toomanydubs
12 years ago
Help ! sometime this year i need to decide on choosing a new roof for the '69 cab.
Some of you may know me as Russ with the brown labrador and tatty yellow cabrio i've had for 22 years now. Well its been off the road for the last 3 years and is midway through a full body off -16 new panel- nut and bolt ground up rebuild. New top new bumpers new interior NEW ROOF new wiring loom new chrome . Most of this is being tackled by best mate and local car club member who has not worked on a Ghia before although stuff like interior trimming will be subbed out to professional coachtrimmers.
I'd like to know if anyone can advise me on which roof covering is most suitable , which are nightmares to fit, and any good or bad experiences you've had with ready made verus one off custom fit covers made by a trimmer.
I do prefer the vinyl acetate rear window rather than glass as i don't have the brackets for glass and you can carry more stuff with the roof down . The present roof is a black vinyl one which i quite like as it is easy to maintain , though i was considering a medium to dark grey one and do rather like the woven fabric ones. I do think the mohair ones look a tad bulky , any help would be much appreciated.
Russ. [email protected] or reply on here cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
12 years ago

Help ! sometime this year i need to decide on choosing a new roof for the '69 cab.
Some of you may know me as Russ with the brown labrador and tatty yellow cabrio i've had for 22 years now. Well its been off the road for the last 3 years and is midway through a full body off -16 new panel- nut and bolt ground up rebuild. New top new bumpers new interior NEW ROOF new wiring loom new chrome . Most of this is being tackled by best mate and local car club member who has not worked on a Ghia before although stuff like interior trimming will be subbed out to professional coachtrimmers.
I'd like to know if anyone can advise me on which roof covering is most suitable , which are nightmares to fit, and any good or bad experiences you've had with ready made verus one off custom fit covers made by a trimmer.
I do prefer the vinyl acetate rear window rather than glass as i don't have the brackets for glass and you can carry more stuff with the roof down . The present roof is a black vinyl one which i quite like as it is easy to maintain , though i was considering a medium to dark grey one and do rather like the woven fabric ones. I do think the mohair ones look a tad bulky , any help would be much appreciated.
Russ. [email protected] or reply on here cheers

toomanydubs wrote:

Kind of sounds like you've made your mind up already... a vinyl top with plastic rear window...

I can't really comment much, I personally prefer the mohair tops - I think they just look better quality, which is probably why if you buy a new Porsche or Audi they don't come with a vinyl roof. I think that unless you have something very rare/odd then most trimmers with still buy a pre-made top rather than make it all from scratch, but they know what they're doing when fitting it so the end result is good.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389729 

This is how the Ghia professionals do it and although it's a '70 with a glass rear window most illustrations and text descriptions will apply to your '69 too.

Vince (ghiaddict) is always available to answer questions.
John.
GKL 7
12 years ago
IMHO Mohair is the way to go.Makes a car look far better than Plastic.

If you need a good man to do a Ghia roof in mohair PM me,you won't be dissapointed.

But it does cost a great deal more than vinyl.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I always thorght it was a material called dubble Duck that was used on convertable hoods ????

Andy w
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

I always thorght it was a material called dubble Duck that was used on convertable hoods ????

Andy w

AW wrote:

The hood fitting in the Samba link I provided used a Sewfine canvas hood.
John.
GKL 7
12 years ago

Andy w

AW wrote:

Sonnenland Mohair on early cabrios.
Doesn't sound very German double duck:wink:
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

IMHO Mohair is the way to go.Makes a car look far better than Plastic.

If you need a good man to do a Ghia roof in mohair PM me,you won't be dissapointed.

But it does cost a great deal more than vinyl.

GKL 7 wrote:

George, it looks like Steve may be giving up. I need to call him this week about the hood on my cabrio, but he has been very unwell of late.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.