pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
Car started up lovely, went for a little drive and it drove lovely too. Pulled in for a photo and it stalled, took a few photos - went to start it and it turned over really slowly as though the battery was flat. I left it 5 minutes and it started up lovely. Drove home, it stalled at a junction - again it wouldnt start as though the battery was flat, so I pushed it back out of the way and took a few more photos. Five minutes later, it started OK and I drove it home. Pulled into the drive and same thing again.

On the plus side it does seem to drive nicely when it's going! Really need to sort this, but I have no idea where to start. Any ideas?  UploadedFile0.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  UploadedFile1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
When you say it started ok after a rest did the starter turn over as normal and not sluggish as before? If so check the earth on the battery and on the car also check the posative leads as well. It sounds like a conection is coroderd and is getting hot thus giving you a high resistance and a lack of power. When it cools it gose back to its normal state and you are ok again (till it warms up again)its worth a look. It used to happen on old Minis alot ( But we dont talk about them :omg: ) Andy W
GKL 7
12 years ago
Have you replaced the coil Rob?
Had the exact symptons when i owned KET 691.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
Coil is good I think, replaced not so long ago.

Leads on the battery are tight, but they do seem to get hotter than I'd expect. When it won't start, it still turns over - just really slowly, wait 10 minutes and it's back to turning it over quickly. The car is 12v but still has the 6v starter, I did wonder if the starter was dieing. Would the connection problem cause the car to stall when it's hot? When it starts it idles nicely.can't help but think the two problems are linked.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Quite unlikely, but if it's nothing electrical it may be worth looking for. Maybe the fuel shut off valve in the carb is faulty, letting in fuel even when the float bowl is full. It would seem fine when using good amounts of fuel (ie, moving) but when idling it would spill over and stall. The fuel in the cylinders will give you super-duper compression, making it hard to turn over. give it a few minutes, and it'll have dispersed (maybe into your oil..) and all is good.

As I say, unlikely, but worth looking into.

I'd give all the connections from the battery to the starter/gearbox (earth strap) a good shine up, and see if that helps it. If that does then you still have an idling problem but that could just be adjustment or a bit-o-crap in the idle jet.
William
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Dose it stall all the time even from cold? if all the time and the electrical fuel cut off is working ok ( is that 12 volt????) the slow running jet may be blocked ( it will not tick over at all if thats the case) then you can crack the jet off half a turn and if she ticks over then the jet is the problem If the leads are tight remove cleen and refit were the leads are bolted to the starter remove and cleen were the earth lead blots to the chassis remove cleen With emery paper grease with vasaleen and refit you say the leads are getting warm sounds like you have a high resistance build up. Also the starter solanoid could be going out to lunch. I think you can fit a 12 volt solinoid to the 6 volt starter but from which year i am not sure. Andy W
54 Gertie
12 years ago

Dose it stall all the time even from cold? If the leads are tight remove cleen and refit were the leads are bolted to the starter remove and cleen were the earth lead blots to the chassis remove cleen With emery paper grease with vasaleen and refit you say the leads are getting warm sounds like you have a high resistance build up. Also the starter solanoid could be going out to lunch. I think you can fit a 12 volt solinoid to the 6 volt starter but from which year i am not sure

AW wrote:

I've ran a 6v started on 12v (solenoid 'n all) for about 17k miles and it's been grand. 🙂
William
69project
12 years ago
my 59 had a nasty habit of occasionally not starting after long or short stops,without us all stabbing in the dark mine turned out to be a faulty regulator and dizzy moving slightly
Car less.....
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Dose it stall all the time even from cold? if all the time and the electrical fuel cut off is working ok ( is that 12 volt????) the slow running jet may be blocked ( it will not tick over at all if thats the case) then you can crack the jet off half a turn and if she ticks over then the jet is the problem If the leads are tight remove cleen and refit were the leads are bolted to the starter remove and cleen were the earth lead blots to the chassis remove cleen With emery paper grease with vasaleen and refit you say the leads are getting warm sounds like you have a high resistance build up. Also the starter solanoid could be going out to lunch. I think you can fit a 12 volt solinoid to the 6 volt starter but from which year i am not sure. Andy W

AW wrote:

it starts up from cold and idles fine, no stalling - it feels absolutely lovely. After about 10 minutes of driving is when the problems start. Once it's stalled, it turns over on the starter but really slowly as though the battery is flat. Leave it about 10 minutes, it whizzes over again on the starter, fires up and idles perfectly again.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
64rotbox
12 years ago
Bad battery/earth connection, a tired starter motor in need of reconditioning or possibly a shot bellhousing starter bush. Can't think what else it could be.
You can call me Al.
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

a shot bellhousing starter bush.

64rotbox wrote:

X2

Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
GKL 7
12 years ago

Starter bush.

64rotbox wrote:

Would that cause stalling:?:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Nope. But maybe the two things are unrelated... who knows.

Bad connection somewhere sounds plausable, I'll probably start there and see what that does.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
64rotbox
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

No, but it would cause the starter to turn extremely slowly (or not at all) when everything's hot. The two problems may be related or they may not. Erm... yeah.
You can call me Al.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
Update: I think I may have solved it. It seems to have been basically a bad battery connection, not directly on the battery though (I had checked those) but I have a cut off switch and when I got under there to check battery voltage etc I noticed that it was red hot, one of the connections was not as good as it could have been. So sorted that out, tried it on the drive a few times - seems OK. It was a bit late for a test drive (not a fan of breaking down in the dark), so I'll have to take it for a spin another evening and really check it out, but fingers crossed!!

Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions, I didn't have a clue where to start looking really.

8)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Well done that man :thumbup: here's to many miles of Bug driving. Andy W