yodathewise
16 years ago
I need some front seats for my 65 ride ... originals to match the rear seat
i think it's the salt n pepper .... set like ablack n white speckled finish and beige ..... it's a pearl white bug

does anyone know here i could source some ??

i have two good seats but they have blue covers on and i want original

thanks for any help in advance

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
You'll be lucky. Those are almost always kippered. Made from special "Rip-E-Zy"(tm) vinyl.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
yodathewise
16 years ago
really that bad ?? .... does anyone do a repro ??

pre67vw
16 years ago
like these?  12532.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
yodathewise
16 years ago
Yes i presume they match my rear .....

i have a pic of the rear here ..... if this works

UserPostedImage
yodathewise
16 years ago
that seat looks correct can you still get the covers ?

have you refurbed them yourself ? take it isn't for sale ...

another closeup pic

UserPostedImage
Chris
16 years ago

Yes i presume they match my rear .....

i have a pic of the rear here ..... if this works

"yodathewise" wrote:

Why was I expecting the worse :lol: :roll:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Jules
16 years ago
I can supply seat covers in that material, or just the material by the yard.
You are welcome to call me 01702 601155
Click here to see a sample! 
pre67vw
16 years ago

that seat looks correct can you still get the covers ?

have you refurbed them yourself ? take it isn't for sale ...

"yodathewise" wrote:

I got them re-done with the closest I could find and then about a week later I found out about the TMI covers :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
yodathewise
16 years ago
Dilemna .... can anyone help ??

looking at the orig sales brochures on thesamba.com ( paste link )

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/65colors.php 

according to the brochures pearl white had this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/65colors/page4.jpg  ( which i think looks like brown to me )

then the fontana grey has this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/65colors/page2.jpg  ( which looks like my backseat )

Can anyone shed any light on this before i order the wrong seat covers lol ........

thanks in advance for any help ..... i can take more pics of my seat if that helps ?

yodathewise
16 years ago
Anyone else with a pearl white 65 bug ??? can you post any pics of your seats please ??

or even fontana grey ??

mrsherbie
16 years ago

You'll be lucky. Those are almost always kippered. Made from special "Rip-E-Zy"(tm) vinyl.

"JD" wrote:

:lol: How true! This particular fabric is always shredded/torn!

But your rear seat looks immaculate!
Dont follow the samba/various colour guides too closely, there are nearly always more than 1 variation interior in the same year/colour beetle, although there are consistancies too.

If you think your interior is original to the car and the car is quite unmessed with then it probably is correct.

I would order the TMI FABRIC only from Jules, but re-use all the rest of your old original seat vinyl and piping, I mean take the seats to a good trimmer and get them to just make up new facings in the tmi ( + re-pad if needed)
That way you should end up with 'new' seats that will match almost perfectly ( and also not make your car interior smell like the inside of a Chinese plastic factory)

I personally dont like the 'plastic'y' look of a brand new tmi seat cover (or the smell) also I dont like the grey vinyl colour/effect they use for the plain side pieces in this grey salt+pepper type colour scheme.
Jules will correct me if I'm wrong here.

But the tmi pattern fabric alone is spot on.

Some of the tmi interiors are great, ie. the door panels and split bus interiors, but the beetle seats in vinyl I have never liked.
These days I personally prefer a really nicely re-trimmed interior in the wrong but a close fabric, than to see a set of tmi plastic seat covers in a car. You can also use the opportunity to replace your seat facings with actual fabric which is much nicer to use in reality, as many people have done in the past. I have been driving lots of old beetles in this last year with Swedish fabric seats and far prefer the comfort of them to my 63's vinyl seats.

Of course original fabric is the best, but as JD points out, the chances of finding fronts in your fabric are almost a million to 1.
(Oh, I got a chorus of War of the Worlds in my head then :lol: )

There I go, waffling on as usual.. :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann