pre67vw
13 years ago

What's Fred's e-mail add John,if he's selling cars,i'll have his Heb.
Steady Rob,i was first:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

He didn't want to sell it when I spoke to him last... He did say he'd send some up to date photos to me, but I've never received anything from him
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

He didn't want to sell it when I spoke to him last... He did say he'd send some up to date photos to me, but I've never received anything from him

pre67vw wrote:

Nope, I've had no feedback either. If someone has a 'phone number for Fred and can PM it to me I'll have another try. Don't post it of course, I'd not blame him for being a little cross about that.:wink:

Anyway, here's another little treat, MRT brand spanking new with Rudolf Mez the guy from the Wolfsburg factory at the wheel.

Wouldn't you just love to drive the car straight from this picture.:smile:

Almost 900,000 miles less than well – you know who.:sneaky:  MRT Mint.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
rudolf hucker
13 years ago
I would like to think that when you sold this car that you gave all the lovely photos and history to the new owner and didnt keep it for yourself. Please tell me the photo is a copy that you had made.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I would like to think that when you sold this car that you gave all the lovely photos and history to the new owner and didnt keep it for yourself. Please tell me the photo is a copy that you had made.

rudolf hucker wrote:

The original negatives were sent to me by Mr Mez and I made prints from them.

All that I had with the car was transferred with it Rudolf. This car is our 'VW38', far be it for me to spoil any part of it. :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
rudolf hucker
13 years ago
Thats good news..well done.
Rattletrap
12 years ago
Thanks to kevsplitty for this 1976 image.:beer:

UserPostedImage
kevsplitty
12 years ago
No worries, even then i was into the SSVC no not split screen van club,but socks,sandals,vest club:lol:
kevsplitty
12 years ago

Not an answer to the question but I can confirm seeing this car at the VW Convention at Stafford Showground, Staffordshire, England in 1971 and or 1972.
Even back then the car was owned by an enthusiast who enjoyed presenting it for others to see. That same gentleman still frequents VW shows in the UK, maybe I will se him again at Stanford Hall 2010?

Rod

Rod_vw wrote:

Should catch up as normal Rod,be good to see you again

kev, (maurice's son):wink:
kevsplitty
12 years ago

Hi Rod!

Welcome to the forum ('bout time too!!!)

I've spoken to the son of this gentleman on several occasions. He is also into his VWs and has a nice VW Bus.

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Indeed you have rich,hopefully catch up soon ,maybe lavenham:wink:
Chris
12 years ago
What a great thread :d Some great pictures there, really good to see people sharing this stuff. I once had a poster of MRT, it was in the garage as a bit of a kick up the arse to motivate me to get something done on mine :roll:

Good to see this thread back on track and not become the usual slagging match we sometimes get. While reading page 1, I was half expecting to see this thread locked 😳 Nice to see everyone getting on 😛
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Rattletrap
12 years ago
When I owned MRT, or Mr T as I called it, I used to have to put up with those 'experts' at shows, rather like we have today on the web.

"Its is converted to right hand drive", they'd say. "It wasn't built in Germany, but assembled in Ireland", "Its come over from South Africa", or "You've made it up, it didn't come here new", and so on. Sounds familiar ?

Well today, Mr T has been accepted as the historic car it really is by the majority. Proves patience eventually pays off.:d

GKL 7
12 years ago

Proves patience eventually pays off.:d

Rattletrap wrote:

You'll have a bit of an uphill climb convincing people about that other car 'tho.
Rattletrap
12 years ago

What a great thread :d Some great pictures there, really good to see people sharing this stuff. I once had a poster of MRT, it was in the garage as a bit of a kick up the arse to motivate me to get something done on mine :roll:

Good to see this thread back on track and not become the usual slagging match we sometimes get. While reading page 1, I was half expecting to see this thread locked 😳 Nice to see everyone getting on 😛

Chris wrote:

It is. Started by someone by the name of Standard Split. Why, he's used my Rattletrap avatar and signature, the scoundrel.:wink:

GKL 7
12 years ago

I once had a poster of MRT, it was in the garage as a bit of a kick up the arse to motivate me to get something done on mine :roll:

Chris wrote:

Different car,the poster you had was of a 1955 black Oval.MRT ???, not 308.

It obviously didn't motivate you enough:rofl:
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
VW motors GB were the offical importrs n didnt start bringing Vdubs here untill 1953 when bugs wer oval windows:d
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
Dose anyone have a really early rhd but officaly imported for uk dealer sale 53 n is the 1st of these stil around:? were the earliest 53s infact zwitters n not ovals:?
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
rudolf hucker
11 years ago

Different car,the poster you had was of a 1955 black Oval.MRT ???, not 308.

GKL 7 wrote:

Are you sure the car was not MTR 900? My old black oval, I think it was Athena the poster people who had it featured on birthday cards and posters.

Dave of Albania.
GKL 7
11 years ago
It probably was yours Rudy.
Just those strange looking Albanian plates have confused my memory.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I think I will have to eat some humble pie and possibly my hat too. The car in Ireland actually had a chassis number higher than MRTs. MRT is 332970, the 11D in Ireland was 333708. So it looks like John was right, MRT really is the earliest.

Now where's my hat?

Rich Oakley wrote:

As said elsewhere, MRT's chassis number is 1-0325474.

The other car mentioned by Rich is actually chassis number 1-0338078 (built 26th March 1952 a few weeks after MRT), it arrived on the 5th April 1952, two days before MRT did. It was delivered to Sparrow and Co, London. On the 6th April 1952 it was registered as LHV 763. What else comes to light here is that besides arriving before MRT, LHV 763 was supplied to a dealer as a new car. MRT was essentially a private import, driven to England and handed to a relative of the person importing it, for private use.

So although MRT has the lower chassis number, it perhaps was not the first VW built for the UK, but rather LHV 763 was. Remember Volkswagen were building RHD Beetles - Type 11D.

Sadly, MRT may have lost its crown of UK glory. Sadly also, when LHV was discovered in a Lincolnshire hedge during the early 1980's, it was well rotten and subsequently scrapped after attempts to locate a buyer to restore it failed.:(
Lost64
10 years ago
Giving my age away, but I remember the articles and debate about MRT 308 and LHV 763 in the I.V.V.M. back in the late 80's early '90's. There were some pictures of what was left of LHV after it had been rescued from the hedge, and it wasn't a pretty sight. The LHV registration lives on however on a very nice Oval dash split.

Gavin.