alexandersarah
11 years ago
Hi:

I want to do a full paint job on my car (53 Zwitter) and im cosidering to sand blast the car myself before taking it to the painter, but i dont know what kind of sand blaster to buy in order to get the job done. Any suggestions?  zw 001.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
11 years ago
Hi there, I can only give you this advice. Do not sandblast the complete car.
Only the sills and edges where there is some rust. The seams on the raingutter and front pillars but no complete panels. Sand them down . The risk on warping a panel due to heat build up is accurate if you give to much pressure.
You will need a large compressor. the best thing is to hire a rootstype with fuel engine like road workers use. Lot's of air and low pressure. 6 bar will do the job.

About the sandblasting tool. You will find several makes and types. I can not give you advise on that. It all depend on the amount of money. Maybe there is a sandblasting service in your area that alow you to do the job by yourself. If you use a small compressor and small sandblasting device...It will take ages.

Keep us updated. :thumbup:

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Dont do it if you media blast the car the heat buildup can and will warp the pannels and makes it more work :omg: :omg: having to put filler in straighten it up. Chemical stripping or sanding may take longer but in the long run alot better method. I know some one who did this and you felt seasick looking at the body shell.

Andy W
Old Blue
11 years ago
The one good thing about sandblasting is that it gives a really good spotless 'keyed' suface for the primer to adhere to. But yes, the down side is panel warping. If you want to go down the route of doing the whole body then leave it to an expert. But even then its trusting someone with your most prized possession.:wink:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Thats what we did we sent a 1955 Plymouth shell to a so called expert and it was kipperd when it came back :thumbdn:. Also the steel on the old Yank tank was a lot thicker than on an old Beetle.

Andy W
Lost64
11 years ago
I had the chassis from my '57 Oval blasted, and the firm concerned damaged it, not by the blasting process, by by carelss handling.
I had both the chassis and the car body blasted again, but we used recycled glass as a medium. This is much less harmful than sand and/or grit blasting in as much as there isn't the same heat build up. The glass can be reused, and it comes out finer each time. Bizarre as it seems, it works better once it's been used once, as it seems to cut through the old paint better.If there's any filler under the old paint, you'll need to concentrate on that area for longer.

If you are still going to do this yourself, my tips would be:

1)Start with a piece of scrap metal and work at it until you get the hang of the process.
2)Stand well back from the car, and work the blasting nozzle in a circular motion, so that you're not concentrating on the one small area. If you feel you're not removing enough paint/rust, take a step closer to the car, but move carefully.
3)Work round the edges of the panels first, only moving to the central, unstressed areas once you're sure of what you're doing.
4)Use a lower pressure until you see how it's going.
5)Stop regularly to check your work, and get some fresh air.
6)Take your time!
7)Clean all the media out with compressed air, and etch prime the job asap after it's done.

If you're in any doubt, find someone reputable, but ask lots of questions. Have they experience of blasting car bodies, what media do they use, can they use a media that's less harmful. What type of primer will they put on after blasting?
It might also be a good idea to actually be there while the work is done.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted!

Gavin.
51reutter
11 years ago
Hi there and congrats on the Zwitter :thumbup:

If I lived in the UK, I would never sandblast a car again... I would go to Surface Processing Ltd , for me it is the best way to get to those places where no sandblast can get, and a lot of work saved both in time and money...
When I finally find a '54/55 beetle to restore I will, for sure, drive to the UK with my trailer 8)

Cheers

João Alves
Instagram | @early_type
11 years ago
The problem with dipping a shell is that it gets into all the seams.... sounds good doesnt it?

Well my my friends Beetle was dipped and coated... and is slowly rusting from the inside of all the sealed up parts... he has to polish off the brown streaks from areas like his gutters... car is slowly rotting from the inside. He spent many thousands rebuilding it... he is gutted. :(

Atleast blasting is a dry process. Even though it doesnt bare metal the hidden bits.

Be careful.
www.vwoval.co.uk