mooney3019
12 years ago
I just wanted to get peoples opinions on concours judging, how do they judge between an original car warts and all and a restored car that has had ££££'s lovingly lavished on it, I have entered mine in the concours knowing I wont win anything but am proud to show my car, its driven every week and is definatly not a trailer queen, but I dont see how they can be fairly compared ?

What are your thoughts?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on concours judging, how do they judge between an original car warts and all and a restored car that has had ££££'s lovingly lavished on it, I have entered mine in the concours knowing I wont win anything but am proud to show my car, its driven every week and is definatly not a trailer queen, but I dont see how they can be fairly compared ?

What are your thoughts?

mooney3019 wrote:

It depends how the classes are judged but normally a good clean original car showing the normal signs of ageing...doesn't have a chance against a carefully restored car.

Just be pleased that most people will see your car as beautiful in its own right despite the judges need to mark down every blemish.

John.
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Think I prefer to see a car that sees the tarmac (however infrequently/frequently), rather than those trailered in and out, then put away, and wrapped in cotton wool until the next show.
mooney3019
12 years ago
good, thats my opinion, mines out at least once a week
64rotbox
12 years ago
I remember seeing an argument at SH between a judge and an owner over the colour of his bumper irons, and at that point I decided that concours wasn't really for me! If you want to show your car off, then just go for it and forget about trophies and titles, and how much the bloke next to you must have spent etc. etc.

Well used or built to win, I'm just happy to see anything on display that isn't yet another pan-scraping wreck.
You can call me Al.
Robb
12 years ago
saw your car last night mooney at Alcester, mine was the black ragtop.

i have entered the 67 into the concours, i dont care if i win or lose, just glad to have the car that ive built displayed there.

see you sunday! :thumbup:
mooney3019
12 years ago
Ah that was you with the Ragtop, nice lookin car, love the black with red, I am looking forward to seeing your other one, not seen it for years,
PK56
12 years ago
Some people enter their cars to win and really enjoy beating the competition. Others enter just because they are proud of their car and enjoy showing it off and chatting with like minded people. In my experience, it is best not to take it too seriously. It's nice to win the odd trophy, but I have never been too serious about winning.

I love to see un-restored cars and nut and bolt restos. It's great to see them all. Your car deserves it's place in the line up. Whether it wins or not isn't really important. It's there on display for everyone to enjoy. So don't be put off showing your car. Judges will always be picky but that's concours for you. :smile:
Chris
12 years ago

...but I dont see how they can be fairly compared ?

What are your thoughts?

mooney3019 wrote:

My thoughts ?

Some people are in it soley to get a first place and win trophies and the kudos that goes with it. That then puts a higher value on their cars when they come to cash in sell it. That's why they trailer their cars to shows*, no stone chips or road tar on the bonnet to worry about.

Others want to enjoy their cars, and enjoy driving them. They get their pleasure out of people looking at their cars in admiration. I know which group I respect more and which group I will be part when I get my car on the road.

* I accept there is the odd occasion when there will be no option but to trailer their car to a show.

Well, you did ask :roll:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
cupa65
12 years ago
I asked one of the judges their views on cross ply tyres vs radials. They said that they weren't available in the 50's so the car would probably lose points. I explained that I thought the Citroen Traction Avant came with Michelin radials as standard in 1955.

My opinion is that if it has been repainted, new interior, 12 volt etc etc it should score less points that a faded original. Why, because it's is how it left the factory, warts, paint runs, missed bits and all.

I remember a Porsche 356A that sold for $115,000 because it was unrestored and still in its original faded paint. It was valuable as a record of how they were actually manufactured. The car offered an accurate records of finishes, type of screws used etc. As that level of detail had long been lost.