nev
  • nev
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I've heard records exist of hebmuller body numbers against the chassis number, does anyone know if the same info exists for the early karmanns ?, the body number is missing on my July 52 Karmann, can anyone help me or is the number gone forever ?

Many thanks
Kevin
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I'm not at all sure that Karmann body numbers have the same sort of meaning as Hebmüller ones. I'm pretty sure they were just to say which doors went with which body on the production line - not denoting how many had been built until that point.

Of course for an early car like yours - it could be different.

Is your car in pieces? Are there numbers stamped on the doors?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago

I'm not at all sure that Karmann body numbers have the same sort of meaning as Hebmüller ones. I'm pretty sure they were just to say which doors went with which body on the production line - not denoting how many had been built until that point.

Of course for an early car like yours - it could be different.

Is your car in pieces? Are there numbers stamped on the doors?

"JD" wrote:

Karmann body numbers and Hebmüller body numbers have the same meaning, the Heb body numbers start with a 14- and the Karmann's start with a 15-, these were the VW standard numbers punched into the front panel. You're thinking about the Hebmüller AufBau, which is a Heb specific number on their own tag - and Karmann didn't have these.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
The cars actual number, then? Not the four digits found in the spare wheel well? :?:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
yes, the body number stamped in the spare wheel well. When you send off for a birth certificate, this number is not on it. A few Hebmüllers that have lost their body number but still have their original chassis have managed to find the body number from the Wolfsburg records.  10784.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
axelstruwe
16 years ago
You can ask the Karmann Company for the Body-Number.
The oldest known Karmann Kabrio 1949 from the Volkswagen Museum has got the Body-Number 15-00107. The man who restaured this car for the Volkswagen Museum gave me some Informatios when i restaured my Karmann Kabrio (1950 Body-Nr. 15-000557).
On interesting thing was a copy of the original "Wagenbegeleitkarte" from the Karmann Company (NOT from Volswagen!) They still have informations about our early Karmann Kabrios!
On the "Wagenbegleitkarte" from Karmann are many informations about the car 15-000107. The framenumber, the frontaxlenumber, the gearboxnumber, the colors, the interiour and of course the BODY-NUMBER.
Maybe you have got a chance!

Axel Struwe  10791.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
nev
  • nev
16 years ago
Many thanks for the info Axel, I will write to Karmann.

It was nice to meet you en route to Camberg (my car is the unrestored green car with black hood) I must say your Karmann is amazing.

Cheers
Kevin

nev
  • nev
16 years ago
Unfortunately Karmann could not help me, here's the reply ...

Dear Mr. Maddock,

unfortunately we couldn't provide you with the "Wagenbegleitkarte" of your vehicle, because this information is not available in our archives.
We recommend you to contact Volkswagen's automuseum.

😞

axelstruwe
16 years ago
That`s not a good news... I will ask the men who gave me the information about karmann 107.
I will post his answer, o.k.?

Axel Struwe

the photo shows one of my busses and a situation at my garage every day...;-)  10832.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Tina
16 years ago
WOW :oops: :oops: :oops: 😛 😛 😛
Strange people, strange cars, US Ghost Towns (Ruby and Bodie)
Robinson 22 and 44, Pappelen u. Jelände 911er
axelstruwe
16 years ago
The Volkswagen AG has only the "Wagenbegleitkarten" from chassie
1-085000 until 1-140000 in stock... ;-(

After 1-140000 they wrote all the details of an car in the "Wagenstammbuch"
but without details like the Bodynumber or the color...

The framenumber of the karmann 107 is 1-121217

So no chance...
These information are from Mrs. Neefe from the Automuseum.

Axel Struwe
nev
  • nev
16 years ago
Many thanks for trying for me Axel, I guess the replacement panel I have on the car will remain unstamped.

Cheers
Kevin
pre67vw
16 years ago
Ah well, at least you tried...

Get anywhere with the '47 yet?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
kdf38
16 years ago
Axel, plese feel free to park your busses at my garage any time...

Mike

That`s not a good news... I will ask the men who gave me the information about karmann 107.
I will post his answer, o.k.?

Axel Struwe

the photo shows one of my busses and a situation at my garage every day...;-)

"axelstruwe" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
nev
  • nev
16 years ago

Ah well, at least you tried...

Get anywhere with the '47 yet?

"pre67vw" wrote:

Hi Mate, Yes good news today Paul Wisk will be ready to take Helga in for all her little welding jobs in the next month or two 😃 , then its just a case of paint and reassembly in time for Lavenham :wink: well thats the plan anyway.

Speak soon
Cheers
Kev

PS. I plan to go to Peppercorn on the Sunday, I'll give you a shout beforehand.