interflare
11 years ago
Hi guys,

The gearbox in our '58 appears to be leaking a fair bit of oil, I haven't had chance to take a proper look yet but it appears to be leaking from the split in the case.

What are the most common areas that these gearboxes leak from. If it's leaking from the split in the case will it need to be rebuilt or can I simply split it an reseal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
George
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
George, they can leak a bit from the drain plugs. Might be worth removing these cleaning up the threads and re-fit. If it's coming from the side of the box and dripping down, the obvious candidates are the axle gaiters the side plates. Failing that, have a word with Peter at Cogbox- he has a wealth of experience with split case boxes 0208 842 2580.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
ianmac
11 years ago
they can leak from around where the gearshift rod protrudes through the nose cone, late model gearboxes had a seal, I had my 25hp nose cone machine to take a late model seal which cured the problem,