SplitPersonality
13 years ago
I see "akapip" is doing work on #547... I guess that puts a number to one of the question-mark cars in your list - you probably know which one.
pbaptist
13 years ago

I see "akapip" is doing work on #547... I guess that puts a number to one of the question-mark cars in your list - you probably know which one.

SplitPersonality wrote:

Off course I know :d

And you should know that the most up to date version is always published on your/our site :lol:

https://www.rometschregistry.org/lawrence/index.htm 
SplitPersonality
13 years ago

Off course I know :d

And you should know that the most up to date version is always published on your/our site :lol:

https://www.rometschregistry.org/lawrence/index.htm 

pbaptist wrote:

Wow...yet another reason to update some of the other stuff on that site - thanks a lot Patrick!
pbaptist
13 years ago
After the found of car 543 in december 2010, it was time to renew the overview.
I now made the registry on chronological order. So oldest know car first.

UserPostedImage

2010 was a good Rometsch Lawrence year, with the founding of the registry and off course the find of 2 cars that were in barns of many years (car 517 and 543)

2011 will even be a greater year as currently a lot of Lawrence are in the restoration fase. A lot of these cars will get back on the road in 2011/2012. Cars that are currenly in restoration are: 515,517,539,547,555,558,561,563. The bold ones will certainly be completed in 2011, so 2011 will be a great year for the Lawrence cars

Regards
Patrick
GKL 7
13 years ago
I found this picture on the internet,listed as a Karmann Ghia:o  rsz_1volkswagen_karmann_ghia_1600.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
13 years ago

I found this picture on the internet,listed as a Karmann Ghia:o

'50 Karmann wrote:

I love that sort of Ghia... :d :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
overrestored
13 years ago
Interesting that of the 85 produced...none of the first 14 cars are known... A zero percent survival for these first 14 cars. Whereas from 515 onward it appears that there is an approximate 50 percent survival rate. Weird. I have always questioned the actual number of vw rometsch cars built due to these odd missing groups of body numbers. Seems very strange that an entire block of cars would be destroyed when the later group has such a high survival rate.
protect me from what I want
zelensis61
13 years ago
It was common to add some nrs in the books for tax reason...nrs of cars in the books that never were made. I spoke to a man who collect cars for the last + 60 years...he got most of them from his father. The have +950 cars in stock.
He told me last friday at the opening day of the Brussels car show that some make's, even they started with nrs of cars like the first car is nr 100. Some make's used in different models the same engine nrs.
He was pointing towards Pre war cars. I think at Rometsch they also did that.
Maybe Christian can help us out here.

Greetings. Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Lawrence
13 years ago
Hello,

I talk with mr Kaulmann last year, a former worker/body maker from rometsch, he said that the lawrence numbers were starting with nr. 501.

https://www.historische-vws.de/goodies/rometsch.htm 

greetings
Rene
pbaptist
13 years ago
Regarding the numbers, I am also very curious if there were really 85 cars build of even less.

I am still missing the numbers of 8 different cars.

One of them is a 1957 build cvonvertible, so this might be one of the first 15. The italian car is probably has a number in the late 540th of early 550th. From the other cars I don't have any numbers.

Lets hope I get the number some day and hopefully we can also clear the real number of cars build. For now it is 85.

regards
Patrick

pbaptist
13 years ago
Last week I bought two other Rometsch Lawrence convertibles

The owner lost interest in restoring them, so he offered them to me.
The car previous known as nr 539 turned out to be car nr 533.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Regards
Patrick

Now onwer of three Rometsch Lawrence Convertibles :d
pre67vw
13 years ago

Now onwer of three Rometsch Lawrence Convertibles :d

pbaptist wrote:

Thats amazing! :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pbaptist
13 years ago
Today I checked all the parts from the 533 and the 558. Most of the parts were in boxes and I had to find out for with car they originally belong to.

Now I really saw the true coachbuild work of Rometsch. Parts from the different cars are not always interchangable.

In below picture are the two different chrome trips for the front window that goes between the wipers. One is more than 1 cm longer than the other

UserPostedImage

Here is an other example of the top chrome strip on the front window. One is 8 mm wider than the other strip and the holes are on complete different places. Fitting a strip from an other car won't work.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
overrestored
13 years ago
congrats on the new cars.... interesting to document the variation in dimensions.

What's the plan for the cars... are you going to figure out which is the best one... and then restore it and afterwards sell off the other two?

protect me from what I want
pbaptist
13 years ago

congrats on the new cars.... interesting to document the variation in dimensions.

What's the plan for the cars... are you going to figure out which is the best one... and then restore it and afterwards sell off the other two?

overrestored wrote:

Car nr 533 definately is the best. It has very little rust and bodypanels are good. Only a small crack at the right rear light.

For now, I will continue with restoring the 561 and will only use parts that come from the 561. Car 533 is also very complete, but is missing the rear bumper and unfortunately also the convertible top. The 558 has both bumpers and a convertible top frame, but was severe damaged in the past and needs a lot of work.

I have not decided if I keep the 533 and sell the 558 or that I sell them as a package deal. In the end I will only restore one and will sell two and for the moment I will go for the 561 to be the one I am keeping. (But it can also that I keep the 533 and sell the 558 and 561)

regards
Patrick
Lawrence
13 years ago

I see a couple of Rometsch have come on the 'open' market :beer:

https://www.holygrailgarage.com/1958_Rometsch_Lawrence_C.html 

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1107582 

aerosilver wrote:

the asking prices for them are :omg: :cry: :drool: 😳

Lawrence
51reutter
12 years ago
Is this VIN correct? #1956682

'58 ROMETSCH LAWRENCE 

Pre67 Add 
Instagram | @early_type
pbaptist
12 years ago

Is this VIN correct? #1956682

'58 ROMETSCH LAWRENCE 

Pre67 Add 

51reutter wrote:

Yes, the VIN is logical for the build dat of this car.
It belongs to car 543.

Patrick
51reutter
12 years ago
Thanks, this would be a cool car to have :thumbup:
Instagram | @early_type