pre67vw
16 years ago
Nice effect, but I'm going to have to insist on getting back on topic - this isn't a photography forum!! So HDR VW photos only or the post gets locked.

(also moved to general chat as it's not specifically an oval thread)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
16 years ago

"pre67vw" wrote:

I thought you might do that
mmayson
16 years ago

Nice effect, but I'm going to have to insist on getting back on topic - this isn't a photography forum!! So HDR VW photos only or the post gets locked.

"pre67vw" wrote:

Quite right too! Even though those new shots were superb!

Lets see some VW HDR's then! :lol:
Michael Mayson
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago
In my defense the pictures I took this morning were to illustrate, from never having heard of "HDR" before yesterday evening, to producing some acceptable pictures this morning, you don't need to be a computer nerd.

Most of the pictures I take these days are of VWs in dry sunny weather...anyone seen the forecast for next week? :wink:
John.
pre67vw
16 years ago

In my defense the pictures I took this morning were to illustrate, from never having heard of "HDR" before yesterday evening, to producing some acceptable pictures this morning, you don't need to be a computer nerd.

Most of the pictures I take these days are of VWs in dry sunny weather...anyone seen the forecast for next week? :wink:

"lifeintheslowlane" wrote:

But would it have been too difficult to try the technique out on photos of your Ghia? :wink:

I'm very interested in this thread, generally I'm interested in photography and this HDR stuff looks very interesting. Just trying to keep the forum on-topic (ish) 😃
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago

But would it have been too difficult to try the technique out on photos of your Ghia? :wink:

I'm very interested in this thread, generally I'm interested in photography and this HDR stuff looks very interesting. Just trying to keep the forum on-topic (ish) 😃

"pre67vw" wrote:

I have tried it on some of my recent Ghia pictures but it doesn't really work. They need to be taken in batches of 3 using the "bracket exposure" facility on your camera, giving you the full exposure range from black in the deepest shadows to white in the brightest highlight.

It's the digital version of Ansel Adam's "Zone System" for B&W conventional film photography but this way is sooooo much easier 😃
John.
six-o-one
16 years ago
To produce true HDR images you need to start off with at least 3 brackets of the same shot. You can apply the tone mapping to a single photo to give a similar feel.

pre67vw
16 years ago

To produce true HDR images you need to start off with at least 3 brackets of the same shot. You can apply the tone mapping to a single photo to give a similar feel.

"six-o-one" wrote:

I've shot a lot of stuff in RAW, I'm hoping I'll be able to produce similar results by using these. They're not true bracketing, but should be close?

I've had a look at mmayson's Flixr group and noticed this comment:

This group is for like minded people who enjoy the score me concept but don't like it when their work is turned down because it is an HDR photo.

Does this mean HDR photos are looked down upon in photographic circles?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago

Does this mean HDR photos are looked down upon in photographic circles?

"pre67vw" wrote:

If it is it's a complete nonsense. Manipulation of the film image has been an accepted concept from the earliest days of photography. As far as I'm concerned anything is permissable.

The final image is everything...how you got there is immaterial...but there are anal a**holes in every hobby. :lol:
John.
mmayson
16 years ago
Actually hdr is rather frowned upon, especially by the purists. In answer to the RAW question, you can in Photomatix convert a single RAW image to a pseudo hdr and to be honest the effect is pretty good. There are a couple of groups on flickr which are for hdr from a single RAW (search in the groups and you will find a few). I was looking at the VW hdr pictures from other people on Flickr today and must say they are very impressive.
Michael Mayson