jutson123
16 years ago
please can anybody help me please!!!
i am the very proud owner of a 64 beetle only one problem they will not give me an mot ticket until i fix the washer bottle.
at the moment i beleive it to be the standard bottle which has a metal type valve to the left on the top and slightly futher along is the screw on cap which has a rubber bung and the tube going up to the push boton inside the car.
mine continues to lose pressure all the time.
is there anywhere i might be able to get parts for this or maybe even a new one?
has is the pressure maintained? i can see know way of connection to the spare wheel.
or does it just get pumped up manually?
help!!!! 😃
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Jules
16 years ago

please can anybody help me please!!!
i am the very proud owner of a 64 beetle only one problem they will not give me an mot ticket until i fix the washer bottle.
at the moment i beleive it to be the standard bottle which has a metal type valve to the left on the top and slightly futher along is the screw on cap which has a rubber bung and the tube going up to the push boton inside the car.
mine continues to lose pressure all the time.
is there anywhere i might be able to get parts for this or maybe even a new one?
has is the pressure maintained? i can see know way of connection to the spare wheel.
or does it just get pumped up manually?
help!!!! 😃

"jutson123" wrote:

It sounds like you do have the correct bottle, it is not ment to be connected to the spare wheel, you should pump it up manually.

In order to maintain pressure I guess everything needs to seal, if you have a leak it could be hard to find. Could be the switch.

We have N.O.S. bottles available at Karmann Konnection, click here  to see a picture.

We also have new switches in stock, and coming very soon some nice 'Chrome' OE style washer jets, no doubt I will post a blatent plug here when they arrive..... next Tuesday I think!
djkeev
16 years ago

[quote="jutson123"]

It sounds like you do have the correct bottle, it is not ment to be connected to the spare wheel, you should pump it up manually

"Jules" wrote:

Hi,

Yes, your car didn't come from the factory with the hose to the tire.
But as noted in the 52 - 57 Bentley manual....

Technical Bulletin z-13 states (paraphrased for length)

Part # 113 955 971 (the hose) can be added as an accessory and connected to the container from the spare tire.
The tire should be filled to 2.5 kg sq./cm (35 psi) and has a check valve that will not drain the tire below 1.3 kg sq./cm (18 psi)
The larger volume of air in the tire enables the container to be filled several times without having to check air pressure.

That being said, not having the hose is not your problem. If you've pressurized it and it doesn't hold air you have an obvious leak.

Fill the unit with air to the stated pressure above, get a soapy solution in a spray bottle such as a window cleaner (Windex over here in the USA) and spray EVERYTHING even remotely associated with the washer unit. The valve, the cap, the entire bottle, the hoses, the back of the switch (key off so you don't short the electrics out) and the knob you push inside the car.

Something somewhere will start blowing bubbles very soon. You've found your leak and take the steps needed to fix it. New hoses, new bottle, new schraeder valve (the spring loaded valve in the metal stem, they go bad and you can get a new one at any tire shop) and the worst case.... a new switch. The bottle can often be fixed if it has a pin hole with a hot solder iron or knife. The lid may just need a new seal.

IF you cannot locate the leak, get the pressure hose to the spare tire (or manufacture one if you are clever), just before the inspection for the washers hook it up and immediately demonstrate that they function. It won't last long but you can legally drive after that but DO GET IT FIXED ASAP. This will buy you time to shop around and find the parts and prices you wish to pay.

Good Luck ! Please let us know how it worked out.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"