Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
16 years ago
Does anyone know where I might be able to source the pressure hose that connects between the spare tyre and the washer bottle? Beetle is a 1967, 1500 but I believe this part was the same between 1962 and 1967.
I can't renew my MOT without working washers 😞
Hope someone can help - these seem like the part the world forgot!
Cheers
Batton
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
jonathan.28
16 years ago
Couldn't you just pressurise the washer bottle with a foot pump? That would get you through your mot. That is what I recently did.
Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
16 years ago
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go. Longer term I'd still like to get hold of a hose if anyone knows of one. Meanwhile I'll just have to keep an eye on ebay and see if one comes up.
Beetle_Mania
16 years ago
Get hold of or buy a cheap foot pump, you should be able toi cut the hose off that and use it. Not original I know but it should work.
Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago
are they an NOS item or does someone make these?
UserPostedImage

Ass, Gas or Grass.... No one Rides for Free!
Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago

Does anyone know where I might be able to source the pressure hose that connects between the spare tyre and the washer bottle? Beetle is a 1967, 1500 but I believe this part was the same between 1962 and 1967.
I can't renew my MOT without working washers 😞
Hope someone can help - these seem like the part the world forgot!
Cheers
Batton

"Batton" wrote:

i have the same problem, is there a bicycle pump adapter that might fit? with a double female end?

Get hold of or buy a cheap foot pump, you should be able toi cut the hose off that and use it. Not original I know but it should work.

"Beetle_Mania" wrote:

how would you get it to securely attach to both wheel and bottle if one of the ends is missing? is there a way to attach another female end to the cut hose?

UserPostedImage

six-o-one
16 years ago
The '68 on washer bottle hose which connects the screw on lid to the tyre valve is available from Wolfsburg West...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311955979C 

The bottles before that 62-67 have a valve on them and you presurise the bottle with a pump.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955945A   11905.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Jules
16 years ago

The '68 on washer bottle hose which connects the screw on lid to the tyre valve is available from Wolfsburg West...

"six-o-one" wrote:

Probably easier to get it a little closer to home, but as you say, not correct for this car which should not have a pipe going to the tyre!

We hold the NOS bottle as shown in stock too!
Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago
thanks jules and six-o-one, its seems its not the pipe im after, thanks for straightening me out on that one, nearly blew £40 🙂
UserPostedImage

Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago
ah, i just noticed, i have the pressurized bottle pre 67, but the previous owner seemd to think that the tyre was used to keep the pressure up on the bottle as well?

i guess its just a pump-up-job then, thanks
UserPostedImage

Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
16 years ago
Hi Johnny,
I think the previous owner might be right. The valve on the bottle will hold sufficient pressurised air to get through the MOT because that's exactly what I did as suggested to me earlier in this thread.
However you don't get too many squirts out of the limited air in just the bottle.

I'm still kind of sure the spare was used. My first Beetle was a 64 bought in 1976 and I'm sure the bottle was pressurised from the spare. I could be very wrong of course - I'm on Beetle number 4 now and have owned a 64, 2 x 72s and currently a 67 so I might be getting them muddled!

Anyway whether original or not I have a practical solution that seems to work really well. Go down to Halfords and buy 2 x bicycle pump adaptor hoses and some pipe and hose repair tape. Use a sharp knife to cut the male fitting off both cycle pump adaptor hoses. Find a piece of brass tube that is a tight fit in the now open ends of the braided hose and join the two together. Use the reinforcing and amalgamating tape exactly as per the instructions to seal the joint and you now have a hose with two female ends to connect between the spare and the bottle valve. Pump the spare up to about 40psi and you'll get weeks of pressure to you washers!

I hope this helps. Anyone else out there tried this?
All the best
Batton 😃 😃 😃
Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago
thats an excellent idea, i'll definitely try it, thanks batton
UserPostedImage

Johnnyâ„¢
16 years ago
Ok i have a solution...

For my 66, i cut a lenght of fuel hose and use fuel hose clips, bought some spare connection valves (£1.50) for a foot pump in my local hardware store for both sides (these are the 'lever clamp' style connectors for a sure grip) and attched them to either end of the hose.

I now have a pressurized from the wheel washer bottle even though its the 'pump up only' bottle. The pressure from the wheel should last a few more weeks than the bottle pressure alone but im sure ill run out of water first. Just have to keep an eye on the spare tyre pressure doesnt drop to low.
UserPostedImage

djkeev
16 years ago
Hi,

In regards to the hose from the washer tank valve to the tire valve...

The hose to the tire IS correct for this car. Maybe not factory installed but correct. I had this setup in 1972 in my 65 but. It is different entirely from the newer style tire pressure system with the pressure hose going into the bottle cap.

I'll post again the quote from the Bentley Service Manual.......

Technical Bulletin z-13 states (paraphrased for length)

Part # 113 955 971 (the hose) can be added as an accessory and connected to the container from the spare tire.
The tire should be filled to 2.5 kg sq./cm (35 psi) and has a check valve that will not drain the tire below 1.3 kg sq./cm (18 psi)
The larger volume of air in the tire enables the container to be filled several times without having to check air pressure.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"