Last Triumph
13 years ago

Got a phone call from Chris at Trimming Tonic who tells me he has found a way to repair the seat without replacing the piping.

I'm driving up there to collect it in the morning and will post pics of the results.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
I'll be coming to Stanford Hall. Not with air cooled assistance unfortunately! Kids, cots and stuff. So do we need some kind of funny hand shake? Or maybe a Techtyl stain on my left shirt sleeve, so you know who we are?
Last Triumph
12 years ago

I'll be coming to Stanford Hall. Not with air cooled assistance unfortunately! Kids, cots and stuff. So do we need some kind of funny hand shake? Or maybe a Techtyl stain on my left shirt sleeve, so you know who we are?

cupa65 wrote:

There's enough pics of me throughout the thread for you to recognise me, so just come and say hi.... remember to frown at the car, suck through your teeth and walk away disappointed for full effect!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Right then - I've now got another "Oh my God, that's amazing" trophy to add to the 'cylinder head fin' and 'panel beating' trophies....

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the trophy awarded for the most amazing seat repair...... and the award goes to....

https://www.trimmingtonic.co.uk/trimmingtonic/tt-splash.html 

Remember this...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Well check this out!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I cannot recommend Chris' services enough - he's a real old school gentleman if ever there was one and kind enough to squeeze my little job into his busy schedule knowing it was needed quickly for Stanford Hall.

Such a relief to repair it using all original material rather where other trimmers said it couldn't be done.

Cheers Chris.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
12 years ago

Right then - I've now got another "Oh my God, that's amazing" trophy to add to the 'cylinder head fin' and 'panel beating' trophies....

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the trophy awarded for the most amazing seat repair...... and the award goes to....

https://www.trimmingtonic.co.uk/trimmingtonic/tt-splash.html 

Last Triumph wrote:

In that little corner of Lancashire you'll only ever get a top job done.
Last Triumph
12 years ago

In that little corner of Lancashire you'll only ever get a top job done.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes indeed - he's not the only talented guy who understands quality in that building! :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
59 Ragtop
12 years ago

Great work that. Especially as the seats looked really good to start with:smile:
Last Triumph
12 years ago
With my most successful trip to collect the seat this morning and such glorious weather this afternoon, I made the most of my day off and rolled the oval out the garage to continued the 'first show / long journey' preparation.

Firstly, whilst the engine was cold I checked and reset the valve clearances now that the motor has done some miles following the rebuild. Nothing major, a few of them needed a little tweak, but only a touch.

I then re-adjusted all the brakes...... again..... I guess they'll bed in and settle down soon enough.

After that, I attached the heater cables to the lever arms on the side of the heater boxes - however, I wish I'd assembled the link arms before I put the heater boxes on the motor as trying to get it all assembled and the pin/circlip on from underneath where there is simply no access was a real frustrating ball acher, but I got there in the end, and guess what? The heaters work really well!

No pictures of that little lot as it's just too dull to contemplate.

Then, before I refitted the drivers seat, I pulled out all the original rubber mats, hoovered the floor pans, gave them a little soft brass wire brush in a few places that had a little surface corrosion, then wax sealed the pans good and proper, finally installing the cleaned mats again, and the seats.

Only got pics of the finished result, but I must say, the interior is looking VERY original indeed - I'm really chuffed.

After a long day at it, I couldn't help but take it out for a blast which was wonderful - simply wonderful!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Just a few last paint cosmetics to sort out and it'll be show ready, albeit still not 'finished'.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Caledfryn
12 years ago
Looking superb, Andy, and not only that, you've got the whole summer to enjoy it.
Last Triumph
12 years ago

Looking superb, Andy, and not only that, you've got the whole summer to enjoy it.

Caledfryn wrote:

Oh yes indeedy!

Gonna drive the wheels off it to all the shows this summer! :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
12 years ago
I may not recognise your face, but do you still have the trainers?
Last Triumph
12 years ago

I may not recognise your face, but do you still have the trainers?

cupa65 wrote:

Nah, the end fell off the left one, and it felt weird wearing odd shoes so they had to go... 😞

Here's a picture of me so you know who to laugh and point at...

UserPostedImage

That was taken almost a year ago to the day.

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
12 years ago
As the sun is shining and the birds are singing, I did an oil change first thing this morning just in case there was anything 'left over' from the rebuild - and was delighted to see the oil come out after 75 miles of 'testing' just a slightly darker shade of green than when it went in.

I filtered it through a fine filter paper to examine what was in there and the paper was completely clear - not a spec.

So, with fresh oil in, I fired it up and went for a blast in the sunshine.

Picked up Dad on the way and just drove about for half an hour though the busy town centres where everyone was out e joying the beautiful weather.

Got back, put him away and am now just sitting here with the most wonderful cheesy grin on my face. It's a drug - it's simply the most charming a wonderful drug.

:D

Going to a big family garden party this afternoon, and d'you know what?

I've had a a large bottle of MOET on ice for a long time now, waiting for an occasion to pop the cork.... found the occasion.

I'm gonna kick back in the garden with all my loved ones and drink ice cold champagne until the sun goes down.

Cheers everyone!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
TomF
12 years ago
Glad you're enjoying it, that panel beating looks really good. Keep it up!
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Really looking forward to Stanford hall - hope the weather stays nice.... Forecast says light rain on Saturday, but dry on the Sunday.

Fingers crossed everyone!

(I'll be taking it even if it's stair rods BTW...)
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rattletrap
12 years ago
I am truly impressed with you meticulous attention right through the project.:beer:

The panel beater's work has left me amazed too.:shock:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Last Triumph
12 years ago

I am truly impressed with you meticulous attention right through the project.:beer:

The panel beater's work has left me amazed too.:shock:

Rattletrap wrote:

Why thank you.

The wings aren't perfect by any stretch - as always, the photos hide all sorts, but the general shape is right, and the little creases and dimples just add character. The intention was never to hide the dents, just make things look a little less 'bashed'. :rofl:

I just love the car - it's just so honest, genuine and original, and just what I wanted all these years.

All I need to do is find a barndoor 21 window in a similar state and we'll be sorted!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
12 years ago
I love the "warts n all" thingy. I think you've done a fine job in retaining the patina on your car.

Hail Techtyl!!
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Bit more work today in preparation for it's first show on Sunday - mainly cosmetic stuff.

I removed the drivers side running board to clean all behind it, protect the sill, clean out the rear quarter drain holes and clean the running board itself.

Please to report it is as perfect as the other side.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I then removed all the wings, to clean behind the join and clean the wing beading etc.

I'll save you a repeat of four sets of identical pictures and just show you what it was like with one wing - the rest were all the same.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Unbelievable condition!

I then coated the joining surfaces with sealing wax, copper greased all the bolt holes and threads, then put them all back on again.

Nice.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Dakota
12 years ago