electrics are really good, so lots of little things which have improved it. There are always things needed and early parts seem to be very hard to find and eye watering expensive, I really need a pair of correct windscreen wipers but the prices are shocking :shock:

My long term plan is just to make the car 100% correct but leave it 'as is' which is slightly ratty, the kids love messing about in it too which I think would be a big 'no' if it was pristine.....
UserPostedImage 
ianmac
8 years ago
After leaving the car sat in the garage for some time I decided to finish sourcing parts to complete the original 25hp motor, I abandoned the 'hot' 30hp motor idea.

The car came with the correct matching numbers case but unfortunately it was missing all of its parts. I managed to buy a couple of1950 and 1951 motors, both of which were fairly complete

UserPostedImage 
ianmac
8 years ago
Distributor sent off to Glenn Ring in New York who did an amazing job and returned in just over a week !

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage