RoRoVw
10 years ago
The Zwitter with the registration number, LHV 763 will be part of the 'Inner Circle' display next Sunday at Stanford Hall and will also be part of the Historic VW Club's 1953 Display at the NEC in November.

Cheers,
Rob.
Rod_vw
10 years ago
Just to throw another pebble into the pond...

In the very early 70s MRT was displayed at Stafford in a Volkswagen Convention. In those days we owned a 1968 Beetle, seeing MRT and talking to its than owner sparked an interest in early VWs. From there we found and bought TJJ 62 (1949 1-101991) and then promoted and began what in later days became the Historic Volkswagen Club.

MRT may or may not be the first.... but there is no doubt it has got a lot to answer for!

So I add my thanks to Maurice for that conversation in the early 70s.

Rod
Rattletrap
10 years ago

In the very early 70s MRT was displayed at Stafford in a Volkswagen Convention. In those days we owned a 1968 Beetle, seeing MRT and talking to its than owner sparked an interest in early VWs. From there we found and bought TJJ 62 (1949 1-101991) and then promoted and began what in later days became the Historic Volkswagen Club.

MRT may or may not be the first.... but there is no doubt it has got a lot to answer for!

Rod

Rod_vw wrote:

Around the mid 1970's I was beginning to take an interest in early cars (that is 1940s-1950s vehicles). Although too young to drive, I hated the 60s-70s monocoque square tin and glass boxes that were everywhere. I'd always liked the Beetle's rounded shape, though thought that of the Morris Minor to be unattractive. The Beetle had nicely 'penned' curves to my artistic eye.

I first saw a proper early Beetle in 1977 during the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in central London. It drove by just before the road was closed for the Queen to pass. It was a black split-window - I loved it and that was it for me, a must have. This car as it turned out was Tony Levy driving Rattletrap around past the crowds waiting for the Queen. The reg number 10BXK was so easy to remember. So Rattletrap sowed the seed in my head, though I never thought I'd actually own it one day, Tony was clear he'd never sell it.

MRT was to become one of the cars to further turn the dream into reality, after some effort and persuation Maurice Goldsmith sold me the car. By then I'd already acquired 349 GMO which I still have, but getting a right-hooker! I believe that it was Rod that mentioned this RHD split to me over the phone when I called him regarding my acquisition of GMO. I then drove over to Mutford in Suffolk to see MRT.

So thanks to Tony and Rattletrap, thanks to Rod. I enjoyed MRT for 5 years and attended around 40 vintage and VW shows with it.:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
59 Ragtop
10 years ago

Spot on there. Unique styling, great to drive,nothing beats an early vw.Sums it up really:thumbup:
kevsplitty
10 years ago

Rod

Rod_vw wrote:

Thanks Rod,i'll let dad know:d That car is also the reason im into old vdubs too,plus my dad also:wink:
Rattletrap
10 years ago
As a past owner of MRT, and the present owner of Rattletrap, I have been asked, and often considered the question myself; Which of the two have been most significant to the development of the vintage VW movement in the UK?

I have a great affection for both cars, both mean a lot to me, Rattletrap providing the kindling and MRT putting the spark to the flame.

It was I that searched out MRT's fascinating history, finding documents and photos from as far as Canada. It was Tony Levy though, that created the Rattletrap legend and myth that received so much media publicity promoting interest in old Beetles around the UK.

I'd love to say that it is MRT, and partly me, being that I was responsible in finding and promoting the car's history, taking it to so many non-VW shows around England in the five years I owned it. But I can't. Tony took his car just about everywhere in the UK to show it off, and abroad too. He had a huge appetite for publicity, the heavy file I have with the car shows that. He even got it to the opening of the M1, being among the first private cars to drive on it, then there was parading it along part of the Silver Jubilee route in 1977, where I first saw it - in fact my first sighting of a proper early Beetle, I'd never seen a split window before.

So I think it has to be Rattletrap, and so thank you to Tony.:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Old Blue
10 years ago
Rattletrap is the one. It was in the papers before there were any UK vintage VW shows. Was never aware of MRT in those early days, and anyway, there were a few other private import split windows, some before MRT. Colboure Garages had a few, then theres the RHD one LHV763 mentioned on this thread.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Rattletrap is the one. It was in the papers before there were any UK vintage VW shows. Was never aware of MRT in those early days, and anyway, there were a few other private import split windows, some before MRT. Colboure Garages had a few, then theres the RHD one LHV763 mentioned on this thread.

Old Blue wrote:

Rattletrap certainly is an historic UK car Old Blue. But MRT is more than just another private import. Unlike the usual private imports, MRT was destined for the UK while being built at the VW factory. And of course was right hand drive, unlike Colbourne's used early Beetle imports that were left hand drive.
Rattletrap
7 years ago
MRT 308 is showing up on the DVLA tax check site as just having been taxed.

I thought the car was in Northern Ireland. Unless I am mistaken, the DVLA site does not cover Northern Ireland. Does this mean MRT is back in Great Britain, if so, who has it:?:
1974dudley
7 years ago
Fred must be going to take it out for a spin, it's still here in NI but he mostly drives the 49. NI car taxation is controlled by Swansea now. Must take LSJ 299 for a quick photo with MRT