Kaizen
9 years ago
Hi everyone, I have a 30hp 1960 beetle, the 6 volt dynamo generator has give up the ghost, I have found a new Bosch unit, I have removed the engine and have taken out the old dynamo, what is the best way to remove the cooler fan without damaging it?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a 30hp 1960 beetle, the 6 volt dynamo generator has give up the ghost, I have found a new Bosch unit, I have removed the engine and have taken out the old dynamo, what is the best way to remove the cooler fan without damaging it?

Originally Posted by: Kaizen 

Don't try poking things through the blades to hold the fan still whilst you un-do the 36mm fan nut- you'll wreck the blades. You need to lock up the pulley end of the generator, maybe in a vice of something using the back half of the pulley, with the weight of the generator supported. You can then un-do the big fan nut.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
9 years ago
The easiest way I've found is to use a decent air gun - you don't even need to clamp the front pulley in a vice.. so even less chance of damage. :smile:
www.vwoval.co.uk