Judson53
15 years ago
Hi guys,my names andy and im the new owner of the car at the top of the thread

I bought it from a guy in essex,who isnt in to vw's,so i got it quiet cheep

The interior need finishing,and ive got a judson supercharger for it,but apart from that its staying like it is

Yes it has been painted in jupiter grey,i dont know if its a standard model, maby some one could tell me things to look for to see if it is or not,as im not realy to sure

Heres some pics of the car for you guys to have a look at

Cheers Andy

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie
15 years ago
Congratulations! It looks like a good car.
It does look like a deluxe for sure, and will benefit from getting a pair of nice oval headlights instead of the 60's ones, It does seem odd to be painted jupiter does'nt it? But why not if someone just liked the colour like we do. I expect one of the 'grey paint boys' on here will know far more than me though.
:d

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Judson53
15 years ago
What makes you think its a deluxe?Im trying to find a set if lights for it now,theres a few little bits like that,that need sorting out

As for the paint,its been resprayed,but theres no sign of a differnt colour,in every corner theres grey paint even faded warn paint underneath!so i can only asume its the original colour :?

was it only standards that came in this colour then?

tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Judson53 wrote:

Looks like it...
Models with Jupiter Grey here  and here . Link to model type numbers here .
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mrsherbie
15 years ago

What makes you think its a deluxe?I

Judson53 wrote:

Yes, BUT I would never rule out unusual odd exceptions and as Tman points out your model no. should help a lot. Certainly a birth certificate from VW, although these days they rarely seem to list paint colour, But if you can see it underneath of course you could be right.
Your car has all the deluxe parts and they look very nice parts, but then standard seats, this explains far better than I can, and you see there are exceptions with body trim levels! :

standard ovals thread 

:d

Judson53
15 years ago
The modle number or type on the plate under the bonet is 1/11

but that makes it LHD,which it isnt

im confused:? :roll:
RoRoVw
15 years ago
It certainly looks like a deluxe, apart from the colour. However if its a standard then it will have all cable brakes, ie no brake master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir etc and also no synchromesh on any of the gears, ie it will be difficult to change gear and you'll need to double de-clutch. The seats may have been changed at any time if the originals were worn out.
Judson53
15 years ago
nope im wrong is a badly pressed 4

so that will make it a RHD deluxe modle :lol:

My other problem is with the head linning.on the thred of standard beetles theres a grey one on there and the inside of mine looks like his,mines got no retailing strips (if thats what there called) to hold the extra parts of the deluxe head linner in place,like down the side if the pillers ect

in not sure if there ment to have these,but my 1300 72 beetle did and im just going on what that had

sorry for rambeling and being a pain,i want to try to get this car right :roll:

cheers andy
Judson53
15 years ago
its got no sycros on any gears,but its got hydrolic breaks
mrsherbie
15 years ago

sorry for rambeling and being a pain,i want to try to get this car right :roll:

Judson53 wrote:

Dont worry you will never ramble as much as I do :lol:

I dont have my camera with me but I have chopped these pics down to show the carpet strip. It is factory spotwelded along the vertical edge you cant see in these pics
on my 55 oval

UserPostedImage

and on my 50 (deluxe) with no carpet ( the floorpan is off in this pic)

UserPostedImage

Are you sure they are not still there but just neatly tapped down and closed up? That's what I did to mine as I didnt want carpet .

It is not likely that your headlining strips have been removed but certainly not impossible! I removed mine, very carefully, took me about 2 days :lol: but I used a spotweld remover drill bit and took just the centre of every spotweld out until the strips peeled away. I have them complete in a box as I think I might put the car back some day. They would be hard to find but again not impossible if you want to put them back, just find someone breaking any bug and ask if you can remove them, you could get the carpet strips the same way.
The strips should be along the tops of the doorframes and all down middle pillars, then either side of back window panel ( I assume the same as split)

Of course attaching them without damaging your paint will be impossible.

I would'nt bother if it was me, it is far nicer than most of the ovals out there regardless :d

Judson53
15 years ago
Thanks for that, wolfsburg west do the carpet strip so when i get my carpet and seat covers i can order that to

About the head linning,the hooks could have been removed!but in the center section of the roof,there is signes of old glue thats been painted over,you can feel it through the paint!but on the door pillars and aroud the rear window (and all the other places the deluxe modles have head linning)theres nothing just smooth paint doesnt look like its ever been touched

mrsherbie
15 years ago
When you get chance to get it up on a ramp or axle stands, get right under and look at the area up directly above the gearbox, rub the paint, its one of the last places to find og paint, rarely keyed and gearbox often left in during paint. Only maybe..
But when you have oily hands and dirt & leaves in your hair please dont be angry with me if you dont find anything! :shock: :lol:
Judson53
15 years ago
just climbed underneath,it seams to be a dark grey
mrsherbie
15 years ago
You might be surprised how invisible removing trim can be done with enough time, the strip comes away and just leaves tiny dimples, not holes that primer and paint mostly fill
UserPostedImage

Thats handy I had no idea the trim strips are repro'd! much easier! I expect I have pics of mine before I removed it somewhere if you need location pics when you come to fit it. I would think that if you drill a line of small holes along through the strip you could very neatly weld it and it will look like spotwelds if you drill in exact matching original spotweld locations to an original pic

The centre headlining would have had soundproofing glued to the inside of the roof, (like the inside outer skins of the the doors originally, but different type ) to prevent 'drumming' I would guess?
Anyway, you can replace it or live without it quite easily, it tends to come away from under the rear window far easier with moisture over the years and the padding is not glued down the door pillars or above the door frames so they are always clean underneath! :d
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I notice they left the door glass in when they painted it? if you get a plastic spatula from the kitchen or something that wont scratch the paint, slide it under the inside of the quarterlight rubber seal and lift and see whats under there? It will lift up slightly, be gentle and dont be tempted to use anything metal! 😳 :lol:

I just noticed in the same pic, the 'cross' of the glue of the original factory soundproofing in the doors

Maybe it really was a deluxe ordered in Jupiter! Anything is possible! :d
Judson53
15 years ago
thnks for all you help, still bit confused about it all,

is any one going to pepercorn on the weekend?is it any good ive neveer been to it
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

thnks for all you help, still bit confused about it all,

is any one going to pepercorn on the weekend?is it any good ive neveer been to it

Judson53 wrote:

Yes, very good show, but has always been pretty wet over the past few years. It used to be THE hardcore vintage show, but has turned into a more 'generic' VW show over the years.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Judson53
15 years ago
well i got the birth certificate for my car today,

and its a standard model:lol: ,delivered to vw motors ltd london on the 4th september 1953,it came with the crome bumpers,door handles ect,

it also had M007,M008,M010,M063 and M108 witch couldnt be identified? any body got any idea what these are?
Caledfryn
15 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php 

There's an M code list on Samba, but it doesn't seem to be much use for your list! Sorry.

Intriguing that M007 was for London delivered Beetles! Have you checked to see whether you have machine guns mounted in the spare wheel well ? :shock:
Ovalbug
15 years ago

well i got the birth certificate for my car today,

and its a standard model:lol: ,delivered to vw motors ltd london on the 4th september 1953,it came with the crome bumpers,door handles ect,

it also had M007,M008,M010,M063 and M108 witch couldnt be identified? any body got any idea what these are?

Judson53 wrote:

My deluxe was built on 22/9/53 and delivered to VW Motors London on 24 Sept and that too has M007,M008 M010 and M108 that cannot be identified.......

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD