66bug
  • 66bug
  • Guest Topic Starter
19 years ago
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have also a question. My chassis number starts with 116-----, and only has five numbers after that. The registration says its a 68, but from the door handles, the gas filler, the modified electrical system to a 12 volt, and the ingition switch, and all metal dash, i know its a 66.

One little problem is that the chassis number on the tunnel is the only one i can find, but the wheels are four bolt with super beetle rims, 1972 1600cc engine.

Even the fenders, i think have been changed because the previous owner had put 68 bumper supports with a 66 bumper blade, pretty weird!

I have no vin plate in the front nor the vin number on the bottom of the windshield!

How can i really make sure the chassis and body are 66?

Please help! :cry:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vanbloke
19 years ago
hi i have a 66 with the correct chassis number 116 with 6 numbers after but mine is on an E reg and has 4 stud wheels, i cannot make out if it is a correct 1500 or a messed around 1300. The only way is to write to vw in Germany and give them your chassis number and for 15 euros thats about £10.35p you get a complete date of birth and full model history.im sending one off this week so ill have to wait and see. if you want the address i can give you it.....vanbloke 😃

Larry
19 years ago
66bug & vanbloke,

I just read your responces to your situations with your bugs. I own two 1966 bugs, both are stock, therefore I know what they are supposed to look like. Just from what you both described about your bugs it sounds to me like they have been modified by previous owners. One thing is for sure and that is you cannot go by the vehicle registration as to what year the body of the bug actually is. It is possible to take parts from several different donor bugs and make one good driveable bug. Usually that bug will get registered as the year that is stamped on the chassis, below the rear seat.

Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
vanbloke
19 years ago
hi larry, i have a haynes manual and anouther resto book that tells me that from whatever date from 1966 a 1500 would uk bug would have 4 stud front disc brakes but everything on my car suggests that it was altered, i still cant figure out why would someone change from 5 to 4 stud without putting discs on when 5 stud for that year are correct and far more cool, origionally when i went to buy the car it had empi 8 spokes on it, but then they were taken off... anyway cheers you lot 😃
Larry
19 years ago
OK, you got me there :oops: . I know what the 1966 American bugs are supposed to be like. Sometimes I forget that the euro bugs were one year ahead of the American bugs in design. I found that out last year when a friend and I were looking through a photo book of VW's and were rather surprised that we were off by one year describing the year. We then realized that we were looking through a book containing photo's of European VW's.

But then again all brands of cars can be altered quite a bit after 37 years and different ownership.

Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
pre67vw
19 years ago
I had a '66 beetle, RHD with 5 bolt wheels. '67 was when it changed.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
richpeeler
19 years ago
I'm new to this forum and also new to beatle restoration. I just brought home a 1960 type 2. the chassis number is 2 988 597. This does not match any of the common lists. What is up?
pre67vw
19 years ago
Welcome to the forum!

Is it a beetle or a type 2 (transporter). If its a Beetle then the chassis number looks correct for a '60...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW