59 Ragtop
12 years ago

Thats good to know. Lovely looking car that.
59 Ragtop
12 years ago

Was a tad young for the discos when i used to go. Can remember camping with the ssvc in the early days, can remember thinking as a kid that i was amazed that there were so many different styles of cars, but still all vws:smile: Oh and the grand parade was great too. Also loved the early bug ins at malvern, before it became bvf...
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
OK, hopefully it'll upload this time:

Action '81 I think...  94 AXU reduced res.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
12 years ago
Interesting too see how Ovals were of low regard in those early days, with them being battered about and driven through the mud at the early VW events. Advert in an old (1977) Exchange and Mart of Dad's has a 1954 Beetle for sale with a year's test at £170, another a 1957 for a whopping £190!

As for Splits, they really did seem to be like hen's teeth here in England. Up until going along with Dad to an early VW Action in 1977, I'd nether seen another since seeing 10 BXK years earlier. But I'm sure on the continent you could have picked one up for a few hundred pounds.

If one was to have a UK history VW museum, three must haves would surely be JLT 420, 10 BXK and MRT 308. I think that all three still reside in the UK, which is an achievement in itself.:thumbup:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

Interesting too see how Ovals were of low regard in those early days, with them being battered about and driven through the mud at the early VW events. Advert in an old (1977) Exchange and Mart of Dad's has a 1954 Beetle for sale with a year's test at £170, another a 1957 for a whopping £190!

As for Splits, they really did seem to be like hen's teeth here in England. Up until going along with Dad to an early VW Action in 1977, I'd nether seen another since seeing 10 BXK years earlier. But I'm sure on the continent you could have picked one up for a few hundred pounds.

If one was to have a UK history VW museum, three must haves would surely be JLT 420, 10 BXK and MRT 308. I think that all three still reside in the UK, which is an achievement in itself.:thumbup:

Old Blue wrote:

For me the internet has made the world a much smaller place. Being away from the VW circuit for some time i was amased at how many L-H-D cars are at the shows now in the U/K.

As Old Blue says above about Ovals were of low regard. Yes i can remember seeing poor examples of them and am guilty of such a crime myself. But as for the splits am i right in thinking that thay would have been all private imports?????? A lot harder back then for the common man to do than today.

In post number 10 by rudolf hucker is the green 1303 cabro that of Master class winner Jack Sanor of the oval in North Anston ?????

Andy W
Old Blue
12 years ago

As Old Blue says above about Ovals were of low regard. Yes i can remember seeing poor examples of them and am guilty of such a crime myself. But as for the splits am i right in thinking that thay would have been all private imports?????? A lot harder back then for the common man to do than today.

Andy W

AW wrote:

MRT 308 a 1952 Beetle was claimed to be the first VW built for the UK, it is right hand drive and came here brand new apparently.

JLT 420 a 1947 Beetle and left hand drive was a private import, but the first Beetle to be sold in the UK.

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Guilty as charged sir I did many miles in this car and to be honest had the most fun with her over the years. Sat on a 1500 pan this car was number one or two for Guilders of Sheffield.

At the time i did not know or she would have had a better life with me :cry: She was going to be put back to as origional as i could get her but some one made me an offer and so i sold her.

( and thay say the rat look is new ?????? Photos are about 87? at Action   bug.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.   bug1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
AW The green cabrio could well be Jack Sanors car. It was a regular at Stanford Hall. If it was his car he would not have been pleased to see the mud as the car was VERY clean.

59 Ragtop. There was an early Bug In at Castle Ashby.  old vw pics 2 018.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
59 Ragtop
12 years ago
Wasnt aware of that. Got any pics Rudy?

Tom
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Before Stanford hall started with event plaques there was a trader selling a plaque and you could have what you wanted on them. These are two i had done to remember the event.

Andy W  stnf h.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Old Blue
12 years ago

Guilty as charged sir I did many miles in this car and to be honest had the most fun with her over the years. Sat on a 1500 pan this car was number one or two for Guilders of Sheffield.

At the time i did not know or she would have had a better life with me :cry: She was going to be put back to as origional as i could get her but some one made me an offer and so i sold her.

( and thay say the rat look is new ?????? Photos are about 87? at Action

AW wrote:

Shocking way to treat an old lady - but you forgot to finish the job and lower it into the weeds. What's with the 1964 registration, didn't think the 1500 was around then :?

rudolf hucker
12 years ago
59 Ragtop.......i do have some photos of Castle Ashby...mainly custom/modified though and all are slides. The photos I am posting now are all digi photos of old prints, hence the quality.

AW There were event plaques before 1982...see below. Some of the ones you have were given to the concorse entrants and had the car reg on them. Stanford Hall also produced a Split Beetle model with Stanford Hall 85 on the side.  old vw pics 2 016.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  old vw pics 2 017.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Thats right old blue she had a three way split personality :d :d

Andy W
Mike Peckham
12 years ago

59 Ragtop.......i do have some photos of Castle Ashby...mainly custom/modified though and all are slides. The photos I am posting now are all digi photos of old prints, hence the quality.

rudolf hucker wrote:

I’d be interested in seeing any of the photos you took at Castle Ashby. I was there in my 71 1200 Beetle. It was a comparatively local show as I was living in Bedford at the time. It was memorable for me in that a friend had borrowed my beetle a few days before and broken the lock on the petrol filler cap when he went to put some petrol in it. He couldn’t find the remote pull under the dash and forced the flap open with a screwdriver!

I picked up a second hand one from Bug In, so it was worth the trip.

I don’t remember much about the cars but one Split Screen Camper Van stands out in my mind, it was in the car park with a For Sale sign in the window. It had been driven to the UK from South Africa by it’s original owner and was in incredibly sound condition. I wasn’t in a position to buy it but drooled over it for a while.

Mike :thumbup:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Mike

The pictures I have are all slides. I do have a slide copier which I have borrowed but have not used yet (bit of a technodunce). Watch this space.

I remember it was very hot and the afternoon broke with a thunderstorm.

Rudy
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
AW

Your car had a three way OVAL personality surely?:wink:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

AW

Your car had a three way OVAL personality surely?:wink:

rudolf hucker wrote:

:thumbup:

Andy W
GKL 7
12 years ago

There was an early Bug In at Castle Ashby.

rudolf hucker wrote:

That was one of the hottest days in the UK i can remember.
I don't know Rudy,all these years we've been walking around ignoring each other:wink: To speak only last B.C, MAD.
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
I must be getting careless in my old age. I usually ignore everyone.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Taken at Action many years ago Any one know the car or where it is now ???????????

Andy W  bug3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  bug4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.