pbaptist
13 years ago
In stead of posting in the registry, I thought it is now time to start a topic about the restoration of my Lawrence 561.

What I started with when i bought the car at the end of 2009

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I knew all metal parts of the car was very bad, so I also bought the metal frame that was made 10 years ago when the VW museum car was restrored

UserPostedImage

The car was first shown at the Keverwinterfestijn in Jan 2010 and the rest of the year in the Dutch VW museum: https://www.wolfsburcht.nl/ 

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Since januari 2011 the restoration really started. I bought the car to the Grundmann's for the restoration.

UserPostedImage

First stage: Removing the paint:
UserPostedImage

Second fase: Removing the bodypanels
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And fitting them on the frame: (well only for show)
UserPostedImage

Next week, the car will cut up and the chassis will be cleaned
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Cool, thanks for the thread!! Will be great to follow the resto, looks like a huge amount of work - but of course they do know their Rometsch's there!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
micronaut
13 years ago
WOW YOUR CAR LOOKS LIKE THE BODY IS IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE NOW THAT WE CAN SEE IT WITH OUT PAINT. THE METAL FRAME EVEN LOOKS WAY BETTER THAN I IMAGINED.I AM SURE THE CREW IS HAPPY TO BE WORKING WITH THE NEW FRAME THOUGH.I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU DRIVE IT OUT OF THERE.
pbaptist
13 years ago
Today, the original frame was cut up. I reached the absolute worse stage of the resto. From now on the build can start and it can only get better.

The car turned out just a little more rusty than I thought. 😞
On the first pictures it didn't look that bad.

UserPostedImage
Lawrence
13 years ago
Hi Patrick,

I think you have a second frame? Will the body panels from 561 fit on this frame?

Rene
pbaptist
13 years ago

Hi Patrick,

I think you have a second frame? Will the body panels from 561 fit on this frame?

Rene

Lawrence wrote:

Off course they will fit.

Patrick
pbaptist
13 years ago
After having the change to buy the 558 and the 533, I reconsider my restoration plans and stopped the restoration of the 561 and took it back home. I will now have to decide with one is a keeper and with two may leave. For me it is always a hard decision to let a car go, but I can't affort to restore them all and for now I prefer to restore the 533 in stead of the 561.

Here is a nice picture for the Rometsch lovers. My three Lawrences together. From left to right (558, 561 and 533)

UserPostedImage

Patrick
pre67vw
13 years ago
Cool, I remember not so long ago you were looking for a Lawrence, I bet you never expected to end up with three!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
oval56
13 years ago

UserPostedImage

Patrick

pbaptist wrote:

that is a cool picture.... :thumbup: :drool:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
pbaptist
13 years ago

Cool, I remember not so long ago you were looking for a Lawrence, I bet you never expected to end up with three!!

pre67vw wrote:

No, I never expected to buy three is such a short period. But buying them is not the problem. Getting them restored is!

Patrick