topolino
12 years ago
have done a few mid engine swaps in the past and had rides in quite a few more,i have had a 400hp smallblock in a fiero,2 litre supercharged x19, the fastest v8 one i had a ride in was a 914 swap , had a z28 302 engine ran really well,that was in the states, its quite a common swap, they do a turbo subaru swap in a 914 now, that is supposed to be the best balanced swap for the 914, the best recent mid engined swap i had a ride in belongs to a friend of the nephews, its a mk1 toyota mr2 with a engine and gearbox from a mk2 turbo mr2, it has been tested at just shy of 400hp, does a 0-60 in 4.2 secs, all these swaps are BIVA free, i think the guy who runs rodsandsods and volkstorque websites is building a midengined v8 beetle.
Last Triumph
12 years ago

have done a few mid engine swaps in the past and had rides in quite a few more,i have had a 400hp smallblock in a fiero,2 litre supercharged x19, the fastest v8 one i had a ride in was a 914 swap , had a z28 302 engine ran really well,that was in the states, its quite a common swap, they do a turbo subaru swap in a 914 now, that is supposed to be the best balanced swap for the 914, the best recent mid engined swap i had a ride in belongs to a friend of the nephews, its a mk1 toyota mr2 with a engine and gearbox from a mk2 turbo mr2, it has been tested at just shy of 400hp, does a 0-60 in 4.2 secs, all these swaps are BIVA free, i think the guy who runs rodsandsods and volkstorque websites is building a midengined v8 beetle.

topolino wrote:

You can't do a mid engined 'BIVA free' swap on a Beetle as you lose the points for the rear axle, suspension, transmission and engine taking you below the threashold.

I've spoken to 'Kapri' about it at length.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
topolino
12 years ago
yes kev rooney(kapri)will keep you right concerning biva build, he has put a couple of rods past the sva test(now biva), as it can be more difficult on one off builds compared to kitcar builds.
Last Triumph
12 years ago
With the passenger door all clean and protect5ed with the window winder mechanism rebuilt, I took the opportunity to do the same on the drivers side today, but remembered to take pics of the window winder part.

With the trim panel removed, I was pleased to see that is was just as original and rust free as the other side, complete with factory chalk markings.

UserPostedImage

After a quick wipe over with a rag, the door bottoms revealed themselves to be equally as perfect.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The metal channel on the bottom of the door glass has a channel in the reverse side of it where a roller wheel runs up and down as the regulator moves the window up and down.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

First job is to undo the four 10mm bolts that secure the regulator in place and withdraw it from the door. The roller wheel just pulls out of the end of the door class channel.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I love finding date stampings on components!

UserPostedImage

Like I said, my drivers window wasn't as bad as the passenger side and there was still a bit of dried and crusty grease on the roller wheel.

UserPostedImage

Which when cleaned up and lubricated should look like this.

UserPostedImage

After that picture was taken, I caked it in fresh grease and also cleaned out and re-greased the channel on the bottom of the glass.

UserPostedImage

As well as greasing the mechanisms, it is also a good idea to lubricate the window guise channels. The best stuff for this is silicone spray which lets the glass glide up and down with very little resistance.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Once all assembled, it works perfectly, silently and effortlessly - just like new. Before I put the door card back on, I flooded the door bottoms with sealing wax.

UserPostedImage

Just before I sign off, I did a little experiment last time I drove the car to see if it really was oil tight, so left some white gloss panels under the car for a few days. I rolled the car forwards today....

UserPostedImage

Nice.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
topolino
12 years ago
34 ford 3 window?
Last Triumph
12 years ago

34 ford 3 window?

topolino wrote:

Haha..... :thumbup:

Is nothing sacred any more! :rofl:

In a nut shell, I need another project and am slowly working my way through my ambition 'must own one day' cars.

Porsche - tick
Countach - tick
Corvettes - tick
Marcos - tick
All og Oval - tick
Split Bus..... not yet
Mid engined V8 1303 - not yet
Hot Rod... not yet

You can see where this is heading....

However - I have a single garage and one car always has to fund another one...

Dunno - every time I open the garage door I just smile and fall in love, but I've run out of things to do on it - it's finished.

Dunno. :unsure:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
TomF
12 years ago
If you're looking for things to do I'm sure many people would pay you to rebuild/build 30hp motors for them! It would seem sad if you sold it so soon!
69project
12 years ago
dont like to encourage but typing hotrod etc on ebay always brings up good stuff
Car less.....
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Just got back from Deva Dubs n' Rods and although it was a little wet on Sunday, it was a fantastic weekend.

As it turned out, my car was 54 for years old on Saturday and won his first of two trophies that weekend on his birthday - bless.

Car was yet again faultless and got me to and from the show without incident - often touching 70mph without trying. Such a little trooper!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I can supply...
PM me for details...
59 Ragtop
12 years ago
I've thought of a job that needs doing. Polish those trophies:lol: Congrats:thumbup:
Last Triumph
12 years ago

I've thought of a job that needs doing. Polish those trophies:lol: Congrats:thumbup:

59 Ragtop wrote:

Cheers - it was another ambition fulfilled.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Car now unfortunately sold.

The new owner has requested anonymity which I will respect, other than to say that it couldn't have gone to a better home.

I will sleep soundly knowing who and how it will be cared for.

Thanks everyone for your support from start to finish.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
vintagebug
12 years ago
Still in the UK?? :?:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Last Triumph
12 years ago

Still in the UK?? :?:

vintagebug wrote:

I made a promise not to reveal ANY details, so please don't be offended if I decline that info.

Cheers.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
vintagebug
12 years ago
No offence taken! :beer:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Last Triumph
12 years ago
Thanks everyone for your support throughout the project - I'll be back soon enough, fear not.

I'm happy for this thread to be locked and or archived now if that is considered the best way forward?

Take care,

Andy
I can supply...
PM me for details...
pre67vw
12 years ago
Locked by request of LT. If the new owner wants it opened again they can let me know.

Thanks for all the great info you've posted on the thread LT, I hope this doesn't mean we've seen the last of you.

:beer: :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW