mmayson
16 years ago
Now I know why my oval has a square window,,,,,watch this :lol:

Michael Mayson
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Volumex
16 years ago
Good find, but I though there were a few more changes between the 57 & 58. Door striker plates & brakes as well?
Simon
56 + 58 Bug
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
everyone is always banging on about the rear window getting bigger, the windscreen also got loads bigger for 58 & the new style dash also came in.
harveypj
16 years ago
Rear window was increased by 95%, and as pointed out the windscreen was also enlarged- by 17%. This ment the sun visors had to change shape, requiring a curve to the top edge.
Dash (already mentioned)
Other major change was the change from 'full' to 'faided 'w' deck lid.
Stock......the new custom
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
re that clip above, the italian designer who said the rear window should be enlarged was an idiot, the larger rear & front windows ruined the car imho.
harveypj
16 years ago
Ca'nt say I agree it ruined the car.
Yes, 50 years on looking back the change did make the car less asthetically pleasing, I do'nt think anyone would denythat You have to put your self back to 1958 when then the change was regarded as an improvement as it does improve outward vision so makes for easier and safer manoovering. It had to be done to keep up with other manufacuers advances.
If Volkswagen only ever made split windowed beetles the product would never have remained marketable for as long as it did and would have died out in the 50's.

Stock......the new custom
Standard split
16 years ago
I think that the back of the early rectangular rear window Beetle actually looks better than the rear of the oval. I love the look of the back of my '58. The oval was not really necessary. The shape and size of the split window was determined by how big VW could go using flat glass within the Beetle's curvy shape. This is also why the window was split down the middle of course.

Once curved glass was introduced (oval window), the size was not so restricted. Therefore the oval was not necessary. The rectangular window could have come straight in. I think the early rectangular rear window was designed in rather well and to a sensible area. However, I cannot say the same for the windscreen. From August '57 the appearance of the front of the car's roof curve was ruined by the larger windscreen.

The Beetle's appearance 1965 on with all bigger windows – no comment :!:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378