gybemaster
12 years ago
My 56 Oval has some black and silver plates on it but ther aren't stock. What would have to stock front and rear number plates looked like on a 56 and what were they made up of?
(Pics would help me)

Anyone know where I can source a decent set at a fair price?

All I can seem to find out is plates took a standard size from 57 onwards so from that did it mean people could make number plates as they wish and designed as they wish prior to this year?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
gybemaster
12 years ago
Any ideas chaps?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

Any ideas chaps?

gybemaster wrote:

No, and those who might know are probably all in Germany at the moment. Someone will answer after the weekend I would think.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Si Med
12 years ago
My plates which i assumed were original, were black with triangular letters and numbers.
The numbers were so faded they could have been silver when first produced

54 UK rhd
gybemaster
12 years ago
I'm just curious as I want to get a nice set made but I am curious what colours like white or black were used and what shapes/sizes of plates were used in 56 so I can decide on a particular variant.
ianmac
12 years ago
Chris,

try here, I bought the correct plates for my 51 which had 3 1/2" raised white letters

https://pl8s.co.uk/Framptons-Pre-1963-Number-Plates.php 
Si Med
12 years ago
Mine were the same as the bottom set on ians link, only in white rather than silver.
54 UK rhd
gybemaster
12 years ago
Cheers guys...thats great!!! Don't suppose there was a specific colour used as in white or silver or is that sort of thing just down to personal preference?
ianmac
12 years ago
I've got white ones as I felt they were more correct... but i dont know if thats true :?
lucifar666
12 years ago
My UK '57' had triangulated raised plastic digits that had what looked like faded silver paint so I went with that.

Check the link
https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17578&p=1 
gybemaster
12 years ago
I wish I had some nice original digits like that bud, looks like its cleaned up nice to be fair!!! I just need to find out now what plate sizes front and rear + colours would have been really and go from there.
lucifar666
12 years ago
I thought that link had the finished plate on,
anyway it now looks like this

UserPostedImage
gybemaster
12 years ago
Wow, to be fair that is rather amazing!!!