pre67vw
16 years ago

It was the 'knackered' that offended me.

"streetwagens" wrote:

I apologize for using this word in this generic context, I understand that you've put a lot of time and effort into your bus (I loved the tyres by the way and it was great to see that it wasn't lowered).

For me, OG paint is great if its in good condition, once the rust starts breaking through then I'm more in favour of new paint. Not saying I'm right, just my opinion. From what I can see, most of the European cars had either OG paint or Shiny - it's the English that seem to hold the rat-look flag the highest and this also sometimes seems to spill over to their lifestyle

UserPostedImage

I was around to see the disgraceful behaviour in the parking lot by these guys. When they left their rubbish behind a group of Germans passed, looking at the chair & empty cans, commenting that it was typical of Brits!

"lou cypher" wrote:

For me, these are the people who should go to Bug Jam and take their knackered bus with them. Sorry if that offends you.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
streetwagens
16 years ago
I'll be at Bug Jam, but for the racing, though not in my bus. Shame it clashes with Peppercorn.

Land rover tyres, £35 each. Bargain. 😎
I apologise unreservedly for my vehicle... Wheres the crusher?
pre67vw
16 years ago

Hi,
thanks for the nice words - you are right - in a lot of the things you write and that will be our problem.
We are a meeting that is for stock cars - but we cannot prove befor we see the car in person how is it ( orginal or not )
Our team did a good job the last time by putting up the cars and so they will 2009.
We will not allow some guys to ruin the atmospare we had last time just because they want to become quick famous !.
Bye Christian

"fantakid" wrote:

So, The AwefΓΌlHeb - in the Heb line up or in the custom street? :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
brille52
16 years ago
Just let me tell you : I see it from the "Italian" point of view :wink: : the fellows from the UK are exactly the same as everybody else present at Bad Camberg : there is absolutely no reason to put "you" down or feel ashamed !!!??? For what ? For the behaviour of some "drunken" guys ? Black sheeps are everywhere....For your cars? If everybody would "think it" the same way, how boring it would be at the end.....

I had a great time at Bad Camberg ! Ok, Hessisch is fascinating in another way, but you can`t compare it : just the location beats Camberg at the first strike ! But if I look back at the whole weekend, I would do it again without question !!
There are so many things that I would like to say, but believe me,here comes the problem with the language: yeah,school-time is long,long gone!

It was great to meet a lot of you! And you all looked the same as 4 years ago !! πŸ˜ƒ :wink: The VW`s keeps us young !!!! :wink:
Without you people from the UK,Bad Camberg would not be the great event for us from the other countries : THAT`S FOR SURE !
Lavenham: let`s hope to be there in 2008 !!

andreas 😎
brille52
16 years ago
Great memories :!: :lol:
Fuel station in Bad Camber :!:

andreas 😎  10390.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago

Just let me tell you : I see it from the "Italian" point of view :wink: : the fellows from the UK are exactly the same as everybody else present at Bad Camberg : there is absolutely no reason to put "you" down or feel ashamed !!!??? For what ? For the behaviour of some "drunken" guys ? Black sheeps are everywhere....For your cars? If everybody would "think it" the same way, how boring it would be at the end.....

"brille52" wrote:

I agree, it was never my point to put down the Brits, I have many, many british VW friends who would never dream of behaving in this manner. They are some of 'The best'.

My point was that it only takes a few fools to spoil it for the true VW fans. these guys were asked to leave the camping in Limburg after the first night, then went on to drunken behavour at BC. 😞
Maybe it was alittle too much for them, I guess it was there first BC as they seem too young to have attended before.

The word is that they are still floating around here in Europe to attend Bug In this weekend. Or maybe they are in hopsital now with alcohol poisoning. :wink:

This behaviour has never been seen at HO and I hope it never will, I'm sure Christian & Co. will not stand for this!

I guess they have their 15mins of fame now! :wink:

356boy
16 years ago

Just let me tell you : I see it from the "Italian" point of view : the fellows from the UK are exactly the same as everybody else present at Bad Camberg : there is absolutely no reason to put "you" down or feel ashamed !!!??? For what ? For the behaviour of some "drunken" guys ? Black sheeps are everywhere....For your cars? If everybody would "think it" the same way, how boring it would be at the end..

this was my first camberg and i loved it, even the wife did :lol: now that is a suprise, we met many very nice people.
and the kebabs were good, :? so i'm told :roll:
mrsherbie
16 years ago

I thought that it might be interesting for some people to see one of only 2 surviving OG paint special order Olive Drab (726) barndoors known to exist in the world. And suprisingly I was right, people were interested. It was excellent for the people that dragged it out of the forest in 1994 to see the bus driving

"streetwagens" wrote:

It WAS fantastic to see this bus! I have never met you, but I wanted to shake your hand! Virtually every olive drab splitbus gets painted over 😢 I remember seeing this bus when it first arrived, and It was such a serious project I remember running away in fear! :shock:
That original to date correct Swedish trellised pattern aluminium rear number plate is a rare and joyful sight! You are being humble, you have done far more to restore it than most shiny vw's ever need. Ditto the Wisk bus.
Landy tires rock! :D

I am part of the confused generation in the uk scene.

The vintage side; I love stock height being retained, but the cars nearly always get 'fully restored'.

The OG side; original paint is always king, if your vw has any left (mine didnt 😞 ) But this is the ratty usually modified side of the scene that stockers dislike so much.
There are so few buyers looking for an original 'patina' ( I feel a slap approaching from Rob :lol: ) vw, who wish to keep the car stock height, that we find ourselves looking to the Restocal & OG bus guys as buyers who will not over-restore what we value as a vehicle with 'special paint'.

That old story of 'once the original paint is gone, its gone forever' applies.

But then, I see Arrons brown samba and Deano's RHD DD BD both also only just finished in time for Camberg! and I am gobsmacked at the full restorations, given what they both started with :shock:

I think without seeing 'the before pics' sometimes we judge very unfairly. I know I do.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
lou cypher
16 years ago

i'll be going to HO but in a modified vw :twisted:

"356boy" wrote:

why not take the 356, you could park between these beauties, last seen at the 2001 HO.

Will they still be allowed? does a 904 or Carrera class as modified? :?

sorry 904 on next page :wink:  10395.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
16 years ago

[quote="356boy"]i'll be going to HO but in a modified vw :twisted:

"lou cypher" wrote:

here's the 904 from HO 2001. if modified VW's are allowed, then this HAS to be allowed, IT'S THE KING! :twisted:
unless of course you are going to turn up in a 917 long tail with SMcQ driving. Now that would be something :lol:  10396.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
16 years ago

There are so few buyers looking for an original 'patina' ( I feel a slap approaching from Rob :lol: ) vw, who wish to keep the car stock height, that we find ourselves looking to the Restocal & OG bus guys as buyers who will not over-restore what we value as a vehicle with 'special paint'.

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Hmm, I'd say the Restocal guys have their fair share of over-restored VW's.

'Patina' and rust are two completely seperate things to me, patina is the result of time and use - rust is the process of your vehicle returning to the earth.

Shiny paint is not a crime :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
I would say the contrary. People crave patina and prices reflect this: you often see Splits and Ovals advertised, mentioning how incredible it is that they are still in first paint.
The superb middle blue Standard Oval in Bad Camberg attracted such a crowd because it had never been repainted. The same went for the one-owner from new Standard grey Oval parked at the entrance. πŸ˜ƒ
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

I would say the contrary. People crave patina and prices reflect this: you often see Splits and Ovals advertised, mentioning how incredible it is that they are still in first paint.
The superb middle blue Standard Oval in Bad Camberg attracted such a crowd because it had never been repainted. The same went for the one-owner from new Standard grey Oval parked at the entrance. πŸ˜ƒ

"48REME" wrote:

True, but like Rob said, how far do you let it go? "My car looks like a complete wreck, but by God its still original"?
There is also the possibility to touch in paintwork, where the car was repaired, as per the back from the dead Samba.

I think the green splitty was the only bus I photgrahed, for some reason. Its seemed to give the impression that it was a work in progress and would be a bit more finished off in future. I don't know.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Two years and 7000km after restoration Romy starts showing some beginning of patina and I love it ! So: restore if you have to but then make your own patina ! Build your own story !

"Beeskow54" wrote:

Amen to that!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
streetwagens
16 years ago

It WAS fantastic to see this bus! I have never met you, but I wanted to shake your hand! ! You are being humble, you have done far more to restore it than most shiny vw's ever need. Ditto the Wisk bus.
Landy tires rock! :D

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Thank you! 😎 I think you almost met me when I was chatting to Owen at your car, and I think I have almost met you a few years ago when picking up a bus from your place. :wink:

The bus is a work in progress, what you saw was all I had time to do before the show. i work away from home each week, so time to work on v-dubs is a little short. I still have metalwork ready to go on back at home, but now the bus is kept 95 miles away from my workshop - another problem!! Also its too tall to get it into a standard garage, so Im looking for storage for it near Bath while it sits in the driveway in front of a standard garage!! :roll: :lol:

mrsherbie - the plate on the back is a part of the bus's history, thays why I put the UK plate on the roofrack. Hopefully the police in the UK wont make me take it off as its not classed as a legal plate anywhere now, and is not lit, so fingers crossed. A brief snapshot history - It was used by the Department for Road Works in Northern Sweden, then scrapped in '61, bought by a farmer, used in the fields, then the doors were welded shut, rear drums welded solid, and a hole punched throught the front to insert a drawbar. It was then dragged up into the mountains by a snowtrac and pushed down into the forest where it was used as a hunting lodge. In 1994 it was rescued by a Swedish collector and placed under cover. At the time it was considered a parts bus, nobody thought it was of any use. Luckily, some people thought differently. In 2002 it came to the UK, and then I bought it, and finally started working on it last November. Now she drives. :wink:

356boy
16 years ago

"lou cypher" wrote:

here's the 904 from HO 2001. if modified VW's are allowed, then this HAS to be allowed, IT'S THE KING! :twisted:
unless of course you are going to turn up in a 917 long tail with SMcQ driving. Now that would be something :lol:

"lou cypher" wrote:

aarrgh!!! i think i'm going into overload :oops: :lol:
streetwagens
16 years ago

"356boy" wrote:

unless of course you are going to turn up in a 917 long tail with SMcQ driving. Now that would be something :lol:

"lou cypher" wrote:

aarrgh!!! i think i'm going into overload :oops: :lol:

"lou cypher" wrote:

you pork boys should have been in the Le Mans Classic last year - all the above racing flat out - pure unadulterated raw power being thrown around the track! 😎
lou cypher
16 years ago

you pork boys should have been in the Le Mans Classic last year - all the above racing flat out - pure unadulterated raw power being thrown around the track! 😎

"streetwagens" wrote:

We were, we are and we do! we are also splitwindow beetle boys :lol:

The point was that will these cars be allowed back to HO in 2009, back in 2001 when this photo was taken, they were parked next to the Grundmann's D&S (see pic) which was in the 'special bodies' display.

if they are, then will the 'modified boys/girls demand entry?

For me the porsche's should be allowed and the modified not! :twisted:

That's only my view and not everyone will agree, but you can't please all the people all the time. :cry:

someone has to be the big bad wolf and decide who is allowed and who not!

I don't envy the HO team, they have one hell of a job.

10408.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
brille52
16 years ago
...every time I read " lou cypher ", I have a strange feeling..... :shock: :oops: :wink:

andreas 😎
lou cypher
16 years ago

...every time I read " lou cypher ", I have a strange feeling..... :shock: :oops: :wink:

andreas 😎

"brille52" wrote:

You heard "The devil wears prada"

but I bet you didn't know "The devil drives Aircooled" :wink: :wink: