Rich Oakley
12 years ago
I've always fancied a British-supplied RHD Oval Cabrio. Trouble is, there are only 7 or 8 survivors on their original floorpans. I nearly bought one of them back in 2002 (a '55 Iris Blue model), but it needed heaps of work. I also contemplated buying the car Martin Fenner owns now, but that needed even more work.

Anyhow, my dream came true today when I became the forth owner of Sepia Silver '57 model. This car has been off the road since 1977 and only has 55,000 miles on the clock. It was originally supplied by VFM Motors in Crowborough, Sussex (it's a local car, and I love that!). The first owner kept the car for four years and part-exchanged it at a garage in Hove, Sussex. The new lady owner gave up driving in 1977 and the car was laid up until it sold to it's third owner in 1985. I'm the next owner.

I should hopefully have it back on the road very soon...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
12 years ago
Yes,but revealed on Vzi first.
:thumbdn: 😳 :thumbdn: 😳 :thumbdn: 😳
Bang out of order Oakley.

:rofl:
Congrats Rich:thumbup:
RockStock
12 years ago
congratulations Rich. what a cool car
StockRocks
Sunroof53
12 years ago
Very nice ,Congratulations :thumbup:
55Kab
12 years ago
That was a long wait... :wink:

Congratulations Rich, crusing next year eh... :beer:

Rich Oakley
12 years ago

That was a long wait... :wink:

Congratulations Rich, crusing next year eh... :beer:

55Kab wrote:

Crusing next week.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
What a difference 10 years makes. 1947 vs. 1957. VW made some serious improvements during that time...

UserPostedImage

Cabrio-only material..
UserPostedImage

original headlining...
UserPostedImage

Oval Cabrio RHD-only mirror and visors- perfect!
UserPostedImage

Cardboard covers in body colour..
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
RockStock
12 years ago
is it the original outer hood?
what a bonus that complete/original hood is

colours are cool
has it had an exterior repaint?

got the door panels?
carpet?

shot of the engine? guess a 57 doesnt have the 56 ribbed firewall

accessories, are they original to the car?
gearshift lock, indicator arm, dehne, radio, bud vase, others?
got holes for US spec bumpers?

does it have the rear gravel guards?
StockRocks
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
If it were anyone else Rich I'd say great find...but of course as it's you, you will have known about it for many years. In that case well done for sticking at it.:smile:

Looks like a great car.
John.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Nice Nice Nice :thumbup: Green with envy now :shock: Andy W
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

is it the original outer hood?
what a bonus that complete/original hood is

colours are cool
has it had an exterior repaint?

got the door panels?
carpet?

shot of the engine? guess a 57 doesnt have the 56 ribbed firewall

accessories, are they original to the car?
gearshift lock, indicator arm, dehne, radio, bud vase, others?
got holes for US spec bumpers?

does it have the rear gravel guards?

RockStock wrote:

The outer hood was replaced in 1986 as the original was shot. The car also received a respray at this time. There's no way the original metallic paint would have lasted all these years in good shape.

The engine (original) is out at the moment and was fully rebuilt in 1985 and never installed!! It's very nice.

Unfortunately, the front two door cards are missing- they went up in flames in 1986 when removed from the car. The rears are there. I need to try and match the cabrio-material and get some made.

All the accessories on it are original to the car (it was ordered with US-spec bumpers). I think you've listed them all Chris except the grab handle. It apparently didn't have gravel guards.

The firewall card should be the smooth one, not ribbed thankfully!
Hubcap
12 years ago
Glad you got it home safe and sound, looks stunning, congratulations.

look forward to seeing it on the road soon.

Will give you a call next week, the Towlers would love to accept a lift to the Ivan Hurst meeting!

Simon

PS whats in the garage?
pre67vw
12 years ago
Very nice Rich! Congratulations... :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
64rotbox
12 years ago

Unfortunately, the front two door cards are missing- they went up in flames in 1986 when removed from the car.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Some sort of bizarre anti-theft device? Sounds a bit extreme to me...

Very, very nice car indeed. No, 'course I'm not very jealous.

I'm insanely jealous.
You can call me Al.
bob-on
12 years ago
What a find! Stunning looking car and good that it's landed into the hands of someone that will truly appreciate it. :thumbup:

If ever you want to sell it I'll bite your hand off!!:drool:
oval56
12 years ago
congrats on this find :thumbup: :beer:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
chthemonkey
12 years ago
nice :thumbup: are you going to the ivan hurst meet look forward to seeing it:thumbup:
Ivan
12 years ago
I was just chatting on the blower with George Lloyd and he asked if I'd seen your new car Rich. I had seen the post with out pics or details, so when I clicked on and saw this I thought... AWESOME! Congrats mate - you found the ultimate UK VW there. And... You deserve it!
Lovely, lovely car.

I can't wait to see it.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

nice :thumbup: are you going to the ivan hurst meet look forward to seeing it:thumbup:

chthemonkey wrote:

Cheers. I will be at the Ivan Hirst meeting, but in the '47 not the Cabrio.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I was just chatting on the blower with George Lloyd and he asked if I'd seen your new car Rich. I had seen the post with out pics or details, so when I clicked on and saw this I thought... AWESOME! Congrats mate - you found the ultimate UK VW there. And... You deserve it!
Lovely, lovely car.

I can't wait to see it.

Ivan wrote:

Thanks mate. If you're ever at Heritage, give me a bell, I'm only 2 minutes up the road.