pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago
I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...

UserPostedImage

:thumbup:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
13 years ago
My father used to have one,they are a good car.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I assume underneath they are basically a Type 3? Much like a 'normal' KG is just a wide beetle?

William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I assume underneath they are basically a Type 3? Much like a 'normal' KG is just a wide beetle?

54 Gertie wrote:

I believe they are identical floorpans to run of the mill type threes.

I like them too. I´d love to have one, but the trouble is they even make normal Karmann Ghias look rust resistant. Where would you ever find a good one?

In the book "VW treasures by Karmann" there s a design sketch of an alternative front end treatment that looks a whole lot better than what they actually used. The headlights are close together and the swage lines don´t roll around under the nose - they meet in the middle. The car looks like its frowning. Very moody!:x
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago

I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...

pre67vw wrote:

100% with you on that Rob. To the extent I'm thinking of buying one as a next project.

27574.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
55Kab
13 years ago

My father used to have one,they are a good car.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Got any pics?

55Kab
13 years ago

I believe they are identical floorpans to run of the mill type threes

JD wrote:

Correct. Under pinnings are stock T3.

Where would you ever find a good one?

JD wrote:

Look and you shall find!

https://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Karmann-Ghia-1500-T34-Razor-Edge-/380161351843?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item588361e0a3 

GKL 7
13 years ago

Got any pics?

55Kab wrote:

Once again,sorry Martin.
I think it was a sixty4.The reg was either LOU 236 OR 236 LOU(no suffix for some reason).It was on the front of an old VW Motoring.They are a very nice car,smooth ride,1500 twin carb.As mentioned all type 3 running gear and chassis.I was well impressed.But as also stated they liked to rot.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Blimey,they've gone up in price.
Think ours cost us £600.I know,it was an age ago:oops:
RockStock
13 years ago
completely underrated & overlooked!
who's going to the 50th?
flat caps look good on that silver one
have T3D done a razor? need to
StockRocks
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago

who's going to the 50th?

RockStock wrote:

50th what?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

50th what?

pre67vw wrote:

50 years of the Type 3.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
13 years ago
55Kab
13 years ago

It was on the front of an old VW Motoring

'50 Karmann wrote:

Got any idea month/year?

I've got most of them here so will look it out and post it up.

55Kab
13 years ago

RockStock wrote:

Not sure about that Chris, it would end up looking all silly low on 17" Fuch replica's :!: :thumbup:

Kids taxi
13 years ago

RockStock wrote:

Lets hope not, as it will end up being white with a red interior, like someone has been murdered in it and as Martin has pointed out some bloody awful crappy 17' wheels 😳 😳 😳

Im too Old for This
GKL 7
13 years ago

Got any idea month/year?

I've got most of them here so will look it out and post it up.

55Kab wrote:

25 years ago approx,you lose track of time when you get old.Thought you knew that:p
I was thinking, bet that number plates gone,you'd swear it was the car on your ebay link Martin,dead ringer.
55Kab
13 years ago

25 years ago approx,you lose track of time when you get old.Thought you knew that:p
I was thinking, bet that number plates gone,you'd swear it was the car on your ebay link Martin,dead ringer.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Found it. June 1982.

Inside cover says "Seen with his 1964 Type 3 Karmann Ghia is Somerset reader Graham Thompson."

DVLA check on the plate doesn't bring up anything so perhaps the plate was sold and the car reregistered on a DVLA B issue. Perhaps it really is the same car as the one on ebay...

1982 6 June.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  362 LOU p1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Found it. June 1982.

Inside cover says "Seen with his 1964 Type 3 Karmann Ghia is Somerset reader Graham Thompson."

55Kab wrote:

That's the guy we purchased it from,we picked the car up in Yeovil.
Think it was a set up,with Robin Wager.They knew each other and the car was advertised for sale the following month(after the cover issue).
55Kab
13 years ago

That's the guy we purchased it from,we picked the car up in Yeovil.
Think it was a set up,with Robin Wager.They knew each other and the car was advertised for sale the following month(after the cover issue).

'50 Karmann wrote:

Interesting. When did you sell it George? Fancy trying to track it down?

HPI check doesn't throw the plate up on another car so it would be interesting to know what happened to it. Looks a good one.